Options

Non-traceable photo URL

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
edited March 29, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Under "Share" "Get a Link" photo links add a link for a non-traceable URL for posting in forums and on sites like Facebook.

example
http://cdn.smugmug.com/photos/i-9fbXML3/1/M/img_3690_7d2-M.jpg

I've seen it asked many times by people to be able to post photos and not reveal their site.
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2014
    :) You beat me to it!

I support this request.

I don't want to Hide Owner on my Gallery, just the content in the gallery when they are shared on social media. When a user is explicitly browsing my gallery I don't want/need to the hide owner as it breaks the look and feel of my site. I just don't want the resulting shared images leading back to my site.

Thanks for the consideration.

ETA: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=246191
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Under "Share" "Get a Link" photo links add a link for a non-traceable URL for posting in forums and on sites like Facebook.

example
    http://cdn.smugmug.com/photos/i-9fbXML3/1/M/img_3690_7d2-M.jpg

I've seen it asked many times by people to be able to post photos and not reveal their site.
    I just used a photo from a passworded gallery constructing this link and the photo showed
    in a Facebook message.
    Everything in the gallery is set same as public gallery except for the added password.
    So my family or anyone with the password can share a photo without disclosing the site, great.

Would be much easier for them if "get a Link" had this copyable link.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2014
    It would be great if the owner of the gallery could indicate if the 'get links' on the content should provide the hidden link or the non-hidden link rather than provide an either or option to the guest.
    I just read another thread where an owner wanted to allow guests to share the content of a password protected site. In my opinion, that should be an option on the content. An owner wants to password protect the gallery, but allow the content to be shared. In that scenario you would want the gallery password protected, but the content shouldn't just inherit the security - it gets its own options. So if an owner has a password protected gallery and they want to allow their guests,who have passwords, to share the content on social media the owners would allow the option on the content to 1) Allow sharing on social media and/or 2) Hide Owner - while retaining the security options on the gallery

I could see a case in the other post where the owner might want to not hide the owner, but also not want to allow the passive social media viewer of the content access back to that password protected gallery. The intent of the guest with rights to that gallery was just share one photo - not to allow a back door into the entire gallery.