Options

Breadcrumbs in the new Smugmug

1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited March 31, 2014 in SmugMug Support
My breadcrumbs are clicked as "On" and to "display full breadcrumbs", yet when I go to a gallery from the main browsing page, the browse page itself is skipped in the breadcrumbs. Maybe part of the problem is that I have not set up folders yet?? I was using categories and subcategories in the old Smugmug, but the new Smugmug wants nested folders instead. It looks to me like Smug converted my categories to folders but I am not actually sure if that is true or not.
My humble gallery...
www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
www.poolinaction.com

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2014
    Cats and sub-cats are nested folders. /browse is like the legacy category/gallery box on the legacy
    homepage, browse just shows that box. So instead of having names like legacy cat, sub-cat,
    sub-sub-cat, sub-sub-sub-cat they are just nested folders on NewSmug.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2014
    Browse is a special page that just shows your top level galleries and folders. It will only show in your breadcrumbs on that page. Once you click a gallery, it will show the path in the breadcrumbs but not under browse.
    The new SmugMug does convert your categories and subcategories to folders. See the new hierarchy.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1213252
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2014
    mrneutron wrote: »
    Browse is a special page that just shows your top level galleries and folders. It will only show in your breadcrumbs on that page. Once you click a gallery, it will show the path in the breadcrumbs but not under browse.
    The new SmugMug does convert your categories and subcategories to folders. See the new hierarchy.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1213252
    Very strange. I will never understand the thought process behind computer programmers, lol. I know I use breadcrumbs a lot on many sites to save strokes going back up a level when I am on a website. It defeats the purpose to have the "Browse" level missing. Yes, I know I could use the "back" button on the browser, but that is no shortcut if you have been wandering around on a site at the level you are at -- back can be a ton of steps -- to me, that is why you have breadcrumbs. ne_nau.gif
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2014
    On legacy you could add the category/gallery box to your homepage. Then a hack was invented to create a "galleries" page.
    But this page was just a duplicate "homepage" showing only the category/gallery box. Clicking anything in it the breadcrumb
    went back to the homepage not "galleries". The same happens with "browse", Breadcrumb goes to the homepage.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    On legacy you could add the category/gallery box to your homepage. Then a hack was invented to create a "galleries" page.
    But this page was just a duplicate "homepage" showing only the category/gallery box. Clicking anything in it the breadcrumb
    went back to the homepage not "galleries". The same happens with "browse", Breadcrumb goes to the homepage.
    I guess you are saying "because it has to"?? Just one of those things I don't understand, lol.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2014
    1pocket wrote: »
    I guess you are saying "because it has to"?? Just one of those things I don't understand, lol.
    Once you click to anything from the browse page the normal breadcrumb shows.
    Smug created the browse page to emulate the galleries page we created on legacy. At least
    now the browse page is fully customizable.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    1pocket wrote: »

I agree, and have made this point on other threads. I get how it's working, but I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense. Maybe the problem is the term "breadcrumbs". Smugmug uses the term "breadcrumbs" to represent your path from your top folder to a folder or gallery. A "true" breadcrumb would show the "browse" page. I've gotten used to the idea that what Smugmug calls breadcrumbs don't really function as breadcrumbs, but I don't much like it.