Options

refining the same idea.

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited April 4, 2014 in People
Just trying to refine this idea.....they are popular here, for now.

i-23BqWLK-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    I don't understand the multiple rings..... Is it possible a baseball player could 'earn' or be entitled to all four rings?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2014
    This fellow plays in multiple leagues and is finishing his senior year. He has been scouted by 14 major league teams and is waiting to see the draft. His league won the world championship in their div in Minnesota (Sp).
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    Ah.... then the multiple rings makes sense for context. Sounds like a heck of a promising career for him.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    I like the idea, but think the size of the rings overpower the subject a bit.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    Well, I love a lot of your other work but this idea isn't my cup of tea. On this shot I especially don't like how the group of shards at the bottom is repeated on the left and right. Looks lazy.

Perhaps I would like it if you fixed that and if he was swinging the bat towards the camera, shattering my monitor.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2014
    Scott, this 17yr fellow has an accurate 97mph fast ball.

John and Jack, thanks for your eye and comments. Will try to rework it a bit. I tend to grind out some of these without always using an artistic eye.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2014
    I think with the broken shards, this picture would work better if he were swinging the bat to connect the image of him with the implied action. He looks too static.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2014
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    I think with the broken shards, this picture would work better if he were swinging the bat to connect the image of him with the implied action. He looks too static.

Maybe even have it landscape so its an upper body shot. Have the rings in the four corners and a baseball to be the object that is getting shattered.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2014
    Charles, since you stated he throws an accurate 97 MPH fastball, how about a landscape photo of him throwing a pitch with some room to the right for the rings, then have a target with the center exploding with a blurred ball behind it with your 3D effect on the ball, on the left, so it looks like it is coming off the photo? I think that would look killer!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the shards.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    Really hope I don't offend, but the first thing that popped into my head was, "style over substance."
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2014
    Although I agree with some of the statements these go over very well and the WOW factor gets them in the door. I will admit that I tend to do these quickly and at times not enough thought. I need to develop more patience as I work but then deadlines trump patience.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    If I am being honest and it is no help to you if I am not. This is sketchy. If you want to sell this type of product take a couple months and work on your style and presentation and then re-introduce it one you have perfected this type of work.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    We are a tough audience. We all know how to use PS. We can see how you've done this collage. We've also seen some incredible PS work which we can all aspire to.

To the average client, this work will impress and get them in the door.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Don't worry no one can really offend me unless I let them and I love a tough audience, it pushes me and I welcome that. One of the items I like about this forum is that it is 180 degrees from the folks who educated me and that I hang out with. The folks here are what I call New Yorkish magazine/editorial photographers than the traditional portrait photographers. The two camps don't seem to mix and in reality it is two distinct styles but I've always been one to learn from all and take what I like and apply it to my work. So keep up the tough comments and let er rip.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Ok, a few that are not so complicated but sell.

1. i-tbKm4xK-X3.jpg

2. i-kDFgCDG-X3.jpg

3. i-wjCspgS-X3.jpg
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Don't worry no one can really offend me unless I let them and I love a tough audience, it pushes me and I welcome that. One of the items I like about this forum is that it is 180 degrees from the folks who educated me and that I hang out with. The folks here are what I call New Yorkish magazine/editorial photographers than the traditional portrait photographers. The two camps don't seem to mix and in reality it is two distinct styles but I've always been one to learn from all and take what I like and apply it to my work. So keep up the tough comments and let er rip.

In the end, work on here is shown to a different crowd than the end customer. The end customer just sees the razzle dazzle and wow factor of what looks like magazine quality stuff. Ultimately these are going to be keepsakes for families. As long as the customer gets the WOW emotion that is all that matters.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Ultimately these are going to be keepsakes for families. As long as the customer gets the WOW emotion that is all that matters.

If that isn't the truth nothing is!!!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    these go over very well and the WOW factor gets them in the door.

Then, my friend, they are spectacular. If it makes the cash register ring, that's what this biz is all about.

I always try to remind myself that many of the world greatest and revered artists died broke.