Options

Possible to steal protected images

bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited April 2, 2014 in Bug Reporting
I am not sure this is the right place to post this, but I discovered a way to come around the right click protection of images. If an album has External embedding turned on, it is possible to copy the link and paste it in a new browser window, and then drag the image to the desktop. Should this be possible? I would like a possibility to turn off the Get a link feature.

Comments

• Options
    BeaBea Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    Hi,

It is a standard behaviour. That's why we suggest to

1. Turn on protection for all galleries.
    2. Reduce the display size of the images to something smaller than original. The smaller the better.
    3. Use a watermark.
    4. Turn off external linking and easy sharing options.

If you turn off External Embedding in the Gallery Settings > Security & Privacy section, your visitors will not see "Get a link" among the sharing options. We also explain more about image protection on the following help page:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230107-how-can-i-protect-my-images-

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any further questions.
    Bea
    SmugMug Support Hero | My website: www.beabird.net
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2014
    Thanks for the help! It also seems that images for sale are better protected than others, because copying a link only will lead to a page to buy the image.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited April 2, 2014
    Thanks for the help! It also seems that images for sale are better protected than others, because copying a link only will lead to a page to buy the image.
    Don't be fooled by right click protection - it doesn't protect anything. If an image can be viewed online it can be easily stolen from the browser cache. Images for sale are no different from those that are not for sale.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2014
    Don't be fooled by right click protection - it doesn't protect anything. If an image can be viewed online it can be easily stolen from the browser cache. Images for sale are no different from those that are not for sale.

--- Denise

OK, maybe I should purchase a Portfolio account and add watermarks to my images.