Options

Pricelist - local currency, metric system, price of transport?

pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited April 2, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

as much as I like smugmug and will apply for the Power option, I am starting to be disappointed by the lack of localisation options. As for comments, etc., user interface is minimalistic, I think, that our fans/customers can bear it, however, following items are really a bit problem for us, so much, that if not resolved, business wise, thy system is not usable for us:

- I want to be able to set my local currency, which is CZK. That should not be problem to add, no? Just let ppl allow to add currency name and the exchange rate

- what I also did not find out is, what is the price of transport, if I would like to get my prints e.g. from Ezphoto to the Czech Republic?

- lack of metric system. Because of above two points, I might "buy" photos for my customers myself, but when you live and breathe different metric system, it is difficult to constantly recalculate.

Without above points resolved, I am not sure I can use your business layer, and it is a big pity, because other than that, your system is really nice ...

Best regards,
Petr

Comments

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 27, 2013
    Hi Petr,
    I'm sorry, but currently 5 major currencies are available for your customers to choose from. Adding new ones is not as easy as you'd imagine; I'm sorry this is not the answer you'd like to hear. As for shipping, there is no formula as the cost depends on many factors: the lab, the number and sizes of prints/merchandise ordered, the shipping address and the shipping method. The best and most accurate way to calculate shipping costs is to put items in the shopping cart and enter the shipping address, and you will see the cost of all shipping methods available. Lastly: all our labs use inches for prints; Loxley, our European lab, does show dimensions in centimeters too, when you click on an item in the shopping cart.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2013
    Ana,

thanks for the reply. I am former programmer and SW architect, so I can imagine, that things might not be easy under the surface. However, please get the message to your dev team. I really think that missing on some important features might mean some missing business oportunities. Here's what I suggest:

- PhotoShelter has 23 currencies. I am not necessarily saying, that you need to include more than what is available, as I can understand, it might not be so easy. However, what about at least "display currency". You need to add just three items, currency name, e.g. CZK, and exchange rate to e.g. USD, plus the checkbox, if we want to display alternate currency info. It could be in smaller letters, italic, so that interface does not become too cluttered. That way, the main currency still might be one of the supported, and simple recalculation could be used to provide ppl with local currency amount.

- metric units. It is even simpler than the currency, and once again - PhotoShelter provides you with the option to use either inches, or to define your own metrics. It is imo absolutly unrelated, to what particular print services provide. Once again, alternate (metric) info could be used as a display option. It would REALLY help to make system more acceptable international wise

- if above two points could not be fixed (and I really think, that actually not supporting it is your architecture "bug"), you should at least consider to move actions to the lower level plan support. I would at least like my clients to mark their photo candidates (likes), but as your business layer is absolutly insufficient for me, because of above two points, it would be luxury to subscribe for the top business plan to use just client feedback via actions/likes.

Hopefully you can understand my concerns ...

Best regards,
    Petr
  • Options
    ArilfotoArilfoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2014
    I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet!
    I've talked to customer support tonight and it seems like it's not even in their plans of improvement. Too bad, 'cos one thing is that I have to convert inches to cm all the time, which isn't really a problem, but my clients are gonna have a hard time converting, plus of course the currency issue...
  • Options
    A380900A380900 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    Hear, hear!