Google +1 Button and Google+ Badge

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited April 3, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Happy Monday Dgrinners!

As a big Google+ User, I am happy to announce the Google +1 button is now a part of the Share buttons in the Social bucket of the Customizer. But we didn't stop there. We also gave you the ability to embed your Google+ Badge anywhere on your SmugMug site. This is also available in the Social bucket of the Customizer.

Take a look!

00000084-X3.png

Please post questions and feedback here in this thread.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    COOL BEANS! I guess I know what I'll be working on tomorrow...
    edited January 6, 2014
    Quick question.

Does the Profile Badge only accept personal G+ Profiles? I can make one using that, but I can't seem to make one using my business G+ Profile.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    great stuff, thanks Michael!

Ok firstly, I'm seeing strange spacing on my social media box (bottom of my homepage) - looks like the twitter button is wider than it needs to be? I had a look through my css and couldn't find anything adjusting it - is it a problem with my site or with the buttons?
    edited January 6, 2014
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Quick question.

Does the Profile Badge only accept personal G+ Profiles? I can make one using that, but I can't seem to make one using my business G+ Profile.

I'm getting the same.

Looks like personal and page badges work slightly differently
    https://developers.google.com/+/web/badge/

Page badges are optimised to include +1s and enable Direct Connect, which affects search listings.

Can we get page badges as well please?
  • snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 6, 2014
    paulbrock wrote: »
    great stuff, thanks Michael!

Ok firstly, I'm seeing strange spacing on my social media box (bottom of my homepage) - looks like the twitter button is wider than it needs to be? I had a look through my css and couldn't find anything adjusting it - is it a problem with my site or with the buttons?

Unfortunately, both the +1 button and the Twitter button don't size themselves intelligently (Facebook does), so you may have to write a bit of CSS to position the buttons correctly for your particular counts. Something like this should work (where you tweak the margin to your liking):
    .sm-page-widget-socialbuttons .twitter {
      margin-right: -20px !important;
    }

SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the extra spacing that Twitter includes on their button throws the spacing off. We are in the process of reordering them now to fix this.

Also, yes, including pages is the follow up part of the badge that we are working on now. I should have mentioned that. Sorry!
    edited January 6, 2014
    that'll do for me I think, cheers snakeeye11!
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    Very specky. Well done all involved!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the extra spacing that Twitter includes on their button throws the spacing off. We are in the process of reordering them now to fix this.

Also, yes, including pages is the follow up part of the badge that we are working on now. I should have mentioned that. Sorry!
    Morning Michael,
    What do you think the time line will be for Google + "Pages" will be? Going by the email I got last night,that states the Google+ Button has been completed and closed,when it don't work for pages yet

Thanks again
    Dave
    edited January 15, 2014
    Djm3006 wrote: »
    Morning Michael,
    What do you think the time line will be for Google + "Pages" will be? Going by the email I got last night,that states the Google+ Button has been completed and closed,when it don't work for pages yet

Thanks again
    Dave

Heya Dave!

Very, very close from my understanding :) I will update as soon as it's ready.
    edited January 21, 2014
    Hi everyone,

You should now be able to create Google+ badges using your pages. Please let us know if you have any issues.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    edited January 21, 2014
    Thanks! Worked like a charm, and I really like that size slider!
    edited January 22, 2014
    Thanks Snake! I meant to deliver the good news but he beat me to it. Great work!
    edited January 22, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

You should now be able to create Google+ badges using your pages. Please let us know if you have any issues.

-Mike

Nice work guys,

Dave
    edited January 22, 2014
    marvellous thanks. Working fine here, but FYI it struggled to render the badges in preview/customisation mode, getting the "THERE WAS A PROBLEM RENDERING THIS BADGE" message more often than not.
    edited January 22, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hey guys!

the extra spacing that Twitter includes on their button throws the spacing off. We are in the process of reordering them now to fix this.

Any news on this Michael

Dave
    edited January 24, 2014
    Any news on this Michael

Dave

Hmmmm, I know Snakeeyes is working on this. Let me check up on it.
    edited January 24, 2014
    Any news on this Michael

Dave

Unfortunately, there wasn't a "one size fits all" solution for this problem. Sure, we can lay out the buttons so everything lines up nicely when all the share counts are zero, but it would quickly break down once you start accumulating shares. Ultimately, until each service sizes their button properly (Facebook is the only one doing that today), it will require some custom CSS to tailor the spacing for each particular use case.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    edited January 24, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there wasn't a "one size fits all" solution for this problem. Sure, we can lay out the buttons so everything lines up nicely when all the share counts are zero, but it would quickly break down once you start accumulating shares. Ultimately, until each service sizes their button properly (Facebook is the only one doing that today), it will require some custom CSS to tailor the spacing for each particular use case.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, will do
  • jrhesseyjrhessey Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Can someone tell me what I doing wrong here? I'm trying to place the Google+ badge in a bio page. When i enter my profile url, the "please enter a valid google+ url" disappears and I get a blank window. The badge type is set to page, that the profile type I'm working with. I've tried profile as well, still nothing. Nothing appears for this content block or the social content block. Not sure what I've done wrong.

Here is the g+ url I'm trying https://plus.google.com/109742763644498429081 and it takes me directly to the page.

Here is the BIO pageI'm playing around with http://donhesseyphotography.smugmug.com/Bio

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    edited February 10, 2014
    Your Google + Badge is on your Bio page
  • jrhesseyjrhessey Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    Never mind, I have do not track me installed in Chrome and that was blocking it. Makes me feel better I wasn't an idiot trying to figure it out... Thanks!
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    FWIW I see the badge almost immediately in Firefox but in Chrome it takes over 10 seconds before it shows. ne_nau.gif

Aside: Firefox seems reluctant to show your Facebook "Like" thing - for a minute or so it shows the word "false" then that disappears and leaves a space. It loads fine in Chrome. Your social icons and login link on the left are also positioned differently headscratch.gif

Chrome:
    i-LjghzjW.jpg

Firefox:
    i-ZCfjhkC.jpg
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    FWIW I see the badge almost immediately in Firefox but in Chrome it takes over 10 seconds before it shows. ne_nau.gif
    FWIW I tried your site at the URL above in firefox and everything was up in about a second, and didn't see a "false". Maybe they fixed it? Caveat: I am on a fast connection.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Ferguson wrote: »
    FWIW I tried your site at the URL above in firefox and everything was up in about a second, and didn't see a "false". Maybe they fixed it? Caveat: I am on a fast connection.
    Thanks, but I was referring to the OP's site, not mine. Using FF, I still see the "false" on that when I click the link posted to the bio page, and I'm on 60 meg (in theory) ne_nau.gif

Are we getting crossed lines here?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • lindsaytblumlindsaytblum Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2014
    Just curious...is there an update on this? (regarding adding your page vs. profile).
    Thanks!
  • zcrookstonzcrookston Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    This is such great news. I can't believe I missed this.