wide angle
8% 3 votes
lines and curves
51% 18 votes

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    I shoot after dark all the time, so I oughter vote for that one. But I picked lines and curves instead, might be a good learning experience. I like all of these choices, wide angle shooting is gobs of fun.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    I've just decorated my kitchen, & wanted some good food/market shots to put up... VOTE FOOD!:D
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I shoot after dark all the time, so I oughter vote for that one. But I picked lines and curves instead, might be a good learning experience. I like all of these choices, wide angle shooting is gobs of fun.
    I like to eat and drink, so that is not a good topic for me .I am worried I might consume my subject matter before I can get a quaility shot of it.rolleyes1.gif

Tim
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    Food? Been there, done that. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

2366318-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I voted for winde angle. Come on, everyone, it's so challenging and the great photographers are so good at it and frankly it's a mystery to me how they do it. Liines and curves? Remember the cones thing? Remember the circles thing? Really, how much did you get out of that compared to the last three challenges:
    1. Quality of Light
    2. Movement
    3. People in your Neighborhood
    Each of these forced me into real growth as a photographer. I can't say that for the "shapes" challenges. After Dark would also be great. And I suppose "Food" could be like wedding photography, possible to make a living at it once you get the hang of it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I like to eat and drink, so that is not a good topic for me .I am worried I might consume my subject matter before I can get a quaility shot of it.rolleyes1.gif

Tim
    That's a big problem, that I unfortunately share, could be fun trying though!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    I voted lines and curves.. I'm going for a four day road trip so who knows.. more likely to get "fast food" but I'm trying to stick to my diet.

:D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Wide angle, or How Wide the Angle
    To be honest, I thought I had voted, guess not.

Yes, I do like wide angle photography. Probably my only concern would be the cost of wide angle digital lenses. Also people shooting with point and shoot cameras.

The widest angle I have was used on my Summer Storm photo, that is the kit lens for the Rebel. 28 to something. (I am anything but technical)

Would someone, in authority, explain to me how wide, the wide angle would be, and how the lack of a wide angle lens would be addressed on the pt and shoot.

I am mentioning this first off, not remembering what else intrigues me, as I saw Rutt's comment, and I remembered that I had thought of wide angle, as I love looking at wide angle photography............not the type that distorts, but the type that incorporates several subjects in one, I would say ala Leibowitz, I think that is the spelling.....and I also think she may have gotten away from several subjects in one thing. Anyway, I had thought of it, then thought of the problem of "what is wide angle" and how wide the lens. In other words, would we be excluding people.

That is another thing, is there any way to narrow down the criteria of the subjects at hand on The Challenges. I felt like I was comparing apples and oranges while voting on this last challenge. I wanted to vote for several, they were each good, but in slightly different categories I thought.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    wide angle defined
    i ran a challenge at dpreview on wide angle

here's the poop

i made the requirements anything at or under 50mm (in 35mm format) focal length. anybody can play here, the newer digicams all go wider than 50mm. and with a dslr, most folks have something in their lens arsenal that's under 50mm.

take a look at the challenge winners and entries here
    ginger_55 wrote:
    To be honest, I thought I had voted, guess not.

Yes, I do like wide angle photography. Probably my only concern would be the cost of wide angle digital lenses. Also people shooting with point and shoot cameras.

The widest angle I have was used on my Summer Storm photo, that is the kit lens for the Rebel. 28 to something. (I am anything but technical)

Would someone, in authority, explain to me how wide, the wide angle would be, and how the lack of a wide angle lens would be addressed on the pt and shoot.

I am mentioning this first off, not remembering what else intrigues me, as I saw Rutt's comment, and I remembered that I had thought of wide angle, as I love looking at wide angle photography............not the type that distorts, but the type that incorporates several subjects in one, I would say ala Leibowitz, I think that is the spelling.....and I also think she may have gotten away from several subjects in one thing. Anyway, I had thought of it, then thought of the problem of "what is wide angle" and how wide the lens. In other words, would we be excluding people.

That is another thing, is there any way to narrow down the criteria of the subjects at hand on The Challenges. I felt like I was comparing apples and oranges while voting on this last challenge. I wanted to vote for several, they were each good, but in slightly different categories I thought.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    Rutt, passionately argued, sir, from the heart! iloveyou.gif

Not that I'm any good at it, but I think wide angle shooting is relatively easy. Just shove something interesting close to the lens, frame it right, and bingo! A wide angle shot. mwink.gif It's loads of fun shoving the lens close to stuff and getting the whacky perspective - it's more like playing than shooting, it's so much fun. That's my take anyway, and why I went elsewhere.

Actually, I think Ginger makes a pretty good point that hadn't occurred to me - shooting wide angle is equipment dependant, and folks with dSLRs might not have the requisite lenses. ne_nau.gif Can't remember at what focal length wide angle is considered to start. headscratch.gif

Anyhoo, it was interesting to read your comments about circles and triangles, I felt those challenges provided limited learning opportunities. But for me, lines and curves are a completely different thing. The way it struck me, lines and curves are not about shooting an object, but rather are about gracefully incorporating lines and curves into your overall composition. So instead of looking for an object to include in my shot, I'm looking for a full-frame composition that is held together by lines and/or curves. I see it as an interesting and challenging exercise in composition. And wouldn't it be cool to include quality of light in the shot as well? naughty.gif

Anyway, good discussion, thanks for bringing it up. And Ginger, you're a troublemaker, lady, I've got my eye on you. umph.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i ran a challenge at dpreview on wide angle

i made the requirements anything at or under 50mm (in 35mm format) focal length. anybody can play here, the newer digicams all go wider than 50mm. and with a dslr, most folks have something in their lens arsenal that's under 50mm.

take a look at the challenge winners and entries here

Woohee, I can see how crude was my interpretation of wide angle. Those are some fiercely beautiful shots.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    winners/players: a gallery....here and there, Andy??
    Ok, I voted. Thanks, Andy.

Another question, what about a gallery of winners, finalists, or something, I would like one myself. (Not for myself, we have had some great winners, will have more, etc.)

And that leads me into, Andy, when you host these other contests, well, I have tried to find the ones at dPreview, and I couldn't. Would you have any suggestions where to look at galleries of winners/players on other forums of subjects we are covering?

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    Got it, thanks for being so swift, Andy, smile...
    Ask and ye shall immediately receive. I found that I had missed the direction to the winners of the wide angle "challenge" there.

Good lord, those are some fine pictures. Couldn't the rest of you change your vote to wide angle, lol.

Maybe next time.

But I did wonder, I am not sure I understand lines and curves, in fact I know I don't.......... I loved the staircase on the "winners" site that we were directed to in the wide angle shoot out. First thought was "well, gosh darn, that is a curve".

Before that, all I could think of was the yellow lines on a road.

My thinking appears to be limited today, and yesterday, too. I am kind of chilling until thursday when Andy says something wise about reflections. I am tensing up on that one. (And it is not well covered in all the library photography books I have here.)

g (me, trouble? nah, it just finds me.)
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    I think that stairwell in the wide angle challenge is an excellent example of curves.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

Tim
    Just so long as we don't see a picture from *after* you consume it! :yikes
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Just so long as we don't see a picture from *after* you consume it! :yikes
    :eek1
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 15, 2004
    lines + curves = geometry

you have the engineer geek seal of approval on that one!!!
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]