Options

Lens quality

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited April 19, 2014 in Accessories
A friend and i were discussing possible change over from Canon to Nikon. We both have decent kits already
however, she is thinkin of switching for dynamic range.

Got me thinking though. Does Nikon have different quality glass like canon does?

Does Nikon have, like Canon does, an "L" series? Is Nikon glass just Nikon glass and that's that?
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited April 2, 2014
    Nikon puts a gold ring on the front of their best lenses. They also put a large price tag on their best lenses (just like all camera manufacturers.)

Both Nikon and Canon have an assortment of consumer (entry level), prosumer/enthusiast and professional quality lenses, although there is not a direct 1-to-1 relationship. Each manufacturer has particular strengths and deficiencies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    A friend and i were discussing possible change over from Canon to Nikon. We both have decent kits already
    however, she is thinkin of switching for dynamic range.

Got me thinking though. Does Nikon have different quality glass like canon does?

Does Nikon have, like Canon does, an "L" series? Is Nikon glass just Nikon glass and that's that?

Nikon "ED" is the closest equivalent to Canon L. Just as Canon makes excellent glass that doesn't carry the L, so does Nikon make great glass that is not ED.

You'll find an incredibly similar lineup of glass between the two. The ONE lens that Canon has that I truly wish Nikon did is the 24-105. And Nikon has the 200-400 zoom that Canon doesn't (or may have just introduced, I am not sure.).

The camera's are more alike than different, and there are certainly a few things on the Canon's I'd love to have on my Nikons, like that scroll wheel... that's just brilliant. Nikon's fit my hand better, and I prefer Nikon's view on backward compatibility which is why I shifted there in the first place.

Best of luck if you decide to change over.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    ... And Nikon has the 200-400 zoom that Canon doesn't (or may have just introduced, I am not sure.).

Yes, Canon's 200 - 400 f4 ... with built in 1.4x Tc is now available (actually saw one at a recent show) ... but you'll need very deep pockets and the chances of finding one used (unlike the Nikon version) are well nigh non-existant I'd imagine :)

You'd probably be able to get a used Nikon version + decent body and 1.4x for less than just the Canon lens, methinks.

One other lens unique to Canon is their mpe 65 ... a 1x > 5x macro zoom lens. No infinity focus capability, so definitely for keen macro types.

Uncertain about this now, but Canon's 70 - 200 lineup of 4 offerings (all L) used to offer a wider choice than Nikon in the same range.

pp
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    similar kits
    Nikon "ED" is the closest equivalent to Canon L. Just as Canon makes excellent glass that doesn't carry the L, so does Nikon make great glass that is not ED.

You'll find an incredibly similar lineup of glass between the two. The ONE lens that Canon has that I truly wish Nikon did is the 24-105. And Nikon has the 200-400 zoom that Canon doesn't (or may have just introduced, I am not sure.).

The camera's are more alike than different, and there are certainly a few things on the Canon's I'd love to have on my Nikons, like that scroll wheel... that's just brilliant. Nikon's fit my hand better, and I prefer Nikon's view on backward compatibility which is why I shifted there in the first place.

Best of luck if you decide to change over.

Thanks, She and I have very similar kits. She has a few wides that I don't have though I am interested in acquiring one or two.

She and I have been tossing a change over back and forth. I just don't see it being a progressive move at this point. There would be a lot of selling and money going backwards to switch I feel. Especially to get the good glass and all.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    The ONE lens that Canon has that I truly wish Nikon did is the 24-105.

Have you tried (and just not liked) the Nikon 24-120 f/4? That seems like a pretty reasonable "walkaround" lens for full frame (not wide enough for me on my DX bodies).
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2014
    Nikon lenses
    I have been a Nikon user for many years. Nikon lens quality control until the early l980's was awesome, but sometime in the late l980's I noticed a substantial variation in supposedly identical lens models. I then began to be selective in the store, trying several lenses by mounting the camea on a tripod, photographing (film) the same printed target in the store, and buying what appeared to be the sharpest focussing lens. I visited Japan in l991 and was informed that Nikon had widened their acceptance parameters of lenses in order to have more lenses to sell. I was never able to get corporate confirmaton, but one of the major NYC dealers subsequently said I was correct. I have zero Canon information, and do not know if Nikon has returned to their orginal tight standards. I am still a Nikon shooter.
    Stan