Options

tripod vs lens?

ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited November 10, 2005 in Accessories
Hi, I really need some help here. I am shooting a big wedding in two weeks and I can only shoot from a balcony that is way far away from the alter and no flash. It is a little dark but it will be in the afternoon. I have several good lenses but only one that it fast my 50 1.8. Ok question I went to purchase a lens today 100mm 2.0. The sales guy says he shoots weddings and uses the same lens I have 28-105 3.5 and he just sets it up on a tripod and he gets great results. My only issue with this is once the shutter speed is slowed down (ISO increased)won't movement from the bride and groom show. I don't have a tripod because I don't like them but know I need to use them. HELP what do I purchase?

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    You will get different opinions on this, and without a doubt a tripod is a neccessary evil. I hate using mine almost as much as I hate carrying it and not useing it.

Despite that, I would buy the lens. If I were shooting from the balcony I would use a jacket or something soft to put on the rail and brace my camera against the rail. The faster lens will help you with sharper focus, and the brace will allow you to shoot at speed lower than you could handholding.

But thats just me. Others might disagree.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    You will get different opinions on this, and without a doubt a tripod is a neccessary evil. I hate using mine almost as much as I hate carrying it and not useing it.

Despite that, I would buy the lens. If I were shooting from the balcony I would use a jacket or something soft to put on the rail and brace my camera against the rail. The faster lens will help you with sharper focus, and the brace will allow you to shoot at speed lower than you could handholding.

But thats just me. Others might disagree.
    That's what I thought and I was looking at the 85 mm lens as well and after seeing pics from it and I am more inclined to buy a lens. I only have $400 to spare so it's an either or type situation.

Thanks for the feedback...anyone else?
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I would buy the lens and borrow a tripod :D
    Then buy a tripod later when you save up the money

But how about the 135 f/2L good lens

Fred
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Buy a tripod, even with the faster lens, you will appreciate the tripod. I think you should be fine with Bride/Groom movement at 1/30 or 1/15 no problem. Probably even with 1/5. Get the lens if you want and just start with a cheap tripod if necessary. They open up a whole new would of time exposures!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    For what it's worth
    I hate tripods too.
    I have a new found love for my Mono pod tho.
    With nature photography it doubles as a walking stick.:D

MAYBE a Mono wouldn't work out too bad for you?
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    Thanks so much for your feedback guys. I did look at monopods while I was there but the ones they had were a little pricey. Not knowing whether or not I would like it didn't want to risk the price although I bet I would like it.

I have checked out the 135 2.8 and must say I have read very good reviews and it is in my price range. It is actually a little under which would allow me to get a cheap tripod. I am pretty sure that's what I will do. The sales guy was really pushing me to buy a $200 tripod. So I figured I would post here and see if you could help and ya did THANKS :D
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Beware of the cheap tripods!!
    You will never use it because it is a pain to use and if you do use it it will break. I would suggest renting a tripod for this event and save up for a good sturdy tripod. It sounds like you have gotten along fine without a tripod so far so waiting a little longer till you can get a good one is the logical route, at least in my opinion. Good luck either way.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    Shannon, what day is the wedding and exactly where is it at. I have a heavy duty Bogen-Manfrotto 3051 Tripod and a 70-200 2.8L which may help you out. I live in Jacksonville, Alabama, but can always use an excuse to go shopping in the Atlanta area. If the loan of the equipment for the day will help you just PM me and we will see what we can work out.

Also if you use any IS lenses make sure you turn off the IS when using a tripod or you will get gyro blur as the gyroscopes try to sense for movement which isn't there. Plus it's not good for the gyros to have them on when using a tripod.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Shannon, what day is the wedding and exactly where is it at. I have a heavy duty Bogen-Manfrotto 3051 Tripod and a 70-200 2.8L which may help you out. I live in Jacksonville, Alabama, but can always use an excuse to go shopping in the Atlanta area. If the loan of the equipment for the day will help you just PM me and we will see what we can work out.

Also if you use any IS lenses make sure you turn off the IS when using a tripod or you will get gyro blur as the gyroscopes try to sense for movement which isn't there. Plus it's not good for the gyros to have them on when using a tripod.
    Wow! what a kind offer clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2005
    Hey, gubbs, thanks. I've been there myself in earlier years before I started making money at this business and know the frustration. In this case we live close enough that I'm able to help out if the help is wanted. Besides isn't that what dgrin is all about - photographers helping photographers?

This way Shannon can try before buying. ...besides a cheap tripod has more shakes than a go-go dancer and I would really hate to see anyone's gig get blown because of the lack of equipment or the use of bad equipment.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Beware of the cheap tripods!!
    You will never use it because it is a pain to use and if you do use it it will break. I would suggest renting a tripod for this event and save up for a good sturdy tripod. It sounds like you have gotten along fine without a tripod so far so waiting a little longer till you can get a good one is the logical route, at least in my opinion. Good luck either way.
    I have been using a "cheap" or relatively cheap tripod for years. I think I paid $30 for it. Granted it does not have a ball head, but it does have a quick release and I have been very pleased with the results. Just make sure you use a release or set the self timer for a second or two, that way you pushing the release does not shake the camera.

I am sure a great tripod is great, but any tripod is better than no tripod.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    ...besides a cheap tripod has more shakes than a go-go dancer and I would really hate to see anyone's gig get blown because of the lack of equipment or the use of bad equipment.
    A-men!

Shannon:

I bought myself a Manfrotto 055PRO and snagged a cheap 484RC2 ballhead, and the tripod isn't *that* heavy, but stands taller than I am, and is solid as a rock. The Manfrotto 190PRO is a slightly shorter version of the same tripod, and a bit cheaper.

My suggestion, if you know anyone that works at a camera store (even the big small-store chains, as long as they sell lowepro bags), get them to buy the tripod for you, because manfrotto's dealer treats their sales people very nicely when it comes to employee purchases... mwink.gif

But I didn't tell you that :uhoh...

(I'm a photographer on a budget too... but it doesn't seem to stop me from buying new toys at an alarming rate...)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    The first time I used a tri-pod, I got shake: a 100.00 M bogen tripod. Maybe it was the cheap tri-pod and maybe it was the IS on? It was a year ago, and I did not use a tri-pod again til the other night, when I used my husband's "super heavy for large camera" tripods that most people can't even pick up to say the least of carry. I used a lens w/o IS, I got no blur and I was a happy camper. I don't know what I will do about the future.

But my advice to you is NOT to use a tri-pod, unknown, for the first time at an important event.

I would go with Dixie's offer, he might even help you or have some tips. That way you could get the lens, have the opportunity to use a good tri-pod, or not.
    You would minimize your chances for disaster that way.

That is my opinion. If there is no time for that............I don't know what I would do. I will say that I tell people that I can hand hold anything. In point of fact, there is a point of diminishing returns for me (could be I am getting older, most of us are). And at some point it is all blur upon close inspection: hence my use of a tri-pod about a week ago. The occasion was just too important for shake, blur, and I had tried hand holding the night before. I had to be honest with myself. It was not happening as a good thing. (But it was my own personal project, it was also something that could be, and was, reshot.)

Re subject movement blur. A bit of that can be a good thing. Too much is not, except as an art form I am fond of. Others are not, and I would hate to try to explain it on a job. But the hand motion, etc, those things are not necessarily bad. I do not know the shutter speed at which one becomes the other.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2005
    WOW just sent you a PM. THANKS for the offer!:D
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2005
    Shannon, I answered your PM and hopefully we will get a chance to talk on Saturday to work out the details. As I stated in the PM, this will give me a chance to practice on some street scenes around Atlanta while you are hard at work.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    I may be late with an opinion, but here it is anyway. If you are using anything but a full frame or film body I would not get the 100mm f2. I'd never discourgage someone from investing in a prime, but I find the 85 1.8 on my 20D a TOUCH long for wedding portraits, and I would not want to go longer. For the price I'd get a long zoom. But that is really up to you. The other part, about the tripod and dragging the shutter is something I can give you advice on. The 50mm f1.8 is an excellent focal length for not super long churches. I learned to shoot weddings with a Hasselblad and the standard formula for most churches is 1/4 of a sec @f4 400 speed, or the formula of 44, this works for 98 percent of churches. Of course you always meter to make sure, but mostly you will be close to this exposure at 400 iso. The key to minimizing B/G movement is to time them. Wait for moments of stillness, when they face each other, give them a sec to settle, then shoot. Occasionally I've run into a officiant with ants in his pants, that sways back and forth or shuffles from foot to foot. These people need to learn to stand still. It has made a cool effect though when you have a dancin officiant and a still bride and groom. Here is the best part (if you have a digital body) at f2 and ISO 800 or 1600 you could get your time down to 1/15th or 1/30th of a second, which is more than suitable for catching a ceremony without movement. They are getting married after all not high jumping. One other tip, lifting the mirror below 1/30th of a sec and using a cable release helps reduce the jitters, even if you are on a cheaper tripod. Good luck and don't be afraid to shoot slow on a tripod the key is to be patient.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    Blurmore wrote:
    They are getting married after all not high jumping.
    You weren't at my wedding obviously.

Seriously though, those are great tips!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/