Options

Journal Style - Story Type Gallery

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
edited April 25, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
The new journal style gallery is absolutely useless when telling a story along with each photo. Some of
the captions contain lots of text which is impossible to read below each of the very large photos without
scrolling down.

We really need a style like the legacy journal (old) style to present our story with the caption besides
the photo.

I've started modifying a gallery this gallery on my unveiled site. Although it does not have enormous
captions I will have some galleries in the future that will have a lot of commentary text.
http://www.photosbyat.com/Archery/Bobs-Bear-Trip
Legacy
http://www.photosbyat.com/Archery/Bobs-Bear-Trip/1764417_Bc77Zt
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    I agree. I used the "old journal" style for some story-type albums in Legacy. I miss it.

That said, I found something I rather like: Use Portrait or Landscape Collage settings with the caption underneath (instead of on the bottom bar). If you have big enough captions, it makes a rather cool newsletter-looking page. Here's one of mine, sort of a year-in-review smart album with one picture from every day: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/PhotoBlog/2012.

I'd like the option to make the images a little larger, but in general, this works very well for me, and is a much more modern look (to my eye). My only complaint is that I lost the option to "see photo in original gallery", which only works in Journal and Smug Mug styles.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    I agree. I used the "old journal" style for some story-type albums in Legacy. I miss it.

That said, I found something I rather like: Use Portrait or Landscape Collage settings with the caption underneath (instead of on the bottom bar). If you have big enough captions, it makes a rather cool newsletter-looking page. Here's one of mine, sort of a year-in-review smart album with one picture from every day: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/PhotoBlog/2012.

I'd like the option to make the images a little larger, but in general, this works very well for me, and is a much more modern look (to my eye). My only complaint is that I lost the option to "see photo in original gallery", which only works in Journal and Smug Mug styles.

Nice, creative use of the collage gallery style! Though I agree with the original request, which is to have a "journal" style closer to the old journal style...where the captions get equal time.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Submitted Allen

Thanks Michael
  • Options
    everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    I make a lot of use of the caption capabilities too, and appreciate any improvements to them. The way Smugmug reads metadata and presents it on my site was one of the huge factors in my choice to use Smugmug 5 years ago. I caption my photos in Lightroom as part of my workflow and I love that the captions upload along with their pictures and appear automatically.

Since the unveiling I have been using both the Journal and the collage gallery styles and have been okay with both, but agree they could be more storytelling-friendly.
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2014
    bump
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2014
    bump