Inline Editing, and lightbox / map / info changes + improvements

Comments

• jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    dnwvictor wrote: »
    lightbox on photography website should be used to concentrate viewer attention to image itself!!!
    With option to show info, if viewer would like to see it.

Hover (rollover) interaction… i give up…
    i’m under impression that whoever is responsible for sm design never seen any photography website or maybe never goes on line. How about learning good practise from competition like 500px or flicker?
    Or why to stop there, lets add keywords, comments, bio,… to be visible on rollover.
    Why visitors would look at our images, lets make them read!!!

+1
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    Map feature
    I just found a big problem. When clicking "Photo Info" under a photo the map shows "NO MAP DATA".
    This is not completely true as other photos in the gallery have "MAP DATA". So unless you happen to
    click a photo with "MAP DATA" none will be found.

We're back to having to find a single photo in a gallery containing many photos to view "MAP DATA".
    Expanding a map showing "NO MAP DATA" does show other photo icons but who would ever do that.

To add to that I have map features turned off in some galleries and the "NO MAP DATA" still shows in "Photo Info".
    The toggle under gallery settings should remove the map from "Photo Info".

Just noticed that if no photos in gallery have map data the expand arrows do not show. Do we need to add a
    statement to every gallery how that works? Kinda ridiculous.

One solution for galleries with a photo with map data is when clicking "Photo Info" the popup opens expanded.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    While you're working on this it would be a good time to make the Info icon able to toggle the info window open AND closed.
    If you are just checking to see what f stop was used you would be able to open the info window, look at the info, and close the info window without moving your mouse.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • dnwvictordnwvictor Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    Thank you
    Lamah wrote: »
    dnwvictor, consider using my modified lightbox instead, it never covers up your photos. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions/Customised-lightbox/

And here are the installation instructions:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions

Hi Lamah!
    Thank you very much for respond.
    I can say that ( I’m pretty sure I’m not alone), just thanks to invaluable help of people like you that whole mess called “new and improved” is alive.
    I hope you realize how much we all appreciate it
  • DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    moiraine wrote: »
    Are you still seeing this issue? We have checked and on the same version of firefox on mavericks don't see the problem. http://screencast.com/t/HctmFeCwuZ

Thanks for replying back, Moiraine. Can confirm that the weird button is gone from Firefox as of 03/17. Must've been a poltergeist.
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    dnwvictor, consider using my modified lightbox instead, it never covers up your photos. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions/Customised-lightbox/

And here are the installation instructions:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions

Oh my...that version of the Lightbox that "reserves extra space" is exactly what I want! Thank you so much for your work...how hard would it be for Smugmug to just make this sort of thing configurable?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 19, 2014
    When viewing the photo Information, do we really need the large "NO MAP DATA" and map inside the info box if there are no coordinates data for a photo? Not only is that a precious waste of space and makes one unnecessarily scroll down the box, but it is also ugly. If there is no location data, why not just leave that out of there?

i-5MStmvk-M.jpg

Should be a simple fix to default the info box to not display that feature if no data exists, and display it if it does have that data.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your work...how hard would it be for Smugmug to just make this sort of thing configurable?

Quite difficult, insofar as every "on/off" customisation setting they make available doubles the number of possible scenarios that need to be tested. That creates a maintenance burden which is never entered into lightly.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    When viewing the photo Information, do we really need the large "NO MAP DATA" and map inside the info box if there are no coordinates data for a photo? Not only is that a precious waste of space and makes one unnecessarily scroll down the box, but it is also ugly. If there is no location data, why not just leave that out of there?

As a design decision, this is pretty baffling to me. Can't work out what their rationale is. Add this CSS to hide maps that have no map data:
    .sm-user-ui .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-map-container,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-nomapdata-overlay {
    	display:none;
    }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-container {
    	top:auto;
    }

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 19, 2014
    As a design decision, this is pretty baffling to me. Can't work out what their rationale is. Add this CSS to hide maps that have no map data:
    .sm-user-ui .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-nomapdata-overlay {
    }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-container {
    }

Thanks Lamah!

--- Denise
  • BloozeBlooze Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    I have to say that I absolutely hate the captions and keywords showing up in the lightbox when I click on the larger view. They take forever to disappear and if you've moved the mouse at all they just stay up in the lower left covering the bottom of the photo. I've put the ccs in for removing the keywords visibility, but to be able to just hover over the photo to bring up the caption instead of it automatically being there would be nice.

I figure if they've clicked to see a larger image, they don't want to see all the clutter at the bottom.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://rollinghillsimagery.smugmug.com/Film/Film/i-pW4qW2p/A
    edited March 19, 2014
    Blooze wrote: »
    I figure if they've clicked to see a larger image, they don't want to see all the clutter at the bottom.

Exactly!!!

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited March 19, 2014
    I have to say that I absolutely hate the captions and keywords showing up in the lightbox when I click on the larger view. They take forever to disappear and if you've moved the mouse at all they just stay up in the lower left covering the bottom of the photo. I've put the ccs in for removing the keywords visibility, but to be able to just hover over the photo to bring up the caption instead of it automatically being there would be nice.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://rollinghillsimagery.smugmug.com/Film/Film/i-pW4qW2p/A
    I've added CSS to only show the top line of the caption at the very bottom.
    example here
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-A-G
    edited March 19, 2014
    Thanks, Lamah!

}
    }

I haven't unveiled yet, but this should work either way, is that right?
    My Smugmug
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    Is it not working for you? In certain circumstances (I think it's if you haven't customised the theme), the .sm-user-ui doesn't match and so the code never works. In that case, use this instead:
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-map-container,
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-nomapdata-overlay {
    	display:none !important;
    }
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-container {
    	top:auto !important;
    }

edited March 20, 2014
    Is it not working for you? In certain circumstances (I think it's if you haven't customised the theme), the .sm-user-ui doesn't match and so the code never works. In that case, use this instead:

:D I haven't tried yet. I'll report back later. There's a lot of criticism in another thread about their implementation of the map in the Info block; I expect an official change soon.
    My Smugmug
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-map-container,
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-nomapdata-overlay {
        display:none !important;
    }
    .sm-panel-imageinfo.sm-imageinfo-nomapdata .sm-imageinfo-container {
        top:auto !important;
    }

Worked perfect here!!! Thanks.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2014
    I have to say that I absolutely hate the captions and keywords showing up in the lightbox when I click on the larger view.
    Agreed - it's an abomination! Why can't they see that? ne_nau.gif
  • ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2014
    Seems something that some people want and some don't. Would be ideal to have it as a customizable setting instead of being the same for everyone.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    edited March 21, 2014
    Options to check for lightbox
    1 - Full title/caption and keywords
    2 - Full title/caption no keywords
    3 - Title only
    4 - Only first line of title/caption (if no title then 1st line of caption)
    5 - No title/caption and keywords

I have No 4 applied in CSS (don't use titles)
    edited March 22, 2014
    I don't care if it shows all that stuff, I just want it to do it ONLY when people hover over the bottom edge of the photo. The point of lightbox is to see the PHOTO.

• phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    The point of lightbox is to see the PHOTO.

+1

Here is a mockup of what i would like to have:
    1) Open photo in lightbox shows the photo only with nothing else.
    2) Moving the mouse shows the navigation icons and a small 'info' icon.
    3) Hover the infoicon shows the bottom panel with title and captions.
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    ande8150 wrote: »
    Seems something that some people want and some don't. Would be ideal to have it as a customizable setting instead of being the same for everyone.

Yes, I like the captions in Lightbox, but I'm not fond of the keyword addition there since that makes the overlay so much bigger. I like Lamah's solution much better. But letting users choose which pieces to show would be a good start.
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    I don't care if it shows all that stuff, I just want it to do it ONLY when people hover over the bottom edge of the photo. The point of lightbox is to see the PHOTO.

I agree, the way it is now it takes work to get a clear view!
    Also, it should disappear quicker.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • samuel70samuel70 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2014
    We all put a lot of effort to frame our picture right, so why ruining them by obstructing part of it ?

The purpose of the lightbox was to show the picture in its full glory.
    To quote Blooze "I figure if they've clicked to see a larger image, they don't want to see all the clutter at the bottom."

I understand some might enjoy this new feature, but at least make it as an option.
  • echesakechesak Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2014
    Don't like the new light box...
    Probably late to the game, but I'm not a fan of the new light box. I'd like to display some information for those that wish to view it. But now it covers a reasonable portion of the photo. It would be nice to be able to restrict this to a little info box, or something similar (off the frame of the photo). It now takes more work to get a clear view of an image. You either have to wait for 3 or 4 seconds or click to full screen view. The only options I got from the heros was to reduce the size of my images (so the light box didn't cover it, or remove the lightbox altogether. Neither of these are a very good option.

With all due respect, I think you guys are going in the wrong direction. I used to love my Smugmug site, but now it just frustrates me. Each time you make a change, I like it less and less. IMO, if you make changes, you should have options for those that don't wish to implement them or ways to make adjustments. I spend a lot of time to get the site the way I want it, and you guys come in and change it all up, which requires even more work to fix it.

In case it wasn't clear, I don't light the new lightbox.

my 2-cents worth...

Eric

Edit: I forgot to mention that now the new images are titled differently. So now to make all the images look the same, the titles have to be edited on every single image. In my case that's hundreds. For others, it's probably thousands. Did I mention I don't like the new light box...
    edited April 8, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    :D I haven't tried yet. I'll report back later. There's a lot of criticism in another thread about their implementation of the map in the Info block; I expect an official change soon.
    Which thread is that, David? I hope you're right, and that we don't have to keep on relying on good folks like Lamah to provide workarounds that will overcome these design bugger-ups!

Unfortunately there's also been a blizzard of adverse comment about the changes to the Lightbox, but no sign SmugMug has taken on board even a scintilla, let alone that they will reverse these blunders.

What's going on at SmugMug? This used to be the epitome of a responsive, customer-focused provider but, I'm sorry to say, ever since New SmugMug they've delivered a succession of half-baked fixes and 'features', and retreated into a bunker mentality. Sad.
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    Apologies for the delay everyone. There are changes in the works that address the lightbox issues. I realize there are other issues that were brought in this thread as well, and I assure you we are taking a close look at the problems and thinking through eventualities to try to come up with better solutions.

Thanks for your patience while we make sure that we double check ourselves and make sure we aren't introducing more negative side-effects with the fixes!
    Moiraine
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    Apologies for the delay everyone. There are changes in the works that address the lightbox issues. I realize there are other issues that were brought in this thread as well, and I assure you we are taking a close look at the problems and thinking through eventualities to try to come up with better solutions.

Thanks for your patience while we make sure that we double check ourselves and make sure we aren't introducing more negative side-effects with the fixes!
    Moiraine

Is there an estimated implementation date for these? i.e., sooner, rather than later?

And ditto for whether there is any kind of road map for the changes and enhancements we might see coming through. There are a number of things I would love to see happen, many of which are repeated in these forums, in the bug forums and in the blog/request site, but there is no response or indication of what is being tackled and when we might expect to see anything. It would be great to see a plan of what's coming so that we can know what might or might not be on the way...
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
    edited April 10, 2014
    There's been "delay"? What delay? Unless I missed something, until now we haven't been told we are waiting for anything!

And there are "issues"? Really? After stoically refusing to acknowledge there have been any problems and batting back or ignoring all criticism, you are now saying SmugMug screwed up? What do you consider the "issues" to be? What can we expect the "better solutions" to address and to not address?
    Now that's a radical idea! When did this become SmugMug policy?

The handling of this debacle has been appalling, both technically and in terms of communication, from start to finish. For the sake of all users, I hope SmugMug has taken on board the learnings from this unhappy episode, and that we see no repeat!
    edited May 1, 2014
    Any update on this?