Options

Help with Video Editing and SmugMug posting

zman1000zman1000 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 4, 2014 in Video
I just signed up for SmugMug and have had no problems with adding and editing photos. Videos is where i need help.

Most of my videos come from a Canon Power Shot SX10Is. (I'm really at a basic level here.) Video is recorded in .mov file and to date i've been using Picasa for organizing my video and jpg. I can easily upload to Youtube. Currently i can't upload and play these files in SM because they are "vertical files" according to SM and they are working on solving this problem.

Question #1 Does anyone know if i can convert these files to a different format to get them to work on SM?

Question #2 relates to editing clips. In the past i used Microsoft Movie Maker 2.6 because it has a simple storyboard and timeline capability and it's free. (The newer version doesn't have a storyboard ability.) Movie Maker 2.6 will only work with avi, mpg, m1v, mp2, mpeg, mpe, mpv2, wm, wmv and asf files. Can anyone recommend an "junior" free or low cost editing software for this amateur that will help provide a storyboard for editing and/or reformat a "vertical file" Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited May 2, 2014
    zman1000 wrote: »
    ... Currently i can't upload and play these files in SM because they are "vertical files" according to SM and they are working on solving this problem.

Question #1 Does anyone know if i can convert these files to a different format to get them to work on SM? ...

It sounds like SmugMug support heroes are already working on your problem, so you may be able to simply upload the files in the future (if the SM heroes figure out the issues involved and formulate a solution.)

For the near term, if you can find a video editing solution that properly handles the files and outputs the video into a proper format that's understood by SmugMug, that too should handle your problem.
    zman1000 wrote: »
    ... Question #2 relates to editing clips. In the past i used Microsoft Movie Maker 2.6 because it has a simple storyboard and timeline capability and it's free. (The newer version doesn't have a storyboard ability.) Movie Maker 2.6 will only work with avi, mpg, m1v, mp2, mpeg, mpe, mpv2, wm, wmv and asf files. Can anyone recommend an "junior" free or low cost editing software for this amateur that will help provide a storyboard for editing and/or reformat a "vertical file" Thanks.

My personal preference in a low-cost video editor is Corel VideoStudio Pro. Windows OS only, it handles most video really well, both ingest and output, and does produce output video compliant with SmugMug. About the only thing it doesn't do rather well is "scaling" video from one format size to another format size.

For scaling video, I use Xilisoft HD Video Converter, which provides similar quality to the best in the business. (Frankly, and IMO, it beats many of the better and more expensive solutions, including some "very" expensive professional software that I tried.)

For a truly "professional" video editor, you could try the free version of Lightworks, which is available for Windows OS. It requires a very modern and robust computer to work quickly on HD video, and the learning curve is steep. The output video format support is fairly limited on the free version too, but might meet your stated needs.

Be sure to read the system requirements for any video editing software before purchase, but I think that all of the above products are available for a free trial. (Disclosure: These are the actual products that I use and that I paid full-price for. I use these products for paid video production as well as personal video projects.)

Video Studio Pro

Xilisoft HD Video Converter

Lightworks for Windows
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    zman1000zman1000 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It sounds like SmugMug support heroes are already working on your problem, so you may be able to simply upload the files in the future (if the SM heroes figure out the issues involved and formulate a solution.)

For the near term, if you can find a video editing solution that properly handles the files and outputs the video into a proper format that's understood by SmugMug, that too should handle your problem.

My personal preference in a low-cost video editor is Corel VideoStudio Pro. Windows OS only, it handles most video really well, both ingest and output, and does produce output video compliant with SmugMug. About the only thing it doesn't do rather well is "scaling" video from one format size to another format size.

For scaling video, I use Xilisoft HD Video Converter, which provides similar quality to the best in the business. (Frankly, and IMO, it beats many of the better and more expensive solutions, including some "very" expensive professional software that I tried.)

For a truly "professional" video editor, you could try the free version of Lightworks, which is available for Windows OS. It requires a very modern and robust computer to work quickly on HD video, and the learning curve is steep. The output video format support is fairly limited on the free version too, but might meet your stated needs.

Be sure to read the system requirements for any video editing software before purchase, but I think that all of the above products are available for a free trial. (Disclosure: These are the actual products that I use and that I paid full-price for. I use these products for paid video production as well as personal video projects.)

Video Studio Pro

Xilisoft HD Video Converter

Lightworks for Windows

Thanks.