Options

Bulk Keywords/Caption Edits browser issue

Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited November 10, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have been going through many galleries adding keywords using the bulk changes option. Typically adding up to 6 different keywords with most galleries having anywhere from 20 -100 photos. After making all my changes I hit save and before it finishes I get the dreaded dns error. The wait time is roughly a 10 count before going to the dns error. If I hit my browser back button and save a second time the changes go through right away. Anyone else experiencing this and is there something I can do about it? Browser is IE 6.0 with SP2 and I am on yahoo dsl line. Not anything urgent, but it is slightly irritating so input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I have been going through many galleries adding keywords using the bulk changes option. Typically adding up to 6 different keywords with most galleries having anywhere from 20 -100 photos. After making all my changes I hit save and before it finishes I get the dreaded dns error. The wait time is roughly a 10 count before going to the dns error. If I hit my browser back button and save a second time the changes go through right away. Anyone else experiencing this and is there something I can do about it? Browser is IE 6.0 with SP2 and I am on yahoo dsl line. Not anything urgent, but it is slightly irritating so input is appreciated.

wave.gif Hi Moon, we'll look into it, thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    Bob! I know you lol3.gif

Just a thought - have you tried Firefox? ear.gif
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Moon, we'll look into it, thanks.
    FYI:

interesting.... I just dicovered the Bulk keyword update feature and I have spent the afternoon adding keywords today as well. I'm on a pretty fast lan at work, using IE 6, and have not seen any errors. (couple of the galleries had over 200 pics, i added about 1.2 keywords per pic... slight delay after "save" but no errors).

keywords are cool! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    It might not fit into your workflow, especially for images already uploaded, but I highly recommend adding keywords to the images BEFORE uploading them to smugmug. This way, they're embedded in the source image. smugmug is smart enough to extract the keywords on upload.

What you need to find is a program that allows you to edit the IPTC fields (smugmug can also extract the image description for the caption). There are free ones out there. Personally, I use ThumbsPlus and occassionally Photoshop to do this.
  • Options
    Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    Thanks for the Good Suggestion
    pat.kane wrote:
    It might not fit into your workflow, especially for images already uploaded, but I highly recommend adding keywords to the images BEFORE uploading them to smugmug. This way, they're embedded in the source image. smugmug is smart enough to extract the keywords on upload.

What you need to find is a program that allows you to edit the IPTC fields (smugmug can also extract the image description for the caption). There are free ones out there. Personally, I use ThumbsPlus and occassionally Photoshop to do this.
    You know, this is a great idea. I am going to look into making this a part of my workflow. I use the photo organizer in Adobe Photo Elements 3 and I tag the photos there with keywords but I don't know if that gets captured anywhere in the file. I'm going to look into it.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2005
    pat.kane wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif