Options

Gallery Sort by date taken not working

jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
edited May 6, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I like to have the images in my travel galleries appear in chronological order. In the last I have had no trouble with this. But in the last week I have created a new gallery and have it set to sort by date taken as usual, but many photos are out of order. When I click on the 'info' button on the pop-up menu, the correct date and time are shown, so that information must be available in the Exif.

p.s. I have done nothing to revise my site since the new options have become available.

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    jthomas wrote: »
    When I click on the 'info' button on the pop-up menu, the correct date and time are shown...
    Are you sure about that? There's a known issue with New SM about the pop-up EXIF data showing the date/time modified, not the date/time taken. Is the display of EXIF data in Legacy still correct?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    papipoissonpapipoisson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Same thing here: I have two pictures with only the dates "created" and "modified" in the exif metadata fields in my files (no date "taken" - I just checked that on Lightroom, where all my picts are stored: thoose are pictures scanned from a print).
    Thoose two pictures, with dates set to 10/08/2010 (date of scan) show up in my smart galerie with the rule "taken betwin 01/07/2013 and 19/08/2103"!

As other Lightroom users know, the dates fields are often interpreted in different ways for sorting picts: sometimes soft uses date "taken" (capture date), sometimes "created" or "modified".

For my case, as I don't have any "date taken" on the EXIF metadata, I don't know how SM get the pictures as taken in 2013! Perhaps that SM substitutes the missing information with the upload date?

I'll add that it seems that the best thing could be to use EXIF Tools to re populate missinf fields (I think it is the most complete soft to change metadata fields).

Actually, it would be usefull if SM team could tell us excatly what field they use for sorting the picts by date.

Jerome
  • Options
    amychamamycham Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2013
    Same issue
    My galleries do not appear to be sorting by any criteria--maybe it's by upload date/time?

I really need to sort these by date taken...
  • Options
    moebe97moebe97 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2013
    Same issue since migrating to new SmugMug
    I have had this same issue - only since migrating to the new SmugMug last week. I thought that there was something all of a sudden wrong with my camera's date/time stamping, but when I realized that I could sort by date taken in my windows explorer folder, but not on SM, I knew that wasn't the case. The only luck I've had with this is if I've taken an entire session on one camera only, I can sort by name - which will automatically put them in chronological order. Otherwise, the function is still not working and I can't seem to find a solution.

Additionally, my watermarking seems to be failing now too. I'm super pleased with most of the changes made, but if these are hiccups, they're big ones that should be fixed immediately.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 10, 2013
    moebe97 wrote: »
    I have had this same issue - only since migrating to the new SmugMug last week. I thought that there was something all of a sudden wrong with my camera's date/time stamping, but when I realized that I could sort by date taken in my windows explorer folder, but not on SM, I knew that wasn't the case. The only luck I've had with this is if I've taken an entire session on one camera only, I can sort by name - which will automatically put them in chronological order. Otherwise, the function is still not working and I can't seem to find a solution.

Additionally, my watermarking seems to be failing now too. I'm super pleased with most of the changes made, but if these are hiccups, they're big ones that should be fixed immediately.
    We'd need more information to help you.

I have my galleries sorted by date taken (in new smug); there is no problem with that sort.
    Where have you specified the sort?

What do you mean by "my watermarking seems to be failing"? What is happening, and how is it set up?

It's very difficult to help without a link to your site. Please add it to your signature so it is always available to the helpers here. Click the clipboard icon in the navbar above, then Edit Signature. Begin your link with http:// to make it clickable.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DaVinciArtDaVinciArt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Same Problem Long Time Smugmug User
    We'd need more information to help you.

I have my galleries sorted by date taken (in new smug); there is no problem with that sort.
    Where have you specified the sort?

What do you mean by "my watermarking seems to be failing"? What is happening, and how is it set up?

It's very difficult to help without a link to your site. Please add it to your signature so it is always available to the helpers here. Click the clipboard icon in the navbar above, then Edit Signature. Begin your link with http:// to make it clickable.

--- Denise

I too, am having problems with sorting by date/time. Actually the new smugmug states it sorts my date, and I have assumed it also takes into consideration of the "time" the pictures was taken, so when the photos of a series of action/sports shots are uploaded, such as when scoring a goal in a run of 4-10 photos, the photos are indeed sorted by correct date, but the time is all arbitrary when it comes down to the seconds and sometimes the minutes, to I have to manually sort many photos, that have not been sorted by time taken. This was not gthe case with the legacy uploads/sorts. So there is indeed a problem with the new smugmug, I guess having to do with sorting and taking into consideration the time down to the seconds. The sort does appear to sort when the time difference between shots is more than 60 seconds. Anything under 5 seconds or so appears to be incorectly sorted.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    Same Problem Long Time Smugmug User
    moebe97 wrote: »

I too, am having problems with sorting by date/time. Actually the new smugmug states it sorts my date, and I have assumed it also takes into consideration of the "time" the pictures was taken, so when the photos of a series of action/sports shots are uploaded, such as when scoring a goal in a run of 4-10 photos, the photos are indeed sorted by correct date, but the time is all arbitrary when it comes down to the seconds and sometimes the minutes, to I have to manually sort many photos, that have not been sorted by time taken. This was not gthe case with the legacy uploads/sorts. So there is indeed a problem with the new smugmug, I guess having to do with sorting and taking into consideration the time down to the seconds. The sort does appear to sort when the time difference between shots is more than 60 seconds. Anything under 5 seconds or so appears to be incorectly sorted.

To get around this, I usually rename my photos with numbers in the correct sequence before I upload them to smugmug, but when I am shooting with 2-3 cameras in a very busy action packed sporting event, the various cameras use defferent means of naming the files, and I cannot always sort the photos by number before uploading them to smugmug, and the sort then fails and I have to manually sort the rapid sequence photos for instance 4, 5, or more photos of a player scoring a goal in which case I have several phostos with the same date/hour/minute but may vary by only a few seconds or milliseconds, and these fail to sort nad have to be sorted manually. Any way smugmug can fix this?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    Sorting by date takes into account the date and time (down to the second). If you have multiple photos taken the same second, the system cannot distinguish which one was taken first. So if you have a shoot with many burst photos or multiple cameras taking pictures at the same time and the exact order is crucial, the best option would be for you to rename all the photos in a sequential order you'd like to have the photos displayed in.

For photos already on SmugMug, you could only consider manually arranging them or to add the sequence number to the caption so you could sort the photos by caption.

If you're seeing an issue with the sort feature, please include links to a few example photos in your gallery so we could actually take a closer look at the photos and your site.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    Thanks, Indeed, my issue concerns several bursts of pictures taken within the same second. Not a problem manually sorting, as I am not uploading many bursts. Will try and fix with name sort, and it won't be a problem.