Inline Editing, and lightbox / map / info changes + improvements

Comments

• bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The lightbox is now garbage when using the R/L arrows as too much caption is covering the photos. It needs
    to collapse the same height as the buttons on the right. Nothing worst then having to wait after every new photo.

Most viewers will keep their mouse on the arrow and will get no full collapses.

I totally agree!
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    There is a fix in progress for the height as well as some other minor usability improvements (such as not collapsing on you while you're editting if you move your mouse out of the area). Again, apologies for the wait on this one.

Moiraine
    edited May 5, 2014
    Some changes were just shipped regarding the lightbox behavior: the bar now collapsed back down to a short height which then expands upon mouseover. As mentioned previously, usability changes were made so that the bar wouldn't collapse on you while you're editing a field inline.
  • bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    moiraine wrote: »
    Some changes were just shipped regarding the lightbox behavior: the bar now collapsed back down to a short height which then expands upon mouseover. As mentioned previously, usability changes were made so that the bar wouldn't collapse on you while you're editing a field inline.

Much better, but still I see the top of the hidden line of text in Safari and Firefox. It looks a bit weird.

But please also fix the problem when leaving lightbox: that the browser doesn’t remember the last picture shown. This is much more important!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 5, 2014
    Some changes were just shipped regarding the lightbox behavior: the bar now collapsed back down to a short height which then expands upon mouseover.
    I like the fact that the height of the shaded area is shorter.

I don't like the scroll bar - there is an arrowhead that opens and closes the caption area, why would you add a scroll bar to that very short area?

Please leave the arrow head and remove the scroll bar.

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    With the caption collapsed the scroll bar does not work and also looks ridiculous being there.

Remove the scroll bar altogether.

Or if the caption only pops up so far show the scroll only if beyond this height.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited May 5, 2014
    the problem with removing the scrollbar is that not everyone has the capability to scroll (some people still click and drag), so we shouldn't force everyone's scrollbar to be hidden by default.

However, if you want to remove the scrollbar on your site, you can apply some css to hide it for your customers. Here's a quick fix from another user if you need one, that will only show the scrollbar once the user hovers:
     .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-info {
       overflow-y: hidden !important;
     }
      .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-info:hover {
       overflow-y: auto !important;
     }

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 5, 2014
    the problem with removing the scrollbar is that not everyone has the capability to scroll (some people still click and drag), so we shouldn't force everyone's scrollbar to be hidden by default.

However, if you want to remove the scrollbar on your site, you can apply some css to hide it for your customers. Here's a quick fix from another user if you need one, that will only show the scrollbar once the user hovers...
    Thanks, that helps.

I would prefer this be a settable option rather than code but the code will do for now.

--- Denise
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Better, but... It still looks/behaves dumb in my opinion.

I see the image title and the top half of the caption when it is collapsed. If people are using the arrows to move through images, the bar never goes away. It is covering the bottom of the image.

Again, the purpose of Lightbox view is to see the IMAGE. :(

The bar at the bottom should only appear if someone moves their mouse down there. And when they move it away, it should disappear completely!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 6, 2014
    I'm not understanding the purpose of the up and down arrows above the text in the light box view. They don't seem to do anything but take up space and cover up even more of the image than necessary. The purpose of light box is to view only the image. Still not liking the implementation.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the purpose of the up and down arrows above the text in the light box view. They don't seem to do anything but take up space and cover up even more of the image than necessary. The purpose of light box is to view only the image. Still not liking the implementation.

I agree!
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
    edited May 6, 2014
    Unfortunately you can see that different people in this thread have already requested different behaviors - some people just want the arrow, some people don't. We did not allocate any more space for it (it'll float over text), but I can offer a couple suggestions here for css based on the last few posts, and some posts I saw in other threads:

The bar should be shorter: on ".sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-ft-center .sm-lightbox-info", change the max-height to something smaller than 48px, but you'll have to adjust the other things yourself for look&feel

The whole bar should just be gone: on ".sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft", display:none (this will remove slideshow/purchasing/editing buttons as well, not sure I'd really advise this)

The info section should just be gone: on ".sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-ft-center", display:none (your slideshow/buttons will still show up, but you may have to tweak the background of them yourself if you want it back)

The up/down arrow should be gone: on ".sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-info-expand", display:none

Bottom bar should be completely hidden unless user mouses over it:
    .sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft {
     	opacity: 0;
    }

.sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft:hover {
     	opacity: 1;
    }

Please note that we don't guarantee any css fixes to work forever. These are just some css suggestions based on how different users desire different behavior.

Hope some of this helps,
    Moiraine
    edited May 6, 2014

However, if you want to remove the scrollbar on your site, you can apply some css to hide it for your customers. Here's a quick fix from another user if you need one, that will only show the scrollbar once the user hovers:
     .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-info {
       overflow-y: hidden !important;
     }
      .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-info:hover {
       overflow-y: auto !important;
     }                                       

I have a scroll bar on the caption/bottom bar, collapsed, and it's completely inoperable.
    Hovering, the bar expands and the scroll bar is gone.

Is this CSS to remove that scroll bar? And not browser scroll bar?

Edit: added CSS and get a flash of scroll bar expanding bottom bar.
    edited May 7, 2014

Bottom bar should be completely hidden unless user mouses over it:
    .sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft {
     	opacity: 0;
    }

.sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft:hover {
     	opacity: 1;
    }

Please note that we don't guarantee any css fixes to work forever. These are just some css suggestions based on how different users desire different behavior.

Hope some of this helps,
    Moiraine

I tried this one and I still see the bottom bar... am I missing something? ne_nau.gif

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    Does anyone know whether/how it is possible to adjust the height of the title/caption box which is displayed? I'd like to add a few pixels to the height to avoid a split line.
    edited May 7, 2014
    Jason, do you see it working here? http://moiraine.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-awesome-3-15-2013/i-PZK3cXZ/A

I see that working just fine for me.
    edited May 7, 2014
    Jason, do you see it working here? http://moiraine.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-awesome-3-15-2013/i-PZK3cXZ/A

I see that working just fine for me.

It works on yours. Maybe it is some other CSS I have going on? Hmm

edited May 7, 2014
    If you want to link to your gallery I can try to take a look at some point
    edited May 7, 2014
    If you want to link to your gallery I can try to take a look at some point

I just removed a bunch of CSS I thought might be causing the issues but it still doesn't work.

http://www.jasonscottphoto.com/Jason-Scott-Photography/Samples/Sarasota-Wedding-Photography/i-6dRXVnL/A

edited May 7, 2014
    Jason,

I'm not seeing the css content block anywhere on your site. Do you want me to try to add it for you?
    edited May 7, 2014
    Jason,

I'm not seeing the css content block anywhere on your site. Do you want me to try to add it for you?

Hmm. I added it in my theme advanced CSS thingy. Not there? Sure, go ahead!

edited May 7, 2014
    Hey Jason,

I'm not sure why it might not be working in advanced CSS, maybe the selectors weren't strong enough there and you needed the whole "!important" thing, but I went ahead and added to "all galleries" customization. Let me know if you have any more questions!
    edited May 8, 2014
    Hey Jason,

I'm not sure why it might not be working in advanced CSS, maybe the selectors weren't strong enough there and you needed the whole "!important" thing, but I went ahead and added to "all galleries" customization. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Working now, thanks! :D

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2014
    Does anyone know whether/how it is possible to adjust the height of the title/caption box which is displayed? I'd like to add a few pixels to the height to avoid a split line.
    Solved here.
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2014
    Hi!
    Just chiming in on the map problems. I simply do not understand the logic behind the idea that a map content block that I stick on a page via the Customize Site/Discovery menu can draw from many galleries but will only display 200 pins and a map that is called up through the Info icon under a single picture can display up to 5000 pins. For me the map features as they are now are unusable.

I think someone suggested this earlier in the thread, but I'll reiterate. For me, a sensible solution would be a map icon or (re-sizable) block that I could place on the master gallery page (in the gallery block?) that would always call up ALL OF THE map info from the current gallery (or up to 5000 pins). Having to choose the gallery to be mapped means that I would have to make every gallery with GPS info custom which makes the process extermely unwieldy.

And just a question - is it just me or is it true that the aerial view in all maps outside of the US (or at least here in Europe) has a terrible zoom level? (Original, unzoomed from satellite) Boy do I ever long for Google Maps!

It would be great to hear if SM is working on a solution to this problem.

Cheers to all,
    Sara
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2014
    For me, a sensible solution would be a map icon or (re-sizable) block that I could place on the master gallery page (in the gallery block?) that would always call up ALL OF THE map info from the current gallery

I would extend this so that a map block placed on a folder page would show a significant number of pins from all the sub-folders and galleries within that one.

And I'd love it if the gallery page would display the Map This button in the gallery block as it used to in the old SM, when there were ANY images in that gallery with map information. That way it's obvious that a gallery has mapped images in it and it's easy to see all the map pins for that gallery on request. Right now, you have to find the first image that HAS map info on it and in a gallery with many, that could be quite tedious. It makes no sense to find map information about the whole gallery under one mapped image in the gallery, as you say. People who are not regular visitors would never know to even LOOK for a map there!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
    edited May 17, 2014
    kimbomac wrote: »
    ...you have to find the first image that HAS map info on it and in a gallery with many, that could be quite tedious....
    Even if "no map data" message shows, if gallery has any mapped photos, the double arrow upper right to
    expand map shows. If no double arrow, no mapped photos in gallery.

Maybe one in a thousand visitors might find this.
    edited June 3, 2014
    I've completely lost the ability to return the thumbnail to original ratio for some photos in a Smugmug style gallery.
    All new photos are showing square as the default setting I set.
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I've completely lost the ability to return the thumbnail to original ratio for some photos in a Smugmug style gallery.
    All new photos are showing square as the default setting I set.

I had the same issue... i tried to set SQUARE THUMBS to ON and back OFF but the thumbs stayed square. I sent a mail to the helpdesk and they did a reset for me. That fixed it for me.

Markus
    edited June 8, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I had the same issue... i tried to set SQUARE THUMBS to ON and back OFF but the thumbs stayed square. I sent a mail to the helpdesk and they did a reset for me. That fixed it for me.

Markus
    I used the new Chrome extension to return some of the photos in a gallery back to original ratio.