Options

Sooo quiet

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 15, 2014 in Cameras
Man. Seems like there is nothing exciting in the pipe from either Canon or Nikon these days. canonrumors.com and nikonrumors.com are almost devoid of real content. Here's a list of some things I would have thought might be imminent...

Canon 7D2 - APS-C, 70D sensor, 5D3 AF, 10fps.

Canon full frame mirrorless system

Canon S1X - pocketable version of the G1X.

Canon high MP DSLR, 36mp +.

Nikon D300s replacement. (thanks for the reminder Icebear)

A real baby Nikon D4 - a true successor to the D700, not the weird amalgam of the D610 with the D4 sensor in a retro body.

Nikon full frame mirrorless system

Nikon point-n-shoot with 1" sensor and fast zoom.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2014
    Unless you give any credence to the rumored Nikon D9300. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2014
    Oh yeah. Add that to my list of things I would have thought might be imminent. D300s replacement is long overdue. Although that rumor is pretty lacking in detail right now.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    Yes it has been quiet. Lytro has come out with a new camera ILLUM that could shake things up in the future. I don't see it as a professional DSLR, but it could be. I wonder if the likes of Nikon, Canon and Sony are taking note?
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2014
    Lytro... I dunno... not my definition of Photograpy.
    -Jack

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2014
    Lytro... I dunno... not my definition of Photograpy.

I agree. I wonder though how this will evolve over the x number of years. I am sure professional photographers using film had a tough time transitioning to digital. Will the capability to refocus after a photo is taken become important for event, sports or news photographers?
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2014
    I think Lytro will remain insignificant until they can build it into a smartphone. As for pros, if they are that fearful of missing the shot, they probably shouldn't be pros in the first place.
    -Jack

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2014
    I think Lytro will remain insignificant until they can build it into a smartphone. As for pros, if they are that fearful of missing the shot, they probably shouldn't be pros in the first place.

I'd like a decent resolution light field camera for surveying type work, and I think it would be very useful for forensics, and documentary uses. If I understand the tech right, it would be a lot harder to change elements in a lightfield image file than in a flat image file, so any modification of the scene elements in post processing would be very apparent unless you had a lot of resources at your disposal.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited May 2, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    I'd like a decent resolution light field camera for surveying type work, and I think it would be very useful for forensics, and documentary uses. If I understand the tech right, it would be a lot harder to change elements in a lightfield image file than in a flat image file, so any modification of the scene elements in post processing would be very apparent unless you had a lot of resources at your disposal.

I've seen a few patent applications filed for technology that would add depth information to each photosite data, providing a means for background (and sometimes foreground) manipulation and/or background removal, for example. Most of the schemes use supplementary lenses and imagers, offset to provide the additional perspective for the depth information.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2014
    The new HTC One has a lytro-ish focus feature built into it.....
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2014
    A real baby Nikon D4 - a true successor to the D700, not the weird amalgam of the D610 with the D4 sensor in a retro body.

I don't think there will be a baby D4. Nikon wants to have specific targets for the camera. Want fast AF,ISO and performance? get the D4. Want ISO performance? Get the Df. Want a budget FF, get the 610. Want a portrait camera? get the D800.

Nikon isn't going to give us a camera that will do 95% of what the big brother can do at half the price.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    I think people want what the d700 was to the d3.. I very much doubt that such a camera will be made with the direction of the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I don't think there will be a baby D4. Nikon wants to have specific targets for the camera. Want fast AF,ISO and performance? get the D4. Want ISO performance? Get the Df. Want a budget FF, get the 610. Want a portrait camera? get the D800.

Nikon isn't going to give us a camera that will do 95% of what the big brother can do at half the price.

What babowc said, the D700 was a baby D3. And the Canon 5D3 is kind of a baby 1DX. It could happen.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    What babowc said, the D700 was a baby D3. And the Canon 5D3 is kind of a baby 1DX. It could happen.

There is a demand for a D700 successor to be a baby D4. It doesn't appear from Nikon's standpoint they think it would be profitable. The current lineup shows this. There are separate markets for each camera in the FX lineup.

Nikon could very well make a a baby D4, I just don't think they will. This is also why I think we haven't seen a D300 replacement. You put the AFS of a D4 into a cropped body that has the D7100 sensor and the 6fps of the D300 and you have a camera sports shooters would get as a second body instead of another D4. Heck, if a shooter has a D3 or D3s and has been thinking about upgrading to a D4, a D400 or the D9300 as rumored with a batter grip would be a good addition at a much cheaper price.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    I stopped buying new camera/lenses after I realized that my current setup will be outdated someday in the near future...
    Gear envy is a terrible, terrible thing.

I wouldn't mind a D4S, though.. :Dne_nau.gif
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    There is a demand for a D700 successor to be a baby D4. It doesn't appear from Nikon's standpoint they think it would be profitable. The current lineup shows this. There are separate markets for each camera in the FX lineup.

Nikon could very well make a a baby D4, I just don't think they will. This is also why I think we haven't seen a D300 replacement. You put the AFS of a D4 into a cropped body that has the D7100 sensor and the 6fps of the D300 and you have a camera sports shooters would get as a second body instead of another D4. Heck, if a shooter has a D3 or D3s and has been thinking about upgrading to a D4, a D400 or the D9300 as rumored with a batter grip would be a good addition at a much cheaper price.

This was all true when the D300s came out, yet they still made it. If there is a D300s replacement with pro AF and 8-10fps, they could sell it for $1995. People also said the 5D3 would never have the 1DX AF because, horrors, that would "cannibalize sales".
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    This was all true when the D300s came out, yet they still made it. If there is a D300s replacement with pro AF and 8-10fps, they could sell it for $1995. People also said the 5D3 would never have the 1DX AF because, horrors, that would "cannibalize sales".

Not really. The D300 didn't have the ISO performance of the D3. I was all set to buy a D3 until the D700 was announced. I was a stringer for the local paper and the D700 served me well for shooting HS sports.

With the ISO performance of the D7100 near that of the D700, DX is catching up in that department as well. Sports shooters didn't go for the D3 because it was FX, but because of ISO.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    Ok, well again, it seems that by your logic the D700 shouldn't have existed either because it would have stolen sales of the D3. I guess they regard the D800 as the new D700, but I don't. I'd be pretty frustrated if I was a Nikon sports shooter right now. A D4 would be out of the question. Fortunately I'm a Canon shooter, but a 1DX would also be out of the question. 5D3 is my limit and it's serving me well.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    Ok, well again, it seems that by your logic the D700 shouldn't have existed either because it would have stolen sales of the D3. I guess they regard the D800 as the new D700, but I don't. I'd be pretty frustrated if I was a Nikon sports shooter right now. A D4 would be out of the question. Fortunately I'm a Canon shooter, but a 1DX would also be out of the question. 5D3 is my limit and it's serving me well.

I think from a sales point of view Nikon thinks the D700 cut into D3 sales. It did with me. I don't think Nikon regards the D800 as a successor to the D700. It wanted to keep the target markets separate. The D4 for sports and pj's, the D800 for landscapes/studio/portrait. Sure, this is all speculation on my part. We didn't get a D700s when the D3s came out. People speculated we were going to get a D700s for sure but I didn't think so at the time. Nikon didn't want to make another little brother at almost half the cost and 95% the perfroamnce. We haven't gotten a little brother D4 but did get a Df with a crippled AFS.

Nikon is the business to make money. The D700 may have sold a bunch of cameras, but did it make a big profit for Nikon? If it did there would be a D700s and a follow up.

Nikon could also have the D400 but it hasn't either. I just think Nikon is being careful about how their camera lineup competes with each other.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    Your points are fair. Maybe the D700 did hurt D3 sales. I'd kind of be surprised though. Personally if the 5D3 didn't exist I wouldn't have said "shucks, guess I'll get a 1DX then." I'd have stuck with my 7D.
    Nikon could also have the D400 but it hasn't either. I just think Nikon is being careful about how their camera lineup competes with each other.

Nikon and Canon could also both be waiting for each other to make the next move with the D300s and 7D replacements, if they're not in actual collusion on the matter.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 6, 2014

Nikon and Canon could also both be waiting for each other to make the next move with the D300s and 7D replacements, if they're not in actual collusion on the matter.

Makes you wonder why both companies haven't released something for top end DX.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    I'm a D700 owner and there's no question I'd go for a baby D4(s) at half the price over the full sized one. In my most recent purchase I bought a D7100 over the D610 as a 2nd body/studio camera in large part due to the AF. If I was to make the money to get a body to replace the D700 the Df is very interesting since the small size appeals to me but that AF just has such little coverage. The D800 is an option since I don't need very high FPS and it does do better than the D700 in some respects but those file sizes are huge and I don't have a need for them in any of my current work.

Hopefully in the next generation the top end gets something nicer and the 51 point is a hand me down.

Also the comments about a possible D9300, I'd sell my 7100 for that in a second. Don't get me wrong I love the camera and it surprisingly has replaced my D700 for almost everything but the controls are clunky compared to the D700's with the combination button presses/multi use buttons. So if they did that and got .5-1 stop of high ISO improvement I could justify it, and with the way sensors/processing have been advancing that isn't out of the question.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2014
    I'm a D700 owner and there's no question I'd go for a baby D4(s) at half the price over the full sized one. In my most recent purchase I bought a D7100 over the D610 as a 2nd body/studio camera in large part due to the AF. If I was to make the money to get a body to replace the D700 the Df is very interesting since the small size appeals to me but that AF just has such little coverage. The D800 is an option since I don't need very high FPS and it does do better than the D700 in some respects but those file sizes are huge and I don't have a need for them in any of my current work.

See that's exactly the awkward spot I would be in if I were a Nikon shooter. My work justifies pro AF, but not the full size pro body. Hence my 5D3. If the 7D2 comes with IQ and AF as good as the 5D3, I might switch, but I just don't see myself getting a 1-series any time in the foreseeable future.
    -Jack

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2014
    See that's exactly the awkward spot I would be in if I were a Nikon shooter. My work justifies pro AF, but not the full size pro body. Hence my 5D3. If the 7D2 comes with IQ and AF as good as the 5D3, I might switch, but I just don't see myself getting a 1-series any time in the foreseeable future.

and if this is a hobby a crop model still works fine
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2014
    Brett1000 wrote: »

For sure. Too bad there is no current premium crop Nikon! I think I'm all set with this business after this baseball season. If the 7D2 IQ and AF is there, I'm going to seriously consider liquidating my 5D3 and 300/2.8, getting a 7D2 and using my 70-200/2.8II for shooting my kids teams.
    -Jack

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2014
    For sure. Too bad there is no current premium crop Nikon! I think I'm all set with this business after this baseball season. If the 7D2 IQ and AF is there, I'm going to seriously consider liquidating my 5D3 and 300/2.8, getting a 7D2 and using my 70-200/2.8II for shooting my kids teams.

Yeah, well if you do that.... message me before you list it publicly!! :D
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Brett1000 wrote: »

Hell as a pro crop works fine in all but the most demanding of circumstances. These cameras are just getting too good....but I'm not complaining :D