Options

Frusterated with Nikon Capture NX2 images not opening the same anywhere, Any ideas?

caughtinaflashphotographycaughtinaflashphotography Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 20, 2014 in Finishing School
Please see the thread below from my support ticket with Nikon...........or lack of :rofl. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Is there something else I need to be doing that I'm not to get them to save right? See that attached to see what I'm talking about. I did screen shots to make sure I wasn't going crazy :) Thank you!

I'm sorry but how is this an acceptable answer? There is something wrong with the software that doesn't save it correctly to work with ANY other program, website, or printer. This is a Nikon problem not any other way I have tried to open the pictures. I go to photo labs and print pictures and they DO NOT look the same as they do in Capture NX2. What is the point of having software to edit pictures in if you can't get the results anywhere to actually use them? This needs to be addressed with an actual resolution verses saying that all the other programs that work aren't compatible. When a photo is converted to Jpeg it should look exactly the same on any program, printed, uploaded to a website as it does in the software you are using to edit. Please stop giving me the same answer and give me some resolution. Thank you!

Response Courtney W. via Email 05/15/2014 03:06 PM

Thank you for contacting Nikon. There could be a compatibility issue when viewing images on other web sites and software. We can not provide support for Non-Nikon products so you will have to contact the support of those programs you are using that you are having a problem with.

Warm regards,
Courtney

Customer via Web 05/14/2014 12:34 AM
I have Capture NX2 and once I have an image done and saved it looks different in different programs. I have opened the same image in Photoshop Elements, Picasa and uploaded it to my website. The images look the same on everything but the Capture NX. I do most of my edits in the NX so I want them to look like that but for some reason they always look duller and darker in other programs. Any idea why this would be? I have asked this question before and it was blamed on the other programs but that can not be the case when every program but Nikon is showing it the same. Is there something I need to be doing differently to make sure it saves correctly that it will work with other programs? It's getting to the point that as much as I like the program I'm going to have to stop using it if I can get it resolved because the edits are not looking the same when I'm saving them that I'm wasting my time. Please let me know. Please see attached at the screen shots and you can see a dramatic difference in the editing of the images. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited May 16, 2014
    Make sure to save your presentation images as an sRGB JPG file if you wish all views to be the same, especially using non-color managed software. (Most web browsers are not color managed.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2014
    I moved this to the Finishing School forum, where we discuss software and workflow issues.

ziggy
    ziggy53
  • Options
    caughtinaflashphotographycaughtinaflashphotography Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Make sure to save your presentation images as an sRGB JPG file if you wish all views to be the same, especially using non-color managed software. (Most web browsers are not color managed.)

Ziggy,

Thank you! That would make sense and could easily be the issue. Do you have any idea on how to do that in Capture NX2? If I just go to save a file it just gives me the option for jpg but not srgb jpg. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2014
    I moved this to the Finishing School forum, where we discuss software and workflow issues.

ziggy

Thank you for moving it! I wasn't sure where to post since I haven't used the forum much.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    A couple links to help explain Capture NX2 color and gamma, issues and settings:

http://www.nx101.com/colorandgamma.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread10649.htm

I don't have NX2, but it seems as though you have two issues to understand and control.
    First, your copy of NX2 is set to use a particular color work space; generally either sRGB, Adobe-RGB or Pro Photo RGB. If you are set to use either of the latter two color work spaces, I believe that you will want to set your "soft proofing" for sRGB, in order to help with on-screen visual color selections.

Secondly, it appears that you need to set an "output profile" to sRGB, so that the files are output to sRGB, regardless of the internal color work space.

To help make those changes, please refer to your NX2 User Manual. If you wish, you can also download the manual in PDF format, which makes it easier to search for the correct sections of the manual.

http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/software/CapNX2/CAPNX2_UM_EN.pdf
    ziggy53