Options

Infared...

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited November 11, 2005 in Technique
how would i shoot Infared photographs with a 10D?

i really love the effects of IF and was wondering how i could achieve it...

thanks!

-daniel-
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    the only way i know how to get infrared on a digital camera is to remove the filter that's on the censor chip...which isn't worth doin cause you can't put it back on...i just stick to film myself. sorry i couldn't be of more help.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    how would i shoot Infared photographs with a 10D?

i really love the effects of IF and was wondering how i could achieve it...

thanks!

-daniel-

Infrared is easy. Get a Hoya R-72 or similar infrared filter. Go out on a bright sunny day between 12-3pm. Blue sky, trees, leaves, all the better. Bring a tripod. Compose your shot. Put filter on. Shoot in manual mode, probably f/8 and 2 or 3 seconds, maybe longer. Experiment. Have fun!

This is the easy way, the cheap way, too. No mods to camera. Now, you'll have blurry leaves if it's windy...
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Infrared is easy. Get a Hoya R-72 or similar infrared filter. Go out on a bright sunny day between 12-3pm. Blue sky, trees, leaves, all the better. Bring a tripod. Compose your shot. Put filter on. Shoot in manual mode, probably f/8 and 2 or 3 seconds, maybe longer. Experiment. Have fun!

This is the easy way, the cheap way, too. No mods to camera. Now, you'll have blurry leaves if it's windy...
    I didn't think they made infrared filters for digital cameras that would allow infrared to get through the filter that's built onto the CCD/CMOS. Is it any good? How are the results?

Hey KC, you forgot to mention your source of info. mwink.gif (That way if it's wrong, you have someone else to blame j/k)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Thats why the exposures are so long. Not a lot of light gets through the IR cut filters inside the camera, but some does.

If you are interested in infrared using digital, start doing some personal research on the subject. It's all over the place.
    I didn't think they made infrared filters for digital cameras that would allow infrared to get through the filter that's built onto the CCD/CMOS. Is it any good? How are the results?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    As Shay said, there's LOADS of info out there (and here on Dgrin) on Infrared. You can do it with a long exposure on a non-modded camera. Results are mixed... usually you get blurry tree leaves and muddy, noisy skies.

If you don't want to spend the money on a modded DSLR, then the best choice IMO is to buy a used Sony F717 (post an advt in our Flea Mkt) and simply put a Hoya R72 and some ND filters on your camera, shoot in Nightshot mode, and you get great results. Fantastic Results in fact.

Here's a week's worth of reading no Infrared with Sony cameras. A fantastic resource.

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my newest IR modded camera, the Sony R-1 modification from maxmax.com. Should be interesting :D