Day at the Los Angeles Arboretum

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 3, 2014 in Journeys
Had nothing planned for yesterday and the weather was nice so we took a drive down to the Los Angeles Arboretum. I had never been. My wife went as a kid so it was like her first time as well. There are several gardens like this in the greater Los Angeles area. The most notable is the Huntington Library. Although it didn't match the size of the Huntington, the Arboretum did not disappoint.

The big attraction this time of year are the peafowl. BTW, I just learned the term as I always thought they were all called peacocks. Makes sense now. :dunno

They roam the grounds and even the neighborhoods that surround the Arboretum. They are mating this time of year so the males have all their beautiful feathers on display. This guy here welcomed us as we walked in. Not shy, he stood right in the walkway as you enter the gardens.

DSC_8171-X3.jpg

After spending some time admiring the fellow above, we ventured further into the park and ran into this guy. He was quite aggressive. I was shooting with my long lens so I needed some space between him and my camera but he had other ideas. Every time I moved away, he followed until he was within inches of me. He seemed fine to me until another photog decided to sneak up behind him. That was a mistake... for me. The damn bird attacked me. LOL

DSC_8163-X3.jpg

We decided to move on and then happened upon a large grassy area with several Peacock and Peafowl. Here is a shot of my wife between a couple of them, trying to grab a shot for Facebook.

DSC_8232-X3.jpg

We spent several minutes here just watching the males putting on their show for the females. I grabbed a few shots to document the spectacle.

DSC_8179-X3.jpg

DSC_8186-X3.jpg

DSC_8194-Edit-X3.jpg

DSC_8221-X3.jpg

Ever see the rear end of a peacock? I never did, till I took this shot. Actually quite pretty. Almost looks like a headdress of sorts.

DSC_8208-X3.jpg

Once we got our fill of the peafowl, we continued on into the gardens. There are several different regional garden areas which showcase gardens from all over the world. Beautiful. I tried my best to capture some of it. By this time, the clouds broke away and the sun was pretty harsh so I tried to stay in the open shade as much as possible.

DSC_8235-X3.jpg

DSC_8248-X3.jpg

Some how I think my photo is a lot more beautiful than the one she got.

DSC_8257-X3.jpg

They had beautiful orchids in a green house. Had some real fun keeping my lens from fogging up.

DSC_8267-X3.jpg

DSC_8276-X3.jpg

DSC_8277-X3.jpg

I still prefer photographing my wife

DSC_8283-Edit-X3.jpg

We ran into some locals along the way.

DSC_8300-X3.jpg

DSC_8396-X3.jpg

DSC_8403-X3.jpg

They had a large garden of day-lilies of all sorts.

DSC_8326-X3.jpg

DSC_8340-X3.jpg

DSC_8353-X3.jpg

On our way out, we stopped at a meadow planted with California wild flowers. I've tried several years now to photograph the wild flowers but with the little rain we've gotten, they've eluded me. My wife thought it was quite amusing that we could have just come to the Arboretum to shoot them.

DSC_8313-X3.jpg

As were were leaving, we ran across these ladies. I guess it's not just peacocks that sport colorful plumage this time of year.

DSC_8415-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2014
    I love them! All! I SO want to visit this place. mwink.gif

Your pea-fowl shots are beautiful. #1, #7 (wow), & #8 are my faves. I never realized the rear of the bird was also interesting.

Orchids are beautiful. #13 for me. Also, lovely shot of your wife. I love the light & the setting in that one.

Cute bunny & baby ducks. Awwwwww factor, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Sherry
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 27, 2014
    Looks like you two had a wonderful time. #7 has got to be one of the best-ever "pea," um, "fowel" shots I've ever seen. This all reminds me I need to visit the local Morton Arboretum and Chicago Botanical Gardens before the season is too far gone.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    slpollett wrote: »
    I love them! All! I SO want to visit this place. mwink.gif

Your pea-fowl shots are beautiful. #1, #7 (wow), & #8 are my faves. I never realized the rear of the bird was also interesting.

Orchids are beautiful. #13 for me. Also, lovely shot of your wife. I love the light & the setting in that one.

Cute bunny & baby ducks. Awwwwww factor, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Sherry

Thanks for commenting Sherry.

David_S85 wrote: »
    Looks like you two had a wonderful time. #7 has got to be one of the best-ever "pea," um, "fowel" shots I've ever seen. This all reminds me I need to visit the local Morton Arboretum and Chicago Botanical Gardens before the season is too far gone.

Thanks David. I actually had a good time. It was a good exercise in focusing on the little stuff... smaller compositions. I tend to lose sight of those things when I'm out shooting.

My Smug Site
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 27, 2014
    You've got some wonderful shots here.

I've never seen a peafowl from behind (with tail raised), very interesting. Loved the shot of the ducklings and laughed to see the ladies in purple and red.

Thanks for sharing!

--- Denise
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    You've got some wonderful shots here.

I've never seen a peafowl from behind (with tail raised), very interesting. Loved the shot of the ducklings and laughed to see the ladies in purple and red.

Thanks for sharing!

--- Denise

Thank you Denise.

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    #7 holy smokes..that is GREAT shot. I like #19 a lot as well
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 28, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    #7 holy smokes..that is GREAT shot. I like #19 a lot as well

Thanks Daniel. #7 is my fav of the day.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    You've abandoned hot chicks for beautiful birds? rolleyes1.gif

Also, did they 'sing" for you - they sound like strangled cats or babies that are in some kind of dire distress. Once heard, never forgotten!

Gorgeous shots. Now get your butt back to People. You are missed..................
    edited May 28, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    You've abandoned hot chicks for beautiful birds? rolleyes1.gif

Also, did they 'sing" for you - they sound like strangled cats or babies that are in some kind of dire distress. Once heard, never forgotten!

Gorgeous shots. Now get your butt back to People. You are missed..................

Laughing.gif Diva. Still shooting people but I've also been doing a lot of shooting for fun.. for myself. I have a couple of people gigs coming up and I will be sure to post them. I've been doing boring Corp Headshots lately that haven't really inspired me to post. Maybe I will.

And yes... the peafowl were moaning all day long. Such a beautiful bird with such a hideous song. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    Believe it or not, I use imitating a peacock call as a singing exercise! Seriously (it's a great way of helping students figure out resonance!)

I should add: also smitten by #7. Please tell me that's going into stock somewhere so it can make you some $!
    edited May 29, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I use imitating a peacock call as a singing exercise! Seriously (it's a great way of helping students figure out resonance!)

I should add: also smitten by #7. Please tell me that's going into stock somewhere so it can make you some $!

Diva, I submitted #7 to Getty Images so hopefully others will like it as much as you do. clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    I love that place, haven't been either since I was a kid, but I used to go a couple of times a year. If you go again, there's also an old train station tucked away in the far corner that's worth a visit.

Awesome photos.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • valdanovaldano Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    Wow! Amazing. Especially the ones of the peacock. Really stunning stuff here. I'd really wanna visit this place someday.
    edited June 3, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    I love that place, haven't been either since I was a kid, but I used to go a couple of times a year. If you go again, there's also an old train station tucked away in the far corner that's worth a visit.

Awesome photos.

Glad I could take you back there through my photos. It is a nice garden and we plan to return. We go to the Huntington and Descanso gardens every now and again but never this one so it's nice to have discovered it.

Oh and we did check out the train station. The clouds gave way by then so it was quite harsh out and the inside was really crowded so I didn't get any pics. Next time.
    valdano wrote: »
    Wow! Amazing. Especially the ones of the peacock. Really stunning stuff here. I'd really wanna visit this place someday.

Thanks Valdano. Oh... and welcome to Dgrin. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    After seeing this post, I happen to see an CNN article with your photo of the peacock, picture 7. But after closer review of the photo (and the CNN caption), it appears not. Pretty close though.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/travel/wildlife-photography-irpt/index.html?hpt=tr_t2 (coincidentally photo 7 of the article).
    edited June 3, 2014
    troopers wrote: »
    After seeing this post, I happen to see an CNN article with your photo of the peacock, picture 7. But after closer review of the photo (and the CNN caption), it appears not. Pretty close though.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/travel/wildlife-photography-irpt/index.html?hpt=tr_t2 (coincidentally photo 7 of the article).

It is very close. Maybe do a double-take. Laughing.gif

My Smug Site