Options

Smugmug vs. Bayphoto print costs

delrussodelrusso Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
edited May 28, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hello all. First post! :) I did some quick searching and didn't find a thread on this topic. If there is one, I don't mind just being redirected there.

My question is: Why is our print cost so much higher than that actual print lab cost? For example, the cost for a 4x6 print (Bayphoto) via Smugmug's pricelist is *over* 30% more than if that same print is ordered directly from Bayphoto.

I got caught off guard when I told my customer that they would get cost pricing for prints. My customer followed up with me, somewhat upset, when they realized that they were paying almost 30% over the print lab's internet price. (Note: They were ordering close to 1000 4x6 prints, so it adds up.)

Is this something Smugmug is going to address? Perhaps there was a recent price drop on the print lab side and Smugmug didn't catch up? What gives? We already pay 15% of our profits back to Smugmug, but we're also being told the cost is one thing when it really is much lower. The way the cost is presented to us in our pricelist leads us (at least me) to believe that this is the "print cost" and not a SmugMug price.

I think it's pretty obvious that Smugmug is extended a cost, from the labs, that would be *lower* than what the print lab charges to retail/web customers. Yet, as paying Smugmug Pro account holders, our print cost is greatly inflated.

Just looking for some justification or more info. on this since I/we are paying for it.

Roger

Comments

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    price differences
    Hi Roger,

I am sorry that you are upset with the difference in prices between the print lab and what we charge. We negotiate contracts with the print labs as to how much we are charging and these do not change very often. The print lab has the ability to change and set their prices much more fluidly than we do. We are set to the prices that are negotiated at contract time. [/COLOR]
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick reply.

That is upsetting. It's a 31% premium we're paying to Smugmug (in this scenario anyway), and that's before we're asked to pay another 15% of our profits, on top of our annual service fees.

:(

Oh well.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    delrusso wrote: »
    My question is: Why is our print cost so much higher than that actual print lab cost? For example, the cost for a 4x6 print (Bayphoto) via Smugmug's pricelist is *over* 30% more than if that same print is ordered directly from Bayphoto.
    You are incorrect. Please review the prices. The price from SmugMug is actually lower.

Bay Photo 4x6 http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_standardsizes.htm
    Color Corrected: .49 Non color corrected: .29

SmugMug 4x6 printed at Bay: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABCP#BayPhoto
    Color Corrected: .38 Non color corrected: .25
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2012
    Andy,

Thanks for the followup. I stand corrected and should have spent more time comparing the prices. I'm trying to figure out how I and my client arrived at the conclusion that we on this topic. My only guess is that I failed to compare apples to apples. In this case, color corrected costs vs. non-color corrected.

Also, thanks for taking the time to link to the pricing pages.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    I've had clients complain about pricing in the past. One key thing that I keep having to explain to them is the differences between getting them printed by a pro lab versus Walgreens. Educating our customers should be the first thing before we even discuss the cost of prints. This way they know why it costs more. Too bad, so many people think a print is just a print ... that is until they see the differences side-by-side.

BayPhoto prints ROCK!
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    I know I'm following up on an old thread here, but is there any way to get a page with all my Bay Photo prices without going thru and doing a thousand clicks to add products to a price list then open up each price list section to see the prices for the items in that section? Apparently Andy linked to such a page, a while ago, but now it just lists the types of prints with no pricing. (I has a sad.) This is very, very tedious.

I don't want to carry all the products but I DO want to see all printed products on one page (e.g. spreadsheet) organized by product in rows and sizes in columns (or visa versa). If this is available as a single spreadsheet, awesome. If it's not available as a spreadsheet I'll reinvent the wheel but I really do NOT look forward to the problem I'm experiencing right now of just trying to get the data, before I can even get it into a spreadsheet.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,255 moderator
    edited May 25, 2014
    jcdill wrote: »
    I know I'm following up on an old thread here, but is there any way to get a page with all my Bay Photo prices without going thru and doing a thousand clicks to add products to a price list then open up each price list section to see the prices for the items in that section?
    I just did a search for smugmug bay photo catalog and I found a SmugMug Blog post from April of 2013 that linked to two spreadsheets with Bay Photo prices. Someone from smug will need to verify that the linked spreadsheets are still current.

The blog post is at http://news.smugmug.com/2013/04/19/new-bay-photo-products-to-buy-and-sell/.

To a Smug representative - are these pricelists current?

--- Denise
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Send an email to the help desk and we can send you a current price catalog. The one Denise linked is a bit outdated.

Email us
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Send an email to the help desk and we can send you a current price catalog.
    You have a version easily findable by search that you say is out-of-date. Is there a reason why that version hasn't been updated to the latest price catalog?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    You have a version easily findable by search that you say is out-of-date. Is there a reason why that version hasn't been updated to the latest price catalog?

--- Denise
    I believe some pros where worried that their customers would see the base/default prices of the prints and then wonder why a pro was charging them $5 for a 4x6 when the cost was only $0.19. Of course we all know the reason but a customer may not realize how much time/work/money/passion actually goes into photography. Hmm, that blog post should probably be edited so the old catalog links are removed. Kinda defeats the purpose headscratch.gif. I'll let someone know, thanks Denise.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    I believe some pros where worried that their customers would see the base/default prices of the prints and then wonder why a pro was charging them $5 for a 4x6 when the cost was only $0.19. Of course we all know the reason by a customer may not realize how much time/work/money/passion actually goes into photography. Hmm, that blog post should probably be edited so the old catalog links are removed. Kinda defeats the purpose headscratch.gif. I'll let someone know, thanks Denise.
    Thanks Zac.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    The blog post has been edited. Denise can you edit your post to remove the catalog links? Thanks :)
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    The blog post has been edited. Denise can you edit your post to remove the catalog links? Thanks :)
    catalog links are removed.

--- Denise