Options

Learning Photoshop

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited November 14, 2005 in Finishing School
What, if any, books, websites, or computer based training programs are recommended for learning Photoshop? I own PS CS2 and Elements 4.0 and only know very basic techniques. I know there is a lot of valuable info here on Dgrin. I'm looking for a "Photoshop" class essentially.

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Peter, I've got a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS one-on-one (with CD) by Deke McClelland that I'd let you have for a good price - send me a PM or email if you're interested.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
  • Options
    suntzusuntzu Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Here's how I got into Photoshop. After trying and giving up trying to learn it many times on my friend's computer, I decided that the best way was to actually do some work that I wanted to do. Doing examples and reading from a book is well and good for some people but for me actually doing a project was the most beneficial.

What I did was try to make a good looking webpage. So what I did was grab a sheet of paper and draw the website by hand. I added notes about what I was thinking and which colors or effects to use. I went to sites and wanted to know how to add that graphic to my site (not by copying it straight from the site).

After gathering all the non-photoshop information I could, I got started looking for short tutorials that I could use for my webpage. It went straight to how to do it along with what tools to use. If a tutorial was too conplicated, I either tried to find a similar one and use that or move on to another aspect of the site and use that tutorial.

All this builds up and makes you comfortable with using the tools even if you never plan on making a webpage again and only using it for photos. The wonderful thing about this was that it exposed me to different "workflows". There's lots of ways to do the same thing in PS so finding a workflow that's the most comfortable really speeds up your productivity.

Here are the site that helped me out:
    http://www.good-tutorials.com/
    http:[size=-1]//www.wowwebdesigns.com/[/size]
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Peter,
    Basically, anything by Scott Kelby and/or Kevin Ames (the latter can be more advanced) is a great stuff. I would not be where I am with PS now without those books.

Good luck!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    all three authors have put together very great books, I use one of two things for all my PS2 needs. One, the book and two, my brother-in-law who graduated from college in computer animation and also has been doing web design for the past six years.
    PeterGar wrote:
    What, if any, books, websites, or computer based training programs are recommended for learning Photoshop? I own PS CS2 and Elements 4.0 and only know very basic techniques. I know there is a lot of valuable info here on Dgrin. I'm looking for a "Photoshop" class essentially.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Don't forget NAAP

$99 per year and for that you get a lot
    Tutorials Photoshop User Mag and Video tips are great
    Really good stuff

Fred
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Napp
    USAIR wrote:
    Don't forget NAAP

$99 per year and for that you get a lot
    Tutorials Photoshop User Mag and Video tips are great
    Really good stuff

Fred
    This is a very good stuff, but if one's only getting his/her feet wet, I'd suggest to start with something more consistent, i.e. books.
    NAPP is great for honing your skills, but they have to be primed first.
    Strictly MHO.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    This is a very good stuff, but if one's only getting his/her feet wet, I'd suggest to start with something more consistent, i.e. books.
    NAPP is great for honing your skills, but they have to be primed first.
    Strictly MHO.
    15524779-Ti.gif Just keep it in mind when you get there :D

Fred
  • Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Peter, I've got a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS one-on-one (with CD) by Deke McClelland that I'd let you have for a good price - send me a PM or email if you're interested.
    Got me a copy of this book a few days ago at a great price. Lots of good info. Hopefully my copy of Dan Margulis Lab Color will be arriving tomorrow.
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    whitefordwhiteford Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2005
    :): Here is a link to online training I use that is very good.

http://www.vtccanada.com/index.html

Dave