Mini-Challenge #187 - Sports FACT - RESULTS

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited June 10, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
This mini challenge has many great sports images from many different sports and ages.

I selected the images based on FACT - Face, Action, Contact and Toy -(ball, bat, etc.) and also: focus, DOF, lighting, color, storytelling, composition and impact.

For the fun of it, here are four images that are either humorous or have special meaning, at least to me. The baseball collision is with a player from Michigan State University, which is the school I root for in any sport. So, I am little partial to that just for the fun of it. And the other three I think speak for themselves.
For%20the%20fun%20of%20it-XL.jpg

My top ten favorites are from many different sports. From this group I selected six to review.

TOP%20TEN-X2.jpg

Two Special Mention:
Coming Around Left-handed by wmstumme (Will)
IMG_7191a-X2.jpg
Got all the four FACT components - Face, Action, Contact and Toy. Focus and dof are both very good. I do feel that the image is a little underexposed perhaps, which to me distracts from the image.

The tongue by GSPeP (Peter)
1D3_6759-XL.jpg
Any parent would consider this a keeper. The concentration by the young boy and the hip movement would do any batting coach proud. Captured motion of the bat, ball and boy. Focus appears to be off just a tad and shadows could maybe be reduced just a little.

Four
Out of My Way by Mike J
i-Z45QQ7N-960x960.jpg
Got all the four FACT components - Face, Action, Contact and Toy. Capturing sports in the winter I think has a little extra difficulty and that is dealing with the white snow. It takes a little more experience and knowledge to get a good exposure as was done in this image. Lighting, color, dof, focus, etc. are all there. I really like the captured motion and illustrated motion (blur snow flying) in one image, which I believe is an usual combination in any sports image. I do find the sign to be a little distracting.

Three
The Pitcher by jmphotocraft (Jack)
1D2_7175-X2.jpg
Perfectly captured baseball pitcher. Background out of focus, excellent dof, lighting on the face and color. Captured emotion on the face is striking. Got three of the four FACT components. I would hope that any parent would want a copy of this image (Jack recently posted a survey of images reflecting parents tastes, which was contrary to voting photographers idea of an excellent sports image.)

Two
The Cross by jmphotocraft (Jack)
IMG_3625-X2.jpg

It was very difficult to chose between these last two. This image has got it all. Two players faces captured with different emotions. The intensity is striking. Everything technical is perfect - lighting, color, focus, and more. Action (captured motion) of the two players. Contact - player contacting the ball. Toy - the ball. Lines from left to right to the ball really adds to the image.

One
Eyes Ahead by Mike J
i-KGNVfww-960x960.jpg
Got all the four FACT components - Face, Action, Contact and Toy. Captured face straight on and eyes looking right at the viewer. Action shows both captured and illustrated motion with the snow blurred a little. Contact - the pole which is a line going in opposite the direction of the skier. Toys - pole skis - a wee bit of correction here perhaps - cropped a little too tight with one ski just barely showing. And as mentioned above it can take a little more technical knowledge to get the correct exposure in all that white background.

Well done Mike J and over to you for the next Dgrin mini challenge. (Mike I will send you a Dgrin PM to advise what to do next.)

BTW, the collages were done with a free and easy to use tool - Google Picasa.

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    Phil -
    I'm honored to have my photo chosen as the winner. I'll be posting a new challenge tomorrow... Humm wonder what it will be? Again, honored to be chosen with all of the great entries.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    Thanks Phil! Honored to take 2nd and 3rd. The parents of The Pitcher did order a sequence including that shot. (It doesn't have all 4 components though?) As an alpine snowboarder myself, I enjoyed Mike's pics very much! Well done.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Thanks Phil! Honored to take 2nd and 3rd. The parents of The Pitcher did order a sequence including that shot. (It doesn't have all 4 components though?) As an alpine snowboarder myself, I enjoyed Mike's pics very much! Well done.

Glad to hear the parents did order "The Pitcher" image. I agree it doesn't have all four FACT components and I wonder if a pitching sequence throwing the ball could. I think it is fair to say that not every sport situation can have all four components and that is why I believe other factors add to the overall quality of a sports image. I am not a professional sports photographer, so this is just my opinion and I am always learning something new.

In "The Two" image I especially like the line from the defender looking down toward the ball with the offensive player concentrating on the ball and his leg as part of that line. I am not sure a photog could set up a pose like that.

Phil
    Phil
    edited May 28, 2014
    Glad to hear the parents did order "The Pitcher" image. I agree it doesn't have all four FACT components

No I meant that it does have all four, as you defined them. Contact with the toy - he's holding the ball.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 28, 2014
    No I meant that it does have all four, as you defined them. Contact with the toy - he's holding the ball.

Ah, I suppose that could apply, but I guess I would think more along the lines of another object or player contacting the toy (ball.) in that sports scenario.

In the sample track photo, I listed that as 3 out of 4 components because the runners were holding the baton and no runners were touching each other.

If that photo was of runners passing the baton - both making contact with the baton I would have added contact. Or if runners were bumping into each other I would include that as contact.

This is definitely an art not a science. It is meant as a guideline, something easy to remember so when a person is just starting out to take sports photos they can apply it.

Phil
    Phil
    edited May 28, 2014
    I agree a pitcher holding a baseball is not quite the same as a soccer player kicking (or even about to kick) a soccer ball. Still, the possession of the ball/toy makes any sports photo infinitely more effective and meaningful, so I think I would still count it.
    -Jack

edited May 28, 2014
    I agree a pitcher holding a baseball is not quite the same as a soccer player kicking (or even about to kick) a soccer ball. Still, the possession of the ball/toy makes any sports photo infinitely more effective and meaningful, so I think I would still count it.

Perhaps "Contact" could be defined as "in contact", or "making contact." The latter is what I had in mind but did not include in definition.
    Phil
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Phil,

Sorry for the late reply (was on vacation till yesterday) - Thanks for mentioning one and showing two of my pictures.