Options

GPS data into Aperture with Canon50D

vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited May 31, 2014 in Accessories
This Q has lots of moving parts, so bear with me. I have a MacPro, Aperture software, an iPhone and a Canon50D camera and am going to be traveling. What I want to do is have location [GPS] data written easily [note that word!] to the EXIF file for the images, either while I'm shooting or when I'm importing.

I tried to use my iPhone as a backup a month or so ago - shoot with the 50D then do a quick image with the iPhone to grab the location. But then I have to go thru one by one and enter the data and I also had trouble synchronizing the iPhone images with the 50D [no doubt my fault on import].

The Canon accessory to allow this to be done is more expensive than I'd like to pay and there must be other less expensive work arounds. Or other suggestions. Weight is an issue as well, as the lens and camera make the assembly heavy enough.

Thanks
Victoria L. Herring
http://www.JourneyZing.com
Customized travel research and planning
Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    To do this, you need something that will provide you with GPS tracks, and then something to associate the track data with your photos.

For generating tracks, you can use your iPhone, but you will need an app to provide the track data. I use an app called MotionX GPS. You simply turn on the tracking feature, and then go shoot. You can also use a regular GPS to do this, though the car one's don't work. I use a Garmin eTrex, as they can go for days on a battery, and don't suck down my iPhone battery.

As for associating track data with the images, you need software that essentially matches the time on the GPS track with the time the image was taken. I use a Mac app called GPSPhotolinker. Basically, you load your track file (.gpx) and then point to your photos. The app will update the EXIF data on the images with the GPS data. Then you simply import the images into Aperture as normal.
  • Options
    WatersideWaterside Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2014
    "Easily" can be a subjective term. Obviously the easiest would be to have the camera GPS tag the photos directly.

I either use a dedicated GPS recorder or my android to record GPS tracks while photographing. I then use HoudahGeo to import the tracks and tag my photos. It is an extra step but is easy.

You will want to ensure that your camera clock (time) is accurate since the timestamp is what software, such as HoudahGeo or GPSPhotolinker, use to find the location from the GPS track.