Options

Phottix Mitros+ TTL Transceiver Flash for Nikon - Do you recommend it?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited June 1, 2014 in Accessories
Do the Phottix Mitros+ radio transmitter flashes for Nikon work? They have existed for Canon for a while and they seem to be pretty reliable for Canon cameras. How about Nikon?
I have done my research and so far people are not too happy with them. They seem to recycle a little bit slow after a few seconds of firing...

Do you have any personal experience you would share? I am interested how they work for Nikon cameras.

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    I guess it depends on who you ask. I did my fair share of research before buying and haven't read the recycle time as a big negative. If faster recycle times are needed then something like a bare bulb flash or the the Gotox/Cheetah line of lithium powered flashes may be the ticket. http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v850-ving-review/

I bought the Kelby Phottix kit http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-scott-kelby-mitros-odin-portable-lighting-kit/ and have been happy with it. If you follow the link there's a review from a wedding photographer who was positive about the system and now isn't.

I did have to send the Mitros+ back to replace the flash tube but the repair was under a week. I've had Nikon sb-800's and Sb-700's give me problems so that isn't a biggie to me. AS far as the triggering goes it works as advertised. I have the mitros+ as one flash and my sb-700 paired with a odin receiver as the other. They work fine together. As a bonus I can get high speed sync with my Alien Bee 800 using the odin transmitter/receiver.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Thanks so much!

Great work by the way!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Thanks. I have a beach wedding Saturday so if the Mitros+ fails again I will report back.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have a beach wedding Saturday so if the Mitros+ fails again I will report back.

Awesome! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2014
    The repaired unit worked fine. Here are some samples from the proof gallery. I used the included umbrella from the kit for these. I have some for fun shoots scheduled for next week so we will see how the unit holds up. If it does I may go ahead and buy another kit as I use two camera for weddings and it would be nice to have a third flash as well as another trigger.

p368341912-5.jpg

p335814222-5.jpg

p435063465-5.jpg