Cotton Carrier Camera Vest Question/Review

eyeguyeyeguy Dat's PhotographyPosts: 169Registered Users Major grins
edited June 2, 2014 in Accessories
Hi All

I am on the hunt for a new way to carry around my camera (D600 & or D300 with most used lens 24-70 2.8) I have a Carry speed shoulder strap works good but when hiking or walking around it still needs to have a hand on it to stop it from swinging around. So now Im looking for a stable and secure way to keep my camera out of harms way and have easy access to it when needed. I was looking at the Cotton Carrier Camera Vest for 1 Camera and was hoping to get some feedback from owners before dolling out the cash.

If you can give me your thoughts pros/cons etc or if you have a better way I and others probably would wish to hear fem owners not photographers hoping to get a sponsorship deal with Cotton Carrier.


Thanks in advance for you comments
Dean

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/camera-carrier-vest-system-p/635rtl-s.htm

Comments

  • duff65duff65 Big grins Posts: 25Registered Users Big grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    The cotton carrier is a nice system but for me a little to pricy.
    What I bought was a Movo vest from amazon, seams to be ok so far and the price is great. I carry my D610 with 24-70 2.8 and aDF with 14-24 2.8

    http://www.amazon.com/Movo-MB1000-Camera-Carrying-Holster/dp/B00GP34H6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399382653&sr=8-1&keywords=movo+photo
  • eyeguyeyeguy Dat's Photography Posts: 169Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    Thanks Duff65
    That is very interesting. Question for you does the camera lock into place and rotate out the same way as the Cotton Carrier? and if you are using a tripod to you need to take of the plate to mount on the tripod ?
    Thanks
  • paddler4paddler4 Major grins Posts: 976Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    I have a Cotton Carrier vest. I most often use it when I have a heavy combination of lens and body, and for that, it is very nice. It is a bit of a nuisance to have to change to a dedicated plate, but you can get a plate that includes both an arca-swiss compatible section and the round part that the vest requires, so at least, once you have the plate on, you don't need to switch as long as you aren't going to use a tripod in portrait orientation.
  • duff65duff65 Big grins Posts: 25Registered Users Big grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    eyeguy wrote: »
    Thanks Duff65
    That is very interesting. Question for you does the camera lock into place and rotate out the same way as the Cotton Carrier? and if you are using a tripod to you need to take of the plate to mount on the tripod ?
    Thanks

    Yes it locks just like the Cotton Carrier twist and slide in twist back to lock.Yes you have to remove the pin to use a tripod
  • OffTopicOffTopic Searching for the light Posts: 520Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    I got tired of having the weight on my neck, shoulders and back, especially when I am carrying two cameras (or even just my 70-200 2.8 for a few hours!), so I decided I wanted to try a holster system and ended up going with Spider Holster. I shoot a lot of off road and off road racing, lots of running, scrambling on rocks, hiking through mountainous desert terrain and I seem to always be perched precariously on a rock when shooting, so security of my cameras was my biggest concern. Spider Holster has Arca-Swiss clamps available, including one that works with an L-bracket, so no need to change plates or remove pins to use a tripod. I absolutely love using my holster, it has been a game changer for me to have the weight on my hips instead of my upper body. Cameras stay close to your body when walking, no need to hold on to them. A bit pricey (less than the Cotton Carrier, more if you upgrade to the Arca-Swiss clamp) but well worth it, this system is rock solid. I know you don't want to hear from anyone looking to get a sponsorship deal so in the interest of full disclosure I need to say that Spider Holster sent me the holster for testing because of the extreme environment I would be using it in, but that didn't influence my opinion in any way. They did not ask me for a favorable review, I don't have an affiliate relationship with them and if there were things I didn't like about it or if it didn't stand up to my abuse I would say so (I'm known to be outspoken haha!).

    You can read my full review here if it sounds like an alternative you might be interested in.
  • duff65duff65 Big grins Posts: 25Registered Users Big grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    Thanks Lori I just ordered the adapter plate from Cotton Carrier
  • eyeguyeyeguy Dat's Photography Posts: 169Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 9, 2014
    Thanks all for your great comments
    Thanks all for your great comments, Im still pondering but my local camera store will let me trial out what ever product for two weeks so I will post with what I end up with and give it a review. If there are other comments for others that haven't posted please post your comments or suggestions Thanks again
  • KeithSKeithS Big grins Posts: 26Registered Users Big grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    I picked up a Cotton Carrier a few years ago and used it a few times. It was very good, but now that I no longer do much trail hiking or biking, and that I have L brackets and swiss-arca plates on my cameras, I don't use it. It is a good system, though.
  • ldlphotoldlphoto Beginner grinner Posts: 2Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2014
    My biggest concern with these foe tactical harness type carrying systems is that depending on where and what you shoot it could get you shot. I have had run ins with Local LEO for wearing a jacket over my Slung 7D. They were concerned I was carrying a weapon where it wasn't allowed. So I hope this system works for you just be safe and think about where you wear it.
  • eyeguyeyeguy Dat's Photography Posts: 169Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    My biggest concern with these foe tactical harness type carrying systems is that depending on where and what you shoot it could get you shot. I have had run ins with Local LEO for wearing a jacket over my Slung 7D. They were concerned I was carrying a weapon where it wasn't allowed. So I hope this system works for you just be safe and think about where you wear it.

    Thanks for the heads up, ldlphoto. can I ask where are you shooting that you encounter this kind of hostility ?
  • eyeguyeyeguy Dat's Photography Posts: 169Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    Thanks for your comments KeithS. Im understanding that there is no one system that will work for all shooting styles so may need to invest in more than one type ??
  • lightyearlightyear Major grins Posts: 185Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    swinging camera
    eyeguy wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments KeithS. Im understanding that there is no one system that will work for all shooting styles so may need to invest in more than one type ??

    There is a solution that has worked for me with all lenses and cameras: I use the OptechUSA chest stabilizer strap. I normally carry my cameras with a standard neck strap ( also made by OptechUSA) and when I want to stabilize the camera body I also attach their 'stabilizer strap' which separately goes around my chest with an adjustable nylon strap which is attached to a chest centered wide neoprene section that has circular hole in the center. The camera lens protrudes through the hole, keeping the whole rig close to your chest. The neoprene portion is flexible, and it is very easy to slide the camera out from under the neoprene ( leaving the 'stabilizer' in place) for shooting, and replace it when needed. This has worked for me riding horses & mules, as well as when physically active or hiking up/down various trails. I found the hole a little small for wider diameter lenses and easily enlarged it with a razor blade. When in use I am unaware that the camera is there.
  • eyeguyeyeguy Dat's Photography Posts: 169Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Thanks
    lightyear wrote: »
    There is a solution that has worked for me with all lenses and cameras: I use the OptechUSA chest stabilizer strap. I normally carry my cameras with a standard neck strap ( also made by OptechUSA) and when I want to stabilize the camera body I also attach their 'stabilizer strap' which separately goes around my chest with an adjustable nylon strap which is attached to a chest centered wide neoprene section that has circular hole in the center. The camera lens protrudes through the hole, keeping the whole rig close to your chest. The neoprene portion is flexible, and it is very easy to slide the camera out from under the neoprene ( leaving the 'stabilizer' in place) for shooting, and replace it when needed. This has worked for me riding horses & mules, as well as when physically active or hiking up/down various trails. I found the hole a little small for wider diameter lenses and easily enlarged it with a razor blade. When in use I am unaware that the camera is there.

    Thats a fantastic idea and probably less camera nerdy and less expensive thumb.gifivar
Sign In or Register to comment.