Options

Advice on pricing Smugmug. Help!

jztr99jztr99 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
I tried going online and I am at a loss for how much to mark up on Smugmug. The default is 400%. I don't want to charge so little I am not taken seriously but I don't want to rip anyone off or pretend I am more established than reality serves.

I am an amateur photographer but through the years I have been able to obtain some shots I hope have enough value to sell. I don't make my major income with photography and have yet to purchase a high end SLR but I have gotten by. The default is 400% and I have seen justification for that online but my gut tells me it is too much! I know there is a lot behind the scenes. I know it is personal preference but I would love to know everyone's opinion.

Any advice? Anything?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited May 24, 2014
    There are plenty of discussions in this forum on pricing. I would encourage you to do a search in this forum for "pricing" in the title of threads.

Here are links to a few recent threads on pricing:
    Pricing Threads
    Pricing Suggestion
    Pricing Conundrum in the Digital Age

There are many more...

--- Denise
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    There is simply no set answer. The answer is: whatever the market YOU are serving will bear. What is it you are trying to sell? how are you marketing your site to potential buyers? Are you marketing to local clients or to anyone on the internet who is just searching smugmug?
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Simple. Find a pro in your area offering your type of services, who has online ordering or price lists, and copy their prices. Undercut them a bit to show you are less experienced.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    shuttersmilesshuttersmiles Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2014
    thank you, will do.