Options

No comfort zone B&W

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
edited June 19, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
I like film black and white photos. I've done my own developing and printing of black and white photos. But... I have an unreasonable but passionate dislike of digital black and white photos. I only use black and white if I have errant colors that are distracting. So I view black and white photography when it is digital as a cop-out or else pretending to be 'artistic'. This is my prejudice. So this challenge is ESPECIALLY OOMCZ.

I also did not know how to set my camera to B&W although I would sure it could be done if I just knew how. I went through all of the menus several times without result, and finally had to go look it up. The directions didn't exactly compute, but I did something similar. To test it out, I took a selfie

IMG_3866.JPG

I think my old skin is ugly, but I like how the white hair on the right seems to shine.

My husband came up to put eye drops in my eyes (I go back to the eye doc next week to maybe get a prescription so I can see out of my right eye) and I told him to look evil and hold the medicine bottle over my eye.

This was the result.

IMG_3868.JPG

That doesn't look that evil to me, but we've been married for 55 years so he just looks like he's laughing to me.

Anyway I'm sure I can do better if I try
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 9, 2014
    That's a good starting point! Play some more with lighting and such and see what pops up! Some of the best pictures are only semi-planned. You are going for one thing and end up with another that ends up being a winner!

Your hubby has a face that could make some great set up poses for a great bw. Maybe bribe him with food to get him to pose more for you!10944573-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2014
    Laughing.gif - he does the shopping and cooking so food isn't going to work. He does have a great face though.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 10, 2014
    he has a wonderful face! You know, now that I see you both, I almost feel like I met you all before. Perhaps on a cruise ship? Who knows!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2014
    Here are some other efforts. A waitress at another table when we went out to dinner

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

Bob telling me not to take his photo

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

my grandson - this was originally in color and I think the focus looks a little too soft

And these were at the Better Breather's Club meeting this afternoon

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

Just for fun I shot a photo of the TV but when it is expanded you can see the dots.

IMG_3901.JPG