David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited June 11, 2014
    Ooooohhhh! Incredible. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2014
    Kind of dream shot in terms of elements! to get lightning is also amazing. What is bothering me is the yellowish or bit brown bit patch in middle of the clouds......what is it? It is acting as eye pull. With these great light play and lightning, I would at least explore monochrome options! Good work!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Flyjets1Flyjets1 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2014
    Hi Stumblebum...
    thanks for the feedback. That "brown" spot in the middle of the cloud is what prompted me to pull over and take the shot (the lightning was a surprise and not even noticed until I got home and looked at the image on the computer... dumb luck!!). That brown spot does not only appear in the cloud but if you look closely that hue appears on the horizon just under the cloud. The only thing I can think of is that there was a huge towering cumulus above the layer in the image and it cast this color onto the cloud above and beyond the frontal passage on the horizon. Whatever the cause it's simply one of the mysteries of mother nature without any help from this photographer (except for some levels adjustments in photoshop)... I had thought about trying to take that color out of the image... but I'm not that good with photo manipulation.
    again.. thanks.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Kind of dream shot in terms of elements! to get lightning is also amazing. What is bothering me is the yellowish or bit brown bit patch in middle of the clouds......what is it? It is acting as eye pull. With these great light play and lightning, I would at least explore monochrome options! Good work!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2014
    Flyjets1 wrote: »
    Hi Stumblebum...
    thanks for the feedback. That "brown" spot in the middle of the cloud is what prompted me to pull over and take the shot (the lightning was a surprise and not even noticed until I got home and looked at the image on the computer... dumb luck!!). That brown spot does not only appear in the cloud but if you look closely that hue appears on the horizon just under the cloud. The only thing I can think of is that there was a huge towering cumulus above the layer in the image and it cast this color onto the cloud above and beyond the frontal passage on the horizon. Whatever the cause it's simply one of the mysteries of mother nature without any help from this photographer (except for some levels adjustments in photoshop)... I had thought about trying to take that color out of the image... but I'm not that good with photo manipulation.
    again.. thanks.

Its a beautiful accident then! Just amazing! clap.gif
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2014
    Fantastic Capture! I've seen this type of yellowish hue in gray clouds out here in the west.
    Out here it usually means one of two things in my experience, Hail or an accumulation of
    Dust.
    Unfortunately, out here it's usually Hail.

Very Well done and thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2014
    Yikes!
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2014
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2014
    Very cool shot... I like every aspect-composition, exposure, tone, PP. The grass/flowers in the foreground add a wonderful border to the gray of the water/sky.

PLEASE-do not muck about getting rid of anything! :bluduh -(especially a naturally occurring "brown spot" that adds a unique aspect to your shot). Why does it seem like 'we' are never satisfied with pictures "as seen" anymore? ne_nau.gif

For me anyway, the best landscapes are the ones that represent what the photographer was actually looking at when the shot was taken (to heck with what Ansell Adams 'may' have done! rolleyes1.gif). This is what separates a fantastic landscape shot and a manipulated piece of "art"...

:D

Anyway-good one!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2014
    Mongrel wrote: »
    Very cool shot... I like every aspect-composition, exposure, tone, PP. The grass/flowers in the foreground add a wonderful border to the gray of the water/sky.

PLEASE-do not muck about getting rid of anything! :bluduh -(especially a naturally occurring "brown spot" that adds a unique aspect to your shot). Why does it seem like 'we' are never satisfied with pictures "as seen" anymore? ne_nau.gif

For me anyway, the best landscapes are the ones that represent what the photographer was actually looking at when the shot was taken (to heck with what Ansell Adams 'may' have done! rolleyes1.gif). This is what separates a fantastic landscape shot and a manipulated piece of "art"...

:D

Anyway-good one!

When the naturally occuring brown spot hits your eye
    Like a big pizza pie, that's amorerolleyes1.gif