Options

Smugmug will not let me customize...

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited June 22, 2014 in Bug Reporting
I'm trying to make a few very basic changes to my SmugMug portfolio with the intent of finally being able to convert over to new smug. After a few initial changes, I have again hit a wall. No matter what I try to do, customization stops working and gives me a little screen with the options Cancel and Done (pictures below). If I try to escape to get the error message shown in the second photo. Neither button has any effect or lets me escape the process. I end up having to close Safari or reboot to machine to escape. However, as soon as I sign back into SmugMug, click on customization and try to work, it freezes back into the same loop. Many times simply trying to get back in is impossible because the customize button has no effect. Any feedback on this movie HUGELY appreciated.

Dead Buttons

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%2012.43.03%20PM-L.png

Error Message if I try to exit customization

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%2012.48.13%20PM-L.png

Another error of the many dozen I hit...

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%2012.50.07%20PM-L.png
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited June 21, 2014
    You may need someone from smug to take a look, but in the meantime...

It might be worth clearing your browser cache or trying a different browser. When I was converting from legacy last summer there were some things I could only do in IE, Firefox and Chrome had problems. At this point I can use all of the browsers (or maybe I'm not longer doing that one thing that didn't work for me).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2014
    Hi Denise,

Thanks for your note. I've been away from all this for a couple months, and just got back to it recently. Everything I was able to accomplish this time was based on the notes you gave me the last time I attempted a couple months ago. They were huge help. With your tips I think I've been able to set up a Landing / Home page that's quite close to what I was after. I was in the process of cleaning it up and fine tuning when this level roadblock popped up.

I also tried to publish it earlier today and nothing happened, or at least it seemed that way. But now when I try to go back to legacy, it seems to be flat out gone... Ooops... If I had to guess, I'd say that the publishing happened, so it looks like there's no going back. That'll be fine if I can just get my customization working again. I'll try your tip and see what happens.

I should ask: How so I get in touch with the Smug people on something like this? I tried an email but no reply. I thought the had set up a live chat, but can't find it now...

Hope all is well with you. John

You may need someone from smug to take a look, but in the meantime...

It might be worth clearing your browser cache or trying a different browser. When I was converting from legacy last summer there were some things I could only do in IE, Firefox and Chrome had problems. At this point I can use all of the browsers (or maybe I'm not longer doing that one thing that didn't work for me).

--- Denise
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2014
    Well, you did it again Denise. bowdown.gif

I logged in with Chrome and within a couple minutes had the changes I was having trouble with completed. It looks like now I can get back to trying to finish my site. I'm not sure why Safari was having problems, but I don't really care at this point. I just wanted to get it done. I never would have thought of that. I've never had a browser make that much of a difference before. Now I know.

There's one thing I was trying to do that you may have run across. There's a type of bar I was hoping to have on my entire site. The best example of it is on the site by Leah Kennedy at the link below. I'm wanting to have a bar at the top of my screen which has social network graphic buttons at wine side and text links at the other. So has her head in the same bar, At least it seems that way, but I think I want that separate, but I'm not sure yet. I just want to have it as sleek and flexible as possible and the combined bar seems to be the best way.

http://www.leahkennedyphotography.com

Much appreciated Denise. John
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014
    Brody wrote: »
    I should ask: How so I get in touch with the Smug people on something like this? I tried an email but no reply. I thought the had set up a live chat, but can't find it now...
    They should be monitoring this forum but I wouldn't rely on that. Best is probably to email them, http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

I found this information about chat - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/313672.

You might also want to check that the smug email address is one that your email thinks is valid (as opposed to spam).
    There's one thing I was trying to do that you may have run across. There's a type of bar I was hoping to have on my entire site. The best example of it is on the site by Leah Kennedy at the link below. I'm wanting to have a bar at the top of my screen which has social network graphic buttons at wine side and text links at the other. So has her head in the same bar, At least it seems that way, but I think I want that separate, but I'm not sure yet. I just want to have it as sleek and flexible as possible and the combined bar seems to be the best way.
    John -
    It looks like you already have the 3 elements in your menu bar. You probably want more than home and favorites but that's just a matter of adding more menu items. You can select items, or you could just use the built-in browse link (http://www.johnbrody.com/browse).

There are some standard pages you might want to customize, see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210637-how-do-i-create-and-customize-pages-.

I recommend changing your "favorites" link so it doesn't open in a new browser tab.

I also recommend removing the smugmug header and footer. You can do that easily by going to Customize... Customize Site... Settings.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014

I recommend changing your "favorites" link so it doesn't open in a new browser tab.

I also recommend removing the smugmug header and footer. You can do that easily by going to Customize... Customize Site... Settings.

Good morning Denise.

You read my mind on the header and footer :) I came to my desk fully expecting a multi-hour slog this morning trying to figure out how to remove those two. Your note made it 5 clicks and I was done. Thanks for those free hours.

Can I ask your thoughts on the favorites opening in a new window? Often I open items in new windows so i don't lose the original source, but I also have 3 screens to handle the resulting clutter. Is that the reason for your suggestion?

I came up with the first pass top Menu bar late yesterday but haven't had a chance to test it. It's actually 2 menu bars and a header bar on the same vertical line. I have no clue if that's the right way to do it, I was just doing a bit of self-teaching more than anything. I do wish I could figure out how to use/embed the little icons like I see around SM, the kind that Leah Kennedy has on hers - They pop really well.

I seem to remember that there was a button that let you see the site the way that visitors will see it... Is there still a button like that? I can't seem to find it...

As always, much appreciated. John
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014
    Can I ask your thoughts on the favorites opening in a new window? Often I open items in new windows so i don't lose the original source, but I also have 3 screens to handle the resulting clutter. Is that the reason for your suggestion?
    The clutter caused by this behavior is something I won't accept. I expect all selections from a single web site to open in the same browser tab / window. If a site starts opening new tabs / windows when I haven't requested them I usually close the site.

If a viewer wants something to open in a new tab / window the browser provides an option to do that. I'm running Windows; if I right-click on a link I can specify that it should open a new tab / window.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014
    The clutter caused by this behavior is something I won't accept. I expect all selections from a single web site to open in the same browser tab / window. If a site starts opening new tabs / windows when I haven't requested them I usually close the site.

If a viewer wants something to open in a new tab / window the browser provides an option to do that. I'm running Windows; if I right-click on a link I can specify that it should open a new tab / window.

--- Denise

That makes sense Denise. Your way, people have an option, whereas the way I have it set they are being forced to clutter their screen.

Have you used the tip post by Aaron Meyers? I've tried a few of the tweaks and they seem to be working quite well. I'm trying to find those social buttons I mentioned. This is turning into a very productive morning. Getting more done today than in the last year. Your notes really gave me a boost :)

John
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014
    Have you used the tip post by Aaron Meyers? I've tried a few of the tweaks and they seem to be working quite well. I'm trying to find those social buttons I mentioned. This is turning into a very productive morning. Getting more done today than in the last year. Your notes really gave me a boost :)

John
    I'm glad I was able to help.

Yes, Aaron has some good customizations on his site (http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations). I've used a few of them but I've also been trying to not use a lot of code on my site.

--- Denise