first wedding--photos

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited July 28, 2014 in Weddings
I wouldn't have attempted this wedding if they hadn't told me it was to be outdoors, plenty of light. The day, however, was entirely dark and stormy; and I got a quick lesson in low-light photography. Here are some of the shots...would welcome C & C:
14june_untitled_207-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_212-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_057-2-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_075-2-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_120-2-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_103-4-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_072-3-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_078-3-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_188-3-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_052-5-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_077-5-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_089-5-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_225-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_195-4-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_237-4-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_039-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_057-X2.jpg

14june_untitled_129-X2.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2014
    These are very good. Should you decide to peruse wedding photography I think you will be very successful. Your clients will be happy campers.

The only thing I see from a technical standpoint is many image look to be shot at high ISO and have more noise than I like. Sometimes this is unavoidable.

BUT!!! I am noiseaphobic (sp). :D

Overall fantastic for first wedding and solid images.

Sam
  • NicholaskongNicholaskong Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2014
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    These are very good. Should you decide to peruse wedding photography I think you will be very successful. Your clients will be happy campers.

The only thing I see from a technical standpoint is many image look to be shot at high ISO and have more noise than I like. Sometimes this is unavoidable.

BUT!!! I am noiseaphobic (sp). :D

Overall fantastic for first wedding and solid images.

Sam

Thank you, Sam! That means a lot to me coming from you--I admire your work!
    I don't know what to do about the noise--it bothers me, too. I had to shoot at high ISO because the light was so poor. The day was dark and stormy. I'm just glad they turned out as well as they did--I was more nervous than the bride! Is there anything I can do about the noise besides what I already tried in Lightroom?
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited June 23, 2014
    can't see the photos

I don't see a reason for the photos not showing. Anyone else having this problem?
    Kate
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Thank you, Sam! That means a lot to me coming from you--I admire your work!
    I don't know what to do about the noise--it bothers me, too. I had to shoot at high ISO because the light was so poor. The day was dark and stormy. I'm just glad they turned out as well as they did--I was more nervous than the bride! Is there anything I can do about the noise besides what I already tried in Lightroom?

I couldn't see all the Exif info and I don't know the capabilities of your Nikon camera.

If you can put a RAW file or three in a drop box I will be happy to see what if anything can be done about the noise, but again the more important issue is that you got some nice shots and the clients will be happy.
    The analysis of these images is for future improvement.

Sam
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2014
    Very good for a first wedding imo. I just shot my 1st official earlier this month and I was also more nervouse then the bride. She was a good friend so that helped.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    The noise looks fine, I'd say if anything applying less noise reduction, and "embracing the grain", would be preferable to applying even more and making the images look all digital-y and smooth. You're accomplishing something in low light that was completely impossible just a decade or two ago, at least not without horrible amounts of film grain.

If I were you, I'd worry less about the technical limitations of your gear, and focus more on the technical mastery of other things like lighting and stuff, plus general skills for environmental portraiture and whatnot. Practice, practice, practice!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited July 2, 2014
    The noise looks fine, I'd say if anything applying less noise reduction, and "embracing the grain", would be preferable to applying even more and making the images look all digital-y and smooth. You're accomplishing something in low light that was completely impossible just a decade or two ago, at least not without horrible amounts of film grain.

If I were you, I'd worry less about the technical limitations of your gear, and focus more on the technical mastery of other things like lighting and stuff, plus general skills for environmental portraiture and whatnot. Practice, practice, practice!

=Matt=

Thank you, Matthew....that makes a lot of sense. I'd much rather focus on mastering my photos and getting good shots than on the grain and my gear!
    I love your work!
    Kate
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2014
    I've looked at these pics with my speakers at max volume, and can't hear a damn thing...

Great set!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2014
    Not bad for 1st wedding. There is definite room for improvement though. In general, many shots are too "flashy" (7,11,12, and all the dance shots). The light is very flat, somewhat harsh,and even. Try bouncing your flash next time which can soften the light and give it some directionality.. Also too many processing styles in the set..you want to keep some continuity and coherence in your set of images..stick to say 3 different kinds of processing "normal", maybe BW, and one other stylized type of processing. I count 5-6 different styles in this set.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 7, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    Not bad for 1st wedding. There is definite room for improvement though. In general, many shots are too "flashy" (7,11,12, and all the dance shots). The light is very flat, somewhat harsh,and even. Try bouncing your flash next time which can soften the light and give it some directionality.. Also too many processing styles in the set..you want to keep some continuity and coherence in your set of images..stick to say 3 different kinds of processing "normal", maybe BW, and one other stylized type of processing. I count 5-6 different styles in this set.

Thank you, Qarik. I did use a flash thingy (flash pointing up and bouncing out), but it's still too flashy, I know. I almost cried when I saw the forecast, as I didn't want to use flash at all--it was just so dark!! I am not happy with any of the shots where I used flash; and I definitely will read up on flash photography before I agree to shoot another wedding.
    I appreciate your honesty, all your comments are helpful.
    Kate
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    flash point up and bouncing out is not what you want. Point the flash up maybe 60 degrees and slightly behind you. It's a small change but the difference in light is HUGE. When you point up and slightly out..2 things happen:

1) you lose all directionality in the light and it turns flat and even
    2) because your flash is not pointed all the way up, your subject still see some amount of "direct" flash straight from the flash head which results in harsh shadows as your apparent light source is tiny.

The only way you could have done worse with flash is to point it directly at them.

When you point it up and slightly behind (have to figure out where walls are sometimes) 2 things happens:

1) your apparent light source becomes the lit up wall and ceiling. This SOFTENS the light dramatically..no harsh shadows.
    2) your apparent light source is coming in from one side. This give the light directionality which is the other 1/2 of the equation..now your subjects have light falling across them instead of just blanketing them. This gives your subjects DIMENSIONALITY.

That is what you want to shoot for in 90% of your images..soft directional light!

examples of up and slightly behind bounced shots:

in a dark club:
    kristina-bday-214-L.jpg

in a restaurant reception:
    kim_tyler-364-L.jpg
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • zcrookstonzcrookston Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Not bad at all for a first wedding. I bet you are your own worst critic and you will learn more as time goes on.

It helps that the venue was beautiful and bride and groom appear to be somewhat photogenic. The harder weddings for me are when the bride and groom and/or venue are less photogenic.

Good luck to you and your future weddings.
    edited July 24, 2014
    zcrookston wrote: »
    Not bad at all for a first wedding. I bet you are your own worst critic and you will learn more as time goes on.

It helps that the venue was beautiful and bride and groom appear to be somewhat photogenic. The harder weddings for me are when the bride and groom and/or venue are less photogenic.

Good luck to you and your future weddings.

Thank you. Yes, they were awfully cute.
    Kate
    edited July 24, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    flash point up and bouncing out is not what you want. Point the flash up maybe 60 degrees and slightly behind you. It's a small change but the difference in light is HUGE. When you point up and slightly out..2 things happen:

1) you lose all directionality in the light and it turns flat and even
    2) because your flash is not pointed all the way up, your subject still see some amount of "direct" flash straight from the flash head which results in harsh shadows as your apparent light source is tiny.

The only way you could have done worse with flash is to point it directly at them.

When you point it up and slightly behind (have to figure out where walls are sometimes) 2 things happens:

1) your apparent light source becomes the lit up wall and ceiling. This SOFTENS the light dramatically..no harsh shadows.
    2) your apparent light source is coming in from one side. This give the light directionality which is the other 1/2 of the equation..now your subjects have light falling across them instead of just blanketing them. This gives your subjects DIMENSIONALITY.

That is what you want to shoot for in 90% of your images..soft directional light!

examples of up and slightly behind bounced shots:

in a dark club:
    kristina-bday-214-L.jpg

in a restaurant reception:
    kim_tyler-364-L.jpg

Qarik, thank you for this. This is why I like dgrin....your comments are extremely helpful! I will certainly take your recommendations and incorporate them into what I'm doing. THANK YOU!!
    Kate
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    Indeed not bad at all, I love how you play with the DOF, how you capture the moment.

One small issue is the color/wb consistency throughout the shots, that is hard to maintain but in a series important. But besides that a good job.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    Very good first effort you your wedding photography.
    There is a couple of comment that I would make but not too sure if its worth while as most has been covered by previous comments already made. Look like you have made a good start keep it up.
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site