Photos in film as props

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited June 25, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
I was contacted regarding usage of a band photo I took in for a TV series. The production company wants to use the photo (along with album art, band photos not by me) as a "set dressing" or prop in the film.

I've been sent a licensing form by the band which pretty much releases the photo for use in the film.

Not knowing how much exposure this photo is going to get being a "prop".....is compensation usually provided? And what would be typical?

It almost feels like one of those things where it could be cool just to release it and if it gets used as a prop..great...and compensation would be bonus. Or the production, might have the stance of "we are not paying for that" and just find something else. What I don't want to happen is, I release the photo and it gets used for something more than what I understand.

Thanks!

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2014
    Kevin:

I'm sorry no one has been able to offer you feedback on this issue. I hope you've checked some of the other threads that deal with pricing models.

Have you made any decisions / moved on this?

• jstronerjstroner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2014
    I was contacted regarding usage of a band photo I took in for a TV series. The production company wants to use the photo (along with album art, band photos not by me) as a "set dressing" or prop in the film.

I've been sent a licensing form by the band which pretty much releases the photo for use in the film.

Not knowing how much exposure this photo is going to get being a "prop".....is compensation usually provided? And what would be typical?

It almost feels like one of those things where it could be cool just to release it and if it gets used as a prop..great...and compensation would be bonus. Or the production, might have the stance of "we are not paying for that" and just find something else. What I don't want to happen is, I release the photo and it gets used for something more than what I understand.

Thanks!

Hi Kevin - I would ask them for their standard rate sheet. The BBC used a number of my images in promotional material and as a prop in a show and they had specific rates for specific uses. Maybe they have one.