Options

How much should I charge?

ohsnapimagesohsnapimages Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 10, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
I work for a local community theater, taking headshots, publicity photos, and production shots. I work about 20 hours per show and there are generally 6 shows per year. I get paid only $50 per show. I also burn discs of photos for the theater and the actors (normally 400 photos) to try to make some additional cash, but it hasn't given me enough to live on. I now live 45 minutes away from the theater, so it's a lot of money in cash and tolls. I have worked with this pay for almost 4 years now, and I cannot afford to do it anymore. I want to ask for more money, but I do not know what to go in asking for. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2014
    I work for a local community theater, taking headshots, publicity photos, and production shots. I work about 20 hours per show and there are generally 6 shows per year. I get paid only $50 per show. I also burn discs of photos for the theater and the actors (normally 400 photos) to try to make some additional cash, but it hasn't given me enough to live on. I now live 45 minutes away from the theater, so it's a lot of money in cash and tolls. I have worked with this pay for almost 4 years now, and I cannot afford to do it anymore. I want to ask for more money, but I do not know what to go in asking for. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I have a hard time understanding this. It would be nice to know how much your earning with the CD sales to get a more accurate idea of your real gross per show.

That said your never going to earn enough to live on with 6 shows a year. :D

Now if you really need to spend 20 hours per show, photographing, post processing and are only grossing $50 or a $100 it is really up to you if it's worth it or not, but understand this works out to $2.50 to $5.00 per hour. When you account for gas, tolls, and CD's your even lower. You could get a job at minimum wage and come out much better.

Personally I wouldn't even consider this, and I doubt a community theater has the revenues to pay anyone enough to do this. At $8.00 per hour this would be $160.00 over three times what they are paying now. I wouldn't do it for this ether. :D

This kind of work is normally done by people who have an interest in the organization and supports the cause, not for money. The money is only to off set expenses not for actual pay.

Sam
  • Options
    ohsnapimagesohsnapimages Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    I have a hard time understanding this. It would be nice to know how much your earning with the CD sales to get a more accurate idea of your real gross per show.

That said your never going to earn enough to live on with 6 shows a year. :D

Now if you really need to spend 20 hours per show, photographing, post processing and are only grossing $50 or a $100 it is really up to you if it's worth it or not, but understand this works out to $2.50 to $5.00 per hour. When you account for gas, tolls, and CD's your even lower. You could get a job at minimum wage and come out much better.

Personally I wouldn't even consider this, and I doubt a community theater has the revenues to pay anyone enough to do this. At $8.00 per hour this would be $160.00 over three times what they are paying now. I wouldn't do it for this ether. :D

This kind of work is normally done by people who have an interest in the organization and supports the cause, not for money. The money is only to off set expenses not for actual pay.

Sam

I charge $10 per cd, but I don't make much on smaller shows. Sometimes nothing at all. I was hired in high school, but now that I am a junior in college, I can't afford it anymore. I've been volunteering at this theater practically my whole life. This is the only job I can get with the school program I am in, that's why I'm seeing if I can adjust my pay.
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    WHOA. At $2.50/hour, they must really love you!

I cannot tell you what to charge, you will have to figure this out. It will depend on your skill level, location, and your clients budget. But you do need to have an idea what you want to make/hour to base all your pricing off of.

Could be $10/hr or $100/hr depending on those factors and what you feel your time is worth.

You cannot depend on the CD sales, so base your fee off of a hourly rate that you want to make, then the CD sales will be a bonus.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    I'm sorry, but there is no good answer to increase your pay. You can't even sell $10 CDs - there simply is no demand for your product. What you have is akin to making tips for volunteer work. It will never be more than that. It is not a job. You are a volunteer. I'm unclear what school program you are in that prohibits you from getting another job but allows you to spend 20 hours per show 6 times per year. It seems more like you enjoy what you're doing but want to be paid more than anyone is willing to pay for the service you provide. Welcome to "professional" photography :) Seriously. Just because you want to make money doing a certain type of photography doesn't mean people are willing to pay you well to do it.

You have to decide which is more important to you - making money, volunteering or photography. Trying to do all 3 doesn't seem to be working. But just trying to charge more $$ isn't going to work out for you either.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    johng wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but there is no good answer to increase your pay. You can't even sell $10 CDs - there simply is no demand for your product. What you have is akin to making tips for volunteer work. It will never be more than that. It is not a job. You are a volunteer. I'm unclear what school program you are in that prohibits you from getting another job but allows you to spend 20 hours per show 6 times per year. It seems more like you enjoy what you're doing but want to be paid more than anyone is willing to pay for the service you provide. Welcome to "professional" photography :) Seriously. Just because you want to make money doing a certain type of photography doesn't mean people are willing to pay you well to do it.

You have to decide which is more important to you - making money, volunteering or photography. Trying to do all 3 doesn't seem to be working. But just trying to charge more $$ isn't going to work out for you either.

This says it way better then I did. clap.gif

Sam