Need a 2nd laptop...

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited July 11, 2014 in Nikon Land
I've been searching for a complete tethering solution recently (not Lightroom, that's for sure...lol) and have been turned-on to "Control My Nikon" which seems to be a very elegant piece of software. Only as of this date and into 2015 they won't have a MAC version. Bummer. But I'm so hot to do this act I'm into getting a second laptop as a temporary solution. Nothing fancy, in fact one of my geek friends advised me to check out AMD quad core processor-equiped units to save some bux. Obviously, it'd have to be a bit RAM-heavy, but I'm really not interested in doing anything but the tethering software and of course some 'net surfing...any suggestions? Can I get out for $500?
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    laptops
    I just bought a refurbished Lenovo 510 from one of the computer refurbishers ( Tampa computers) for under $400. It has a Win7 operating system, 4GB ram, etc. I think they can offer more RAM if needed.
    Stan
  • chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    lightyear wrote: »
    I just bought a refurbished Lenovo 510 from one of the computer refurbishers ( Tampa computers) for under $400. It has a Win7 operating system, 4GB ram, etc. I think they can offer more RAM if needed.
    Stan

Hey, thanks man for the info! Turns out I ended up with a new copy of Win 8.1 (been meaning to mess with the OS in any case) and installed a virtual on my Mac. Bestest solution by far...I'm only out a hundred bux and have all the punch of my maxed-out Mac...plus you've never seen a Windows OS boot so quickly! Hahaha, almost a head-slap and "duh" thing!
    Charlie Groh
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    chasgroh2 wrote: »
    Hey, thanks man for the info! Turns out I ended up with a new copy of Win 8.1 (been meaning to mess with the OS in any case) and installed a virtual on my Mac. Bestest solution by far...I'm only out a hundred bux and have all the punch of my maxed-out Mac...plus you've never seen a Windows OS boot so quickly! Hahaha, almost a head-slap and "duh" thing!
    Which virtualization software are you using?
  • chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    jthomas wrote: »
    Which virtualization software are you using?

VMware Fusion. Absolutely no problems as of this date. An IT friend of mine got this stuff installed when we set this thing up a year or so ago...of course I didn't leave the original Win 7 install alone which engendered this latest avoidable condition...lol...
    Charlie Groh