Mini-Challenge #190: Dramatic Summer Weather

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 5, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Let's keep with the summer theme and see some dramatic summer weather! Let's see thunderheads, rainbows, lightning, tornadoes (!), big sunsets/sunrises, ominous skies, whatever! Try to make it at least some kind of weather that you don't usually see outside of summertime, or that you associate with summertime.

Challenge runs until the end of the month - Thursday July 31st at 11:59:59PM EDT.

Here's some meager examples, and they're not even as dramatic as what I'm hoping to see, just what I can put my finger on at the moment. Good luck!

5D3_3384-X3.jpg

DSCF3653-X3.jpg

************************************************** *******************************************
Usual Stuff:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    Congrats on the win Jack!
    I missed the deadline on the last one so I am entering this one early.

1. Red sunset (taken tonight)
    IMG_7457-L.jpg

2. Namibian wild sunset
    IMG_5525-L.jpg

Still thinking about the last one… I have never photographed storms or thunderstorms and the weather is pretty calm right now. I have never seen a tornado and my rainbow pictures are pretty lame… Maybe a storm will happen before the closure of this mini :-)

Update 30 July - 3rd entry
    3. Huge rainbow!
    arc%20en%20ciel-L.jpg

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    To me, summer weather means HOT sun, and STORMS - like hurricanes or violent rainstorms. Things that are a bit hard for me to photograph
    I decided that dramatic sunsets were too easy so I don't have any of them or any of the puffy cumulus clouds.

So these aren't the best photos maybe but they are the best I can do to show summer weather.

x100_0965.JPG

Rainbow after a storm taken in 2004 on the Patuxent River

This is the best hurricane photo I have - after Hurricane Irene in 2011 -
    this was a house down the street from us with the driveway blocked by a utility pole (we had no electricity for a week)
    and part of an old tree "de-branched"

100_7440.JPG

All my photos from Isabel are point and shoot film camera photos so they all have a time stamp and while they are good for that type of photo, they aren't equal to photos of a proper photographer.

And I took this last week. We were pinned down in a BBQ restaurant until this violent thunderstorm passed
    IMG_3911.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    Here in Cali, we don't associate summer with "ominous weather".
    In fact, we don't really get "ominous weather" but certainly not in summer!

We do get sunsets and sunrises.

Cheers!
    edited July 16, 2014
    I can only illustrate MY summer weather. I can do dramatic sunsets and sunrises at any time of year. Actually the best of the sunsets I have were done in the winter in the tropics or sub-tropics

When we lived in California, where we lived summer was foggy. Until we went into the central valley where it was HOT.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Here in Cali, we don't associate summer with "ominous weather".
    In fact, we don't really get "ominous weather" but certainly not in summer!

We do get sunsets and sunrises.

Cheers!

"Ominous" weather is just one possibility. The word in the title of the challenge is "Dramatic", not ominous.
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I can only illustrate MY summer weather. I can do dramatic sunsets and sunrises at any time of year. Actually the best of the sunsets I have were done in the winter in the tropics or sub-tropics

Tropics? That's still summer.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited July 17, 2014
    I thought when you said 'summer' that mean northern hemisphere June, July, August and maybe September. Or for the southern hemisphere it would be November, December, January Feb. I personally would think I would be cheating if I used a photo from Florida in February. I do tend to be very literal.

30Jan03Feb2005FirstWeekInKeyWestInAMWRTrailerSunsetsButterfliesAndRestaurans.jpg20040203BootKeyBootKeyHarborAndSombreroKey.jpg2000DecTo2001JanTripDownTheFloridaICWToMiami.jpg

because it would be dramatic, but NOT summer.

If you are in the tropics, you don't really have summer or winter - just wet and dry. And a photo taken in Guatemala in March would also not be appropriate.

1998Tikal.jpg

I didn't mean that other people shouldn't consider sunset photos, but I decided to eliminate those type of photos from the ones that I considered in order to cut down on the possibilities. I would really have liked to have a photo that showed hot sun and people sweating, but I don't have any photos like that, or at least I do have some beach photos but they are all point and shoot film photos.
    edited July 17, 2014
    I think any image that makes one think of summer is fair, regardless of when or where it was taken. I think any of the above images would be fair game, and I'd really like to see them bigger!
    -Jack

edited July 17, 2014
  • DeborahLDeborahL Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    Mammatus Clouds
    These clouds occur after severe weather.

Clouds-XL.jpg
    edited July 23, 2014
    Oh I like that one. The clouds look like melons (and other melon like protuberances) :)
    edited July 23, 2014
    Oh I like that one. The clouds look like melons (and other melon like protuberances) :)

Yes, hence the name "mammatus clouds". That is really what they are called. :-)
    edited July 23, 2014
    Oh duh. Did not make the connection.
    edited July 23, 2014
    Oh duh. Did not make the connection.

I can we will be GREAT friends! Thank you for liking the picture!
    edited July 31, 2014
    Ends tonight!
    Let's see some more pics!
    -Jack

• RobLoudRobLoud Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Ominous Sky
    14607430635_ea529dcecc_b.jpg
    Farmhouse by robinloud, on Flickr
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Here are some more from California. (I've enjoyed the conversation in this thread as well!)

Thanks to DeborahL for letting us know the name of the "baby butt" clouds below. These showed up after a large storm rolled through Mariposa - in the Yosemite area. Not the best shot, but I was so excited to see these clouds I think I was jumping up and down!

IMG_7006-L.jpg

Another shot from Mariposa

Sunset%20red-L.jpg

Foresthill, Ca. Interesting rays through the clouds.

IMG_5730%20BW%20vignette-L.jpg
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    OK not great ... just answering the call for more pics ...

1) Stormy Lake District (UK)

IMG_5989-XL.jpg

2) Rainbow Island (Yes it's real!)

IMG_6018-XL.jpg

3) Rainbow 2

IMG_1617-XL.jpg

Good luck everyone
    Alan.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    One Summer Day
    Ominous Skies
    Ominous%20Skies-XL.jpg

Downpour
    Downpour-XL.jpg

After the Storm
    After%20the%20Storm-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 1, 2014
    Challenge is now closed, this is going to be tough! I'll post results this evening.
    -Jack

edited August 2, 2014
    OK, sorry for the delay. Many strong candidates here, hard to pick a winner or even 3! Thanks everyone for entering. Glad we got some more action approaching the deadline.

Here we go...

Honorable mention to DeborahL for enlightening us with this cool shot of Mammatus Clouds!
    Clouds-XL.jpg

Third place: Namibian Wild Sunset by ShootingStar
    IMG_5525-L.jpg
    Love the backlighting on the clouds and the crown of shadows. Also the glow behind the silhouetted hillside.

Second place: Ominous Skies by Earache
    Ominous%20Skies-XL.jpg
    Great capture of an approaching storm, the clouds look fluid, rolling, and threatening.

First place: Rainbow by Alans Grin
    IMG_1617-XL.jpg
    Love the intensity of the rainbow, the sliver of golden field, and the wall of ominous clouds that make the rainbow and field pop. Definitely makes me think of summer.

Congrats Alan! You're up!
    -Jack

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Congrats Alan! Your rainbow pics are fantastic - the double rainbow over the island is Lucky Charmed!
    Thanks Jack, there were some very beautiful shots submitted.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 2, 2014
    OK, sorry for the delay. Many strong candidates here, hard to pick a winner or even 3! Thanks everyone for entering. Glad we got some more action approaching the deadline.

Here we go...

Honorable mention to DeborahL for enlightening us with this cool shot of Mammatus Clouds!
    Clouds-XL.jpg

Third place: Namibian Wild Sunset by ShootingStar
    IMG_5525-L.jpg
    Love the backlighting on the clouds and the crown of shadows. Also the glow behind the silhouetted hillside.

Second place: Ominous Skies by Earache
    Ominous%20Skies-XL.jpg
    Great capture of an approaching storm, the clouds look fluid, rolling, and threatening.

First place: Rainbow by Alans Grin
    IMG_1617-XL.jpg
    Love the intensity of the rainbow, the sliver of golden field, and the wall of ominous clouds that make the rainbow and field pop. Definitely makes me think of summer.

Congrats Alan! You're up!

Congratulations to all! Thank you, Jack, for the honorable mention. It is, indeed an honor to mentioned, and a very pleasant surprise wings.gif DeborahL
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2014
    Many, many thanks Jack...

I was really pleased with that capture because although on a wildlife shoot in a UK bird reserve I did chuck my wide angle in my pack at the last minute. My wife and I got caught in the torrential storm and had to run to the nearest bird hide to try to avoid being completely drenched. After the storm passed over this was the view we were rewarded with - for me, it was worth a bit of a soaking!

I'll setup a new challenge shortly.

Alan.
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Thanks for the 3rd place. And congrats to Alan this is a beautiful shot!
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • TacoMonsterTacoMonster Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2014
    challenge closed already? I thought it ran until the end of August, lol, not July.
    edited August 5, 2014
    challenge closed already? I thought it ran until the end of August, lol, not July.

What part of Challenge runs until the end of the month - Thursday July 31st at 11:59:59PM EDT didn't you understand?
    -Jack