Options

Any suggestions for a blazing fast CF Card Reader

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited July 16, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
I've upgraded to a MacBook Pro that I use for post processing my photos and videos. I still have my old USB card reader (I think it's not even 2.0) and loading images is still slow (but super fast once loaded :wink). I'm looking to invest in a pro grade high speed CF card reader. Does anyone have any recommended products? Thanks.
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited July 12, 2014
    Just about any USB 3 reader should do. The fastest CF cards available today have read speeds of around 150MB/sec which is way slower than USB 3. So the limiting factor is the card speed, not the reader or computer port. I use a Transcend reader--the cheapest I could find--and it has been flawless.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 12, 2014
    What Richard said.

Lexar makes a nice USB 3.0 card reader that accepts both CF and SD style cards including the current 64 and 128 Gb cards. I don't remember the price.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    siaksiak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2014
    pemmett,

I've gotten good results from an inexpensive USB 3.0 card reader.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Memory-Card-Reader-FCR-HS3/dp/B005ES0YYA

I'm not an Apple guy but when I used it to load photos to a Surface Pro 2, I experienced download speeds that averaged 60MB/sec.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    siak wrote: »
    pemmett,

I've gotten good results from an inexpensive USB 3.0 card reader.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Memory-Card-Reader-FCR-HS3/dp/B005ES0YYA

I'm not an Apple guy but when I used it to load photos to a Surface Pro 2, I experienced download speeds that averaged 60MB/sec.

Siak, Thanks for this. I ended up getting the one you recommended. I was looking at the SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 Reader/Writer, but it's a lot more money so I thought I'd give the Kingston a run for the money until I need something better - which by the sounds of it will be a long time.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course