Options

Scenic Locations 1 Hour Or Less From Denver, Colorado

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
Hi There,
I’m looking for suggestions for some Colorado shooting locales within an hour’s drive of Denver.
Searching the Web, on something like “Places to Photograph in Colorado”, you
Get a bazillion hits. However, virtually all of the suggested locales are 2 or more hours
Away from where I live. That’s all well and good, and I fully intend to hit those spots. However, I am interested in locations within an hour’s drive of Denver, for those days when time is limited. On Sunday, I drove to Central City, via I-70, then onto Boulder. I was hoping to come across a lot of pull-off areas, in order to get some shots . There were only a few pull-offs, and it was really windy, so it was a total bust. Yesterday, I drove I-70 again, all the way to Silverthorne. I thought there would be a lot of spots where I could pull over for some shots. However, I did not come across any. What made me drive those routes was their promotion, online, as being scenic drives. Indeed they are. However, without any pull-offs, you cannot get any shots. Any suggestions for locations within an hour of Denver?

Thanks!

Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado
Tom Potter
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited February 20, 2014
    Tom Potter wrote: »
    I’m looking for suggestions for some Colorado shooting locales within an hour’s drive of Denver.
    Are there any photography clubs in the area that have a focus on landscape photography? It might be worth contacting them or attending a meeting to see if you can meet up with people who have some knowledge of the area.

I often visit the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge (in Massachusetts). Just curious, I did a search for national wildlife refuge and Denver and came up with http://www.fws.gov/refuge/rocky_mountain_arsenal/. Have you visited there? (If you have a National Park Pass it is good for entrance at National Wildlife Refuges as well.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014
    Are there any photography clubs in the area that have a focus on landscape photography? It might be worth contacting them or attending a meeting to see if you can meet up with people who have some knowledge of the area.

I often visit the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge (in Massachusetts). Just curious, I did a search for national wildlife refuge and Denver and came up with http://www.fws.gov/refuge/rocky_mountain_arsenal/. Have you visited there? (If you have a National Park Pass it is good for entrance at National Wildlife Refuges as well.

--- Denise

Hey Denise,

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes, I have visited the RM Arsenal. Very cool place! I will look into some local clubs. Thanks for going through the trouble to look up that info for me. Really appreciate it! :D
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    1.5 South, Colorado Springs -Garden of the Gods, USAF Academy.

1.5 North is Rocky Mountain National Park

1.5 West (Idaho Springs) Mt. Evans. Highest paved road in North America (MUCH better than Pikes Peak, less crowded, less known and actually higher than Pikes!) http://www.mountevans.com/

Sorry, within an Hour, the Arsenal has been covered.. unless you want to go to Boulder and tour Coors, or hit the University up in Boulder...
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    Also depends on when you are going.. Not sure when Mt. Evans opens... It's fun up there because you can see downtown Denver 70 miles away, especially the airport.
  • Options
    JMT CairnJMT Cairn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2014
    Mt. Evans
    I just had the same short window while in Denver on business. Granted, I gave myself a little more than an hour but still... Mt. Evans is a great place to go. The drive is incredible and the wildlife isn't shy.