New Monitor with Thunderbolt connection

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited December 23, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
I am in the market for a new monitor to replace my aging, venerable matte 30 inch Apple Cinema Display for my MacPro tower. They are not made anymore or I might just continue with it.

I stopped in the Apple store today and looked at the 27 inch Thunderbolt Apple display and was not terribly impressed - it is glossy with lots and lots of reflections in the store.

Any one have other suggestions for a ~30 inch monitor suitable for image editing, calibratable of course. I have no specific budget in mind, but less is better than a lot. It does need a Thunderbolt video input connection as that is the output from my tower these days.

I do have an HDMI connection as well, so should I even consider a 30-42 inch Hi Def TV monitor or is this heresy?
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    We got a bunch of these at work, which are quite nice: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&redirect=1&s=dhs&sku=210-40773

A Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and you're good to go. I think we paid about $630 for them.

You could also look at the 27" monitors from monoprice that are much cheaper, but the LCD panels are essentially the same. Just look for the version with the DisplayPort input (instead of dual link DVI).

Brian
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    A hi-def TV is only going to give you about 1280 vertical lines of resolution, no where near what your 30" cinema display gives you. TV's are optimized for video playback, which requires far fewer horizontal lines of resolution to give a sharp picture due to the ever changing nature of the content. Such is not the case with a computer display.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 24, 2014
    I figured an HD TV was not an idea I wanted to pursue.

I am still open to more suggestions for a new monitor for image editing. Not interested in games or anything else.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 24, 2014
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    With your old monitor you have been working in the sRGB color space.

The Dell U2713HM is a good cross over as it is also in the sRGB space and has a matte anti-glare coating on the screen.

If you want the same form factor as you have been using, I would also consider 30" 2560x1600 models from Dell (U3014), NEC (PA302), and EIZO. Most of these are wide gamut models offering full sRGB coverage plus 100% coverage of the AdobeRGB color space. Going from standard sRGB gamut to a wide gamut monitor will demand you be on top of the color management process. It is said to be much easier to manage in the Apple OS than Windows.

A good review site is ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Another site that has been good is Prad.de but the past year they have more or less stopped translating their German language reviews to English.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testberichte.html

The new 4K 3840x2160 monitors are interesting but I'm reading of some scaling issues. It may be too early in the cycle for you to adopt one of these. Also many, like the Dell UP3214Q, are a wide gamut.

edited July 24, 2014
    kdog wrote: »

Interesting monitor Joel, but they seem to only be available in the UK on that link you gave me. I have 110v at home, not 220v so that might be an issue.mwink.gif

I found it on Amazon, wouldn't you know, in US configuration. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I may have to look at this one more, Joel. Not cheap, but might be what I am looking for

Interesting, folks say it is available on Amazon for $999, but all I am seeing is $1295. I did find the $999 version on Amazon Prime, but they are out of stock and back ordered. That should not be a real problem. All the rest seem to be shipped from South Korea, hmmm...

Reviews on Amazon are extremely positive, saying it is the best monitor they have ever used.

Apparently it does support hardware calibration, but does not describe what device is the appropriate calibration tool.

I will do some more exploring. It apparently does have a semi-matte screen of some sort. That sounds more appealing than a glossy one, anyway.

Thanks for the heads up, Joel!

edited July 24, 2014
    Newsy wrote: »
    With your old monitor you have been working in the sRGB color space.

The Dell U2713HM is a good cross over as it is also in the sRGB space and has a matte anti-glare coating on the screen.

If you want the same form factor as you have been using, I would also consider 30" 2560x1600 models from Dell (U3014), NEC (PA302), and EIZO. Most of these are wide gamut models offering full sRGB coverage plus 100% coverage of the AdobeRGB color space. Going from standard sRGB gamut to a wide gamut monitor will demand you be on top of the color management process. It is said to be much easier to manage in the Apple OS than Windows.

A good review site is ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Another site that has been good is Prad.de but the past year they have more or less stopped translating their German language reviews to English.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testberichte.html

The new 4K 3840x2160 monitors are interesting but I'm reading of some scaling issues. It may be too early in the cycle for you to adopt one of these. Also many, like the Dell UP3214Q, are a wide gamut.

Thank you for this information, it is quite helpful.

I do prefer a matte screen ( for image editing ) even though it is not as "pretty" as a nice glossy screen. The lack of reflections is important to me. AdobeRGB versus sRGB does not influence me that much - sounds good, but I am aware that it introduces new variables in my workflow.

A wider gamut does sound appealing, if actually useable - my printer is probably still my limiting factor with regard to gamut, ( it is an Epson 3800 ) and I do not really want to replace it just yet. It gives me great matches with my calibrated screen and prints with the profiles I am currently using. Wider gamuts will/may change all that.

If I go to an Adobe RGB screen, to really get the value out of it, I will have to go to a printer that can actually print the gamut of Adobe RGB as well, won't i?

Maybe the Dell sRGB matte monitor is what I need to look at. The LG 34UM95 does look pretty cool though and it seems to work fine with the new Apple trash can

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 24, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Interesting monitor Joel, but they seem to only be available in the UK on that link you gave me. I have 110v at home, not 220v so that might be an issue.mwink.gif
    Actually they're shipping in the US now, but completely sold out except for the scalpers. BH is taking preoorders for shipment in Aug. naughty.gifhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040788-REG/lg_electronics_34um95_34_ultrawide_qhd_led.html
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    Jim,The spectraview

Take a look at the NEC high end models. I have a 27" matt screen with the spectra view (Xrite pro one)

I have been very satisfies.

Sam
    edited July 24, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Actually they're shipping in the US now, but completely sold out except for the scalpers. BH is taking preoorders for shipment in Aug. naughty.gifhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040788-REG/lg_electronics_34um95_34_ultrawide_qhd_led.html

I am using an older 24 in Cinema Display that I have had for years, so I can wait until this fall.

I will look at the high end NEC screens as well, Sam. Thanks to all.

edited July 27, 2014
    So Sam, is having an Adobe gamut monitor better than a fine monitor with a first rate sRGB display, especially if your printer cannot display the full Adobe RGB gamut on paper?

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 27, 2014
    That LG 34" at B&H monitor is much higher resolution than the stock MacPro tower's graphic card can output - which is limited to 2560 x 1600 (Apple Cinema screen). Unless one can replace the card or add a card and combine the signals somehow. The LG is 3440 x 1440 native.

I'm subscribed to this thread because I, too, am in Jim's predicament. I'm probably going to wait until the next round when native graphics on Macbook Pro's and the OS is at 4K, and then hoping there's a refresh of the cinema screen sometime next year to match the output. Currently using a nine-year-old 23" ViewSonic at 1920 x 1200 and a 2010 Mac Pro.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited July 27, 2014
    David, I am confused when you say the stock MacPro tower's graphic card can only output to 2560 x 1600. Have you found evidence that the UM95 monitor will not operate with a MacPro trash can? There are reviews on B&H's site using the monitor with MacBook Pros via HDMI and with trash cans via Thunderbolt, so I am confused.

B&H clearly says the new MacPro trash cans can support 3 separate 4K displays. The Apple website says they support three 4k displays OR 6 Thunderbolt displays. I cannot seem to find a quick source for a pixel dimension limit of the AMD FirePro D500. The screen display preferences do not display a pixel dimension limit that I can find on my MacPro trash can. The LG website clearly states the 34 inch UM95 is Mac compatible, and does not state a disclaimer about video cards that may be needed, so if it does not work with a Mac, I would be surprised a bit

Do you have any further evidence that the LG UM95 24 inch monitor won't work with a new MacPro tower without a special video card? I do know that the nVIdia card in my early 2008 MacPro tower only supports 2560 by 1600 pixels, that is correct when I check the system report on my older MacPro about the video card. But when I check the same panel in my trash can system report I do not see a stated limit of pixel dimensions with the AMD FirePro D500.

Why is this so difficult, it seems as if this should be made pretty obvious by LG or AMD or someone - Apple maybe?

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 27, 2014
    From Everymac.com: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/mac-pro-cylinder-faq/how-to-upgrade-mac-pro-cylinder-gpu-video-card.html

i-qdDFdkq-M.jpg

ne_nau.gif, but David's post doesn't sound right. I think he must be talking about the last generation Mac Pro.
    edited July 27, 2014
    Thanks Richard, that helps clarify the matter - so the MacPro - trash can - will definitely able to utilize the LG 34 UM95 monitor - Now it is just sRGB, but a very good one it looks like.

Is there a major reason to prefer an Adobe RGB monitor like the NEC Wide Gamut 30 in SPectraview II ? - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005477-REG/nec_pa302w_bk_sv_multisync_30_gb_r_led.html

I am sure the NEC Spectraview II is a very fine tool, but will I really be able to see and appreciate a difference. Hmmm...

It is considerably more money than the LG. And as I said, my printer really is an sRGB printer, not an Adobe RGB printer

edited July 28, 2014
    Jim, when you said in your opening post "MacPro Tower" I thought you were referring to a Pro model not of the new cylinder design, but of the 2010 or older (with older graphics). I did not know you had the new 2014 Pro. My apologies.
    My Smugmug
    edited July 28, 2014
    David, my post was unclear, I did not specify the trash can Mac, you are correct. I had thought I made that clear, but I did not, until later in the thread

edited July 28, 2014
    So Sam, is having an Adobe gamut monitor better than a fine monitor with a first rate sRGB display, especially if your printer cannot display the full Adobe RGB gamut on paper?

My printer can match the Adobe gamut. :D

Since the default color space for LR is pro photo why not be able to see it??

Sam
    edited July 28, 2014
    Thanks Richard, that helps clarify the matter - so the MacPro - trash can - will definitely able to utilize the LG 34 UM95 monitor - Now it is just sRGB, but a very good one it looks like.

Is there a major reason to prefer an Adobe RGB monitor like the NEC Wide Gamut 30 in SPectraview II ? - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005477-REG/nec_pa302w_bk_sv_multisync_30_gb_r_led.html

I am sure the NEC Spectraview II is a very fine tool, but will I really be able to see and appreciate a difference. Hmmm...

It is considerably more money than the LG. And as I said, my printer really is an sRGB printer, not an Adobe RGB printer

Ask Mac Muench what he uses.

You spent all that money on a to die for computer, then want to only see part of what is available because it might be good enough or you may not appreciate it?? Why not use USB2 connections for your external HD. It will work just fine, if on the slow side. :D

I can't believe you won't be thrilled with one of the NEC Spectaviews.

Sam
    edited July 29, 2014
    Good points Sam, I will have to go see a Spectraview II

edited August 5, 2014
    Good points Sam, I will have to go see a Spectraview II

Jim,

Just wanted to follow up with some additional information. My 2 yr old monitor has developed a defect on the right side of the screen that looks like a water stain. Obviously it isn't really a water stain.

NEC is sending out a replacement and covering the shipping both ways.

Buy with confidence. Can't ask for anything more!!

Sam
    edited August 5, 2014
    Wow, that is impressive, I agree Sam. I will look at the Spectraview II series carefully. I will probably make my decision by September.

edited August 19, 2014
    Jim, how's the search for your new monitor going?

This new LG seems interesting.
    My Smugmug
    edited August 19, 2014
    Yes, it does David, but I am not sure I want a curved monitor to edit images on, since they will not be on a curved surface when displayed.

I may wait until I see what Apple announces this fall now, since there seem to be hints of rumors about a new monitor - I can't be the only Apple MacPro user looking for a better Thunderbolt 2 monitor, I bet.

edited August 20, 2014
    There are a lot of us waiting for something new from Apple in a large monitor. I am fairly certain I'll be taking the plunge for a new MacBook Pro, if and when when they finally allow for native 4K hardware support. The OS can do it now, but not the graphics board on the current MBP. When that happens, then I'll be biting on both.

On the curved… I'm not convinced either, but there are those other double wide screens that are flat. There's another LG, same specs and size that is not curved.
    My Smugmug
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    I know what you feel, was the same thing for me. I have since 6 months the new MACPro .. i call it the I-bin …. A great tool, but no monitor. So I looked arround and tested a few… Finally I went for a 27 Inch Eizo CG277-BK monitor. With build in calibration…. Once you have seen he pictures the details in the darks… you will quickly forget the cost.. I have been running it for 5 months and would not want to miss it.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
    edited November 27, 2014
    edited November 28, 2014
    I am still wandering in the dark among monitors for my Apple trash can - I recently upgraded it to Yosemite, and I think it likes it much better with the newer OS, and it finally seems to be completely at home with my Promise Pegasus R6 Raid array.

But I am still working with my old 24 inch Apple Cinema Display with a matte screen, trying to decide between the UHD style monitors with all their pixels, but usually an sRGB color space, and the more expensive, smaller screens with fewer pixels, but with significantly larger color gamuts like the Eizo mentioned above. The price difference is noted, but does not really make the decision for me, more important is my long term use and satisfaction with the device. I wish there was a way I could compare both styles side by side locally, but I can't do that here in Terre Haute. Maybe is I look around in Indianapolis, but I am not aware of a situation there where I can compare side to side. D3Sshooter'sd recommendation is appreciated, and highly regarded by me.

I had hoped to let Apple make that decision for me, but the glossy screen of the current Apple Retinal display is off putting to my eyes.

I think Andy bought the curved version of that LG monitor, David, and he seems to like it a lot.

I continue watching, waiting, and will decide after the holiday season is over. Although prices may be better today with Black Friday.

This 31 inch 4K monitor form Eizo looks interesting - ColorEdge CG318-4K - but I cannot find a vendor or price on Amazon - a little more search reveals is is not shipping until April 2015, but I can't seem to find a price. If you have to ask the price, of course, you probably can't afford it - always springs to mind. But the video is impressive on Youtube

http://youtu.be/eZKrYKPr8cQ

edited November 28, 2014
    Jim,

I recently was helping a local pet photographer work through some issues with prints matching his monitor. He has a 27" iMac.

We actually set up his iMac side by side with my NEC PA271W. First thing that jumped out at me was the glare!! Yikes...........I must be too accustomed to my beautiful matt finish screen.

He uses a Colormunki calibration unit. We had difficulty lowering the luminance value to match my monitor at 80 cd/m2. and getting the colors to match my screen. Difficulty means no could do. :D

After our tests and trials he decided to purchase a NEC PA272W, and quite trying to fudge / swag settings / adjustments.

While the iMac monitor was nice to look at with normal (high) luminance values, I would not like to use it for color sensitive work or for printing.

Even if you get the small (?) 27" monitor it will be noticeably larger than your current 24" monitor.

Seriously, listen to D3Sshooter. Stop obsessing and fooling around. Go get ya an Eizo, or NEC.

You will not regret it!

Sam
    edited November 28, 2014
    Thanks Sam, I am leaning towards your advice, once past the holidays.

I am using my older 24 in Cinema Display on my new MacPro, because I already own it, and i still am using my other 30 inch Cinema Display on my older desk top unit that I surf the web on. Both Displays are at least 6-7 years old, so I have gotten my value out of them, but I have been unwilling to move to a glossy screen.

I know that most consumers prefer glossy high contrast bright monitors for gaming, and surfing.

I also know, however, that a matte screen is much preferable for image editing, and i wonder why Apple abandoned matte screens, as "creatives" have been a significant part of their consumer base, at least in the past.

I will not be obsessing much longer, I will move on, shortly after the New Year, I think. And I think I will take your and D3sShooter's advice.

Happy Holidays to you all!