Options

'Locked safe' mode

grannybuttonsgrannybuttons Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 28, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Is it possible to secure and 'lock' photos on SmugMug so that they can't be deleted even by the user concerned, at least for a period of time?

I'd like the ability for photos to be secured against nefarious or accidental deletion. They could perhaps be easily hidden from public view, but not deleted, except by court order - not even by the photographer or person who uploaded them.

This would prevent the photographer from being forced to delete them by third parties. There could perhaps be a user-selectable cooling-off period (90 days, 1 year, etc).

Is this possible now, or can it be added as a feature?

I'd also appreciate any general tips on how to protect against deliberate deletion, even against deletion by tech-savvy people. 'Preservation of evidence', in other words!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    By design, the logged in account owner has complete control over all content on the account and may delete any of its content at any time. Therefore we advise you to not share the account owner login with any other person.

Deleting photos, galleries or folders via the organize screen, you're always asked to confirm the deletion. To avoid accidental deletion, make sure to always carefully read the confirmation prompt and to stop for a moment to consider if you really want to delete the content. In certain cases, the organize screen even asks for a second confirmation.

If you do delete galleries or photos by accident, the Heroes on the HelpDesk are usually able to help if you contact the HelpDesk right away.

You could add a suggestion to the SmugMug feedback page for any feature suggestions. That helps us to keep track of all suggestions made.

On our Business account level, we offer the assistant password feature which allows you to set up a separate log in that comes with certain restrictions. For example, assistants cannot delete content. For details, take a look here. That might be what you're looking for if you're thinking about giving others access to your account.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    I'd like the ability for photos to be secured against nefarious or accidental deletion

This would prevent the photographer from being forced to delete them by third parties. There could perhaps be a user-selectable cooling-off period (90 days, 1 year, etc).

Something tells me there's a good story behind this feature request. headscratch.gif

I don't think this is something you're going to find anywhere. It just sounds like a bad idea. "I'm sorry, I can't delete the inappropriate picture I posted of you because I selected the option that doesn't let me delete it for 90 days." Umm, no. That's the sort of thing that gets you and smugmug sued.

If you're getting a lot of requests to remove pictures, consider not posting those kinds of pictures. Apparently people don't like them.

So you got me curious, what's the story behind this request?

Dave