Options

Safari ...

Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited September 24, 2016 in Location, Location, Location!
...will not a real one but i'm takng the family to Disney World FL next week and and one of the parks we are are visiting is Wild Kingdom. I want to be able to fluently capture as much as possible. For any of you guys who have been there, what would be the best lense to take along on the safari. My equipment is as follows...
Canon 5D ii & iii
Canon 17-40L
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 135L
Canon 70-200 2.8
Im convinced my 70-200 would be clutch but through experence is a wide angle needed? I have never been there and I hear the truck drives freely. How close to the animals do you get? Leaving Friday night.

Comments

• Options
    DisneyNutDisneyNut Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2014
    If this is a once in a lifetime trip take it all. If you plan to go to Disney often, thin things down. We've been there 15 times in the past 20 years. I used to take my entire line up of gear. Now, I usually take a Nikon Coolpix P7000.
    Some things you should know about the safari, they just drive right through the park. There is very little stopping. If they do stop for a photo op, make quick work of it because they wont be stopped for long. If you can only bring one lens on the trip, make it the 70-200.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2014
    Not planning on doing this trip again any time soon so I want to make the most. I was planning on for the safari to cary both the 17-40 and 70-200. I just don't want to be switching. Maybe if I hang one body and lens around my wife neck I can choose as I go. My concern is solely the safari… how close are you to the animals?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 7, 2014
    I don't know the ages of your family members, nor do I know how many family members are going with you.

What I do know is that Disney World is large, and hot in August, and frequently crowded with lots of people and lots of lines. Dealing with several cameras and lenses, crowds, and family members can be challenging for me. I suspect it might be for you as well. A large camera bag will seem like it weighs a ton before the day is over, as the day runs from early morning to long after sundown.

I strongly recommend you take one camera and a nice travel zoom or something like that, or two lenses at most. With a full frame camera like your 5Ds, I think a 17-40 or a 24-105 will cover the wide end. During the day I would favor the 24-105, but after dark and for fireworks I would take the 17-40. For the Safari I think the 70-200 will be fine. If you can rent a 70-300 IS L that would work even better for Safari as it is about the same weight as the 70-200 f2.8

Some of my images from Disney World circa 2005 are here, you can check the exif data for what was used to capture them - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Chriss-Birthday-in-Orlando-Dec/1048906_n6vwXV#!i=49275624&k=6JmkFcM

All shot with with a 20D or a 5D, and a 24-105 or 70-200. (There are a few birds shot with longer lenses that were not shot in Disney World but out on Merritt Island. )
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SFCityPhotogSFCityPhotog Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2014
    Funny! I thought you were going to Africa. But you are actually going to Disney World. Is that considered a real safari? What cameras would you take to Africa? I have some opinions, but would love to hear yours.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2014
    Funny! I thought you were going to Africa. But you are actually going to Disney World. Is that considered a real safari? What cameras would you take to Africa? I have some opinions, but would love to hear yours.

Africa is on my bucket list. I just dont know when i'll be able to cross it off.
  • Options
    webstha77webstha77 New member Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2016
    Africa is really awesome. I have been to Kenya, Zimbawe and South Africa. Really beautiful.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,193 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2016
    The Disney safari is kind of hit & miss in regards to how close the animals get. Some will be much further away, but sometimes the animals do get closer to the truck. Our truck actually had to stop for a group of rhinos that decided to lounge in the road.

Sherry