Options

Vendor Pro (Advice Needed)

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited November 13, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
ok... I need some advice here... this really came at random for me, and i'm not really sure what to think as of yet.

Is it a scam or does this seem legit? Are keywords really that good? lol

Email I received
wrote:

I've spent a lot of time at your Wandering Through Life website and I think your calendars are perfect for our stores. We work hand in hand with the largest stores in the country, plus thousands of small to medium sized specialty businesses stretched across the U.S.. If you want the opportunity to sell your calendars through major retailers like Target, Costco, Staples, Office Depot, Rite-Aid, QVC, HSN, ... plus the other 51005 gift stores, 7928 office supply stores, and over 24000 mail-order catalog companies ... check us out at
http://www.VendorPro.com

Sincerely,

"Name Removed"

VendorPro.com
Thanks guys... i don't know where else to turn,

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Looks to me like they charge you money to carry your product. I don't know if I would technically define it as a scam, but I don't think I would participate.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Hey Steve, the words "If you want the opportunity......stores",
    to me would imply that if you want to sell your stuff thru them you would have to be willing to pay them for doing so. I smell scam.
    I hope that I have been some help. Bob
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Hey Steve, the words "If you want the opportunity......stores",
    to me would imply that if you want to sell your stuff thru them you would have to be willing to pay them for doing so. I smell scam.
    I hope that I have been some help. Bob
    it would make perfect sense...

the first time i'm being inquired about my photos and it's a scam....

bah
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    strangeonestrangeone Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2005
    I dont think it is a scam, and to think so based on a few comments from some people here that have not dealt with vendor pro i think is wrong.

I been asking my self the same question since i got a simular email. It says on the website that it cost 340 dollar per year, wich is not bad at all if the buyers use their site. Im going to try it cos i think it might be worth it...if i did not sell anything from the contact tru them i did not spend that much money ( i have made worse deals before) But what i will do before i try it is to ask for reference (not the ones on the website) that i can contact on my own and ask question.

But i dont think it is a scam..it is a service you have to pay for indeed, but what is free now these days?
  • Options
    ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Hey,

I'll ask my boy-friend to look into this he is really good at marketing our website and picking out lemon deals. But, it looks like it could be worth while.
    Shannon
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    It looks like many others
    LiquidOps wrote:
    it would make perfect sense...

the first time i'm being inquired about my photos and it's a scam....

bah
    ... who offer to promote your site/resume/product/whatever to the potential buyers. There is not a single week that I don't receive a handful of this type of email. While most of them cannot be technically called scammers - most of them indeed will send your info to the promised target audience, the real question is "what's the freaking difference"?

Let me bring one example from not so distant past, when I was laid off and desperately needed to find a new job. There is a service called ResumeRabbit. In fact, there are many of that kind, I just don't remember other names. They claim they will send your CV to the tons of employers and thus drastically improve your chances for an employment.
    As I said, I was laid off, and not alone: one of my friends was laid off, too. I decided to consider looking for job as a very serious job itself. So I spent 8-10 hours a day in front of my computer, looking for job ads, writing letters, and such. My friend was younger, single, his skill set was more modern than mine. So he decided to hire not one, but three "resumerabbit"-like services, shot them his CV, paid them a few hundred dollars and started paying games.
    Well, guess what: by the middle of the second week I got an offer that ended up being my best job ever (80% salary increase for starters:-).
    He never got a single offer he even remotely liked, ended up with a low-paying local job (through the agency I referred him to:-) and eventually went back to Russia :-(

The bottom line: shooting your info to potential paying customers is good, but the real issue is: they never guarantee the outcome or your money back. It's just a form of advertisement, and, as we all know, advertisement is VERY expensive and only can be as good as you make it...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"