Problems with Calibration

2»

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »

You ask what my monitor settings are - that is hard to know. I can see my Luminance registered at 120 and instead of measuring at 6500 it calibrated at 6536 - even after I adjusted all Red, Green and Blue to register at 6502 prior to running the calibration. I'm thinking I've got the wrong setting for the contrast. Tomorrow I'm going to call xrite and hopefully they'll tell me what I'm doing wrong. I can't believe it's the calibrator - it has to be me.

I'm not asking for information from the i1 software. I'm asking for information from your monitor.

Like most better quality monitors your Dell 2209WA has an OSD (On Screen Display) menu where you can access various settings for the monitor. Such as Sharpness - did you know your 2209WA has a sharpness setting?

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa-part5.html

Unfortunately the screenshots here are from a German review. The settings I've inquired on come from these on-screen menu's. Brightness & Contrast have their own button on the lower right hand side of the monitor. The RGB sliders are shown when you access the "Custom Preset (RGB)" mode under "Color Settings".

The i1 calibration software should be asking you to access the Red Green Blue sliders during the calibration process. If you are not able to access the RGB sliders, it is because you do not have the monitor in its' "Custom Preset (RGB)" mode. I think all the other preset color modes disable the RGB controls.

2209WA User Manual
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_Display/dell-2209wa_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Back to Sharpness for a second, I use the Sharpness control with the Sharpness page from this website to ensure it is adjusted correctly. Some of the other pages are useful but cannot compare to the accuracy of the i1 Display Pro.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    Newsy wrote: »
    I'm not asking for information from the i1 software. I'm asking for information from your monitor.

Like most better quality monitors your Dell 2209WA has an OSD (On Screen Display) menu where you can access various settings for the monitor. Such as Sharpness - did you know your 2209WA has a sharpness setting?

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa-part5.html

Unfortunately the screenshots here are from a German review. The settings I've inquired on come from these on-screen menu's. Brightness & Contrast have their own button on the lower right hand side of the monitor. The RGB sliders are shown when you access the "Custom Preset (RGB)" mode under "Color Settings".

The i1 calibration software should be asking you to access the Red Green Blue sliders during the calibration process. If you are not able to access the RGB sliders, it is because you do not have the monitor in its' "Custom Preset (RGB)" mode. I think all the other preset color modes disable the RGB controls.

2209WA User Manual
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_Display/dell-2209wa_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Back to Sharpness for a second, I use the Sharpness control with the Sharpness page from this website to ensure it is adjusted correctly. Some of the other pages are useful but cannot compare to the accuracy of the i1 Display Pro.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Yes I knew the 2209 has the sliders to adjust Red, Green and Blue and I also knew that the 2209 has a sharpness setting. I use the RGB sliders to do my calibrations.

I called xrite today and they told me my blue channel on the 2209 is going out. I had reset my monitor to factory settings and when it came to the blue the calibration was telling me to raise it and since it was at 100% it couldn't be raised any more. They feel to that my other calibrator - i1display 2 was having problems because my brightness is going on it to. Just what I was told .. not a clue if it's correct or not.

Because my monitor was not holding the calibration - I was told that could be the calibrator, monitor or the video card. I'm to calibrate my new monitor that will arrive hopefully on Sat. and see how it works.

They looked at this -- and I was told it should be shaped from lower left corner to upper right.
    edited September 2, 2014
    So.... what are your monitor settings then?

For example, my 2209WA has:

Brightness ... 10
    Contrast ..... 80
    Red ............ 95
    Green ......... 89
    Blue ........... 95

110 cd/m2 and the RGB is in need of a new calibration but is not too far off.
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    Newsy wrote: »
    So.... what are your monitor settings then?

For example, my 2209WA has:

Brightness ... 10
    Contrast ..... 80
    Red ............ 95
    Green ......... 89
    Blue ........... 95

110 cd/m2 and the RGB is in need of a new calibration but is not too far off.

Brightness.... 10 ??

That must be a mistype ?

When I had the 2209WA I'm pretty sure mine was in the 70's.

And my 2412M's are @ 75.

Cheers, Don
    edited September 3, 2014
    My numbers right now are at -
    Brightness - 86
    Contrast - 75 (this did not change with the calibration - this is the factor set number)

R - 78
    G - 79
    B - 82
    edited September 3, 2014
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    Brightness.... 10 ??

That must be a mistype ?

When I had the 2209WA I'm pretty sure mine was in the 70's.

And my 2412M's are @ 75.

Cheers, Don

Don did your 2209WA wear out in the ability to calibrate it?
    edited September 3, 2014
    10 is not a mistype. The 2209WA as new is a fairly bright monitor without the ability to adjust below 100 cd/m2. Its' CCFL backlight does fade quite a bit in the first year, some people have said as much as 20% or more and then over time it will fade more.

From the Prad review...

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/revie...tml#Brightness

100% .... 274 cd/m2
    50% ..... 217 cd/m2
    10% ..... 140 cd/m2
    0% ....... 127 cd/m2

My U2412's are at 33/80 for 110 cd/m2.

PS... I think 70 may be the factory default setting for Brightness ~ 240 cd/m2 is a bit bright.

edited September 3, 2014
    Knowing that Dogdots has to use 86% Brightness to attain 120 cd/m2 (correct?) tells me that either the CCFL tube is on its' last legs or it could be the power converter unit which is a very common point of failure with CCFL backlit monitors.

But, I also think the RGB levels are too low and need to come up into the 90% area. Running them down around 80% will dictate that Brightness has to be increased to meet an expected level. Furthermore, if you drop the RGB's too low, you get into an issue with the monitor's internal electronics where you're in essence "off the map" and so you end up skewing the colors potentially causing strange gamma or color castes.

edited September 3, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Don did your 2209WA wear out in the ability to calibrate it?

Nope, I think it was two years old when I sold it and upgraded, it's still in use.

Cheers, Don
    edited September 14, 2014
    I wanted to give you all an update on my calibration problems -- it's been working properly since Friday :D

My i1Display 2 on my 2209WA just doesn't seem to work anymore. Why - well I've been told there are a number of reasons, but I'm going to leave it as 'it just didn't work' and not try to rack my brain in figuring it out anymore.

My new monitor - the Dell U2412M with the i1Display Pro has been working fine since Friday. I called xrite a few weeks ago when it didn't work and the person that was helping me gave me some info on set up, but not enough obviously since I still had issues - it still didn't calibrate properly and it wasn't holding the calibration. I stopped dealing with the problem to let my head clear and take on the matter again later. I again calibrated a few days ago and had the same issue - wouldn't calibrate properly nor would it hold it. Talked with Dell late Thursday night and they were going to reinstall W7 on Friday thinking it was an operating system problem. On Friday morning I called xrite and talked with another person that went through each step of the set up for my monitor and the i1Display Pro. Settings I was told to do previously were not fully complete to accomplish the process correctly. Once it was set the way xrite representative told me to do it .. it calibrated and has held.

I keep my fingers crossed every time my monitor goes to sleep or I shut my computer down and start it up again - thinking the calibration will be lost, but it's still there. How I thought the set up would be for the i1Display Pro isn't what I needed to do to calibrate it properly which I found interesting. I keep the Contrast setting to Native and Native is the factory setting. Also set up is to manually do the RGB, Contrast and Luminance (Brightness) adjustments, but when you come to doing them you uncheck the RGB and Contrast and only do the Luminance (Brightness). For my monitor I set the monitor setting to RG Phosphor. And the big key to this is keeping the graphic card updated. I was told the nVidia GeForce GTX 660 or nVidia in general is constantly being updated and needs to be kept updated and checked for updates. If not the calibration will be lost.

I'm sure the way I was told to do it is totally different for others, but this is working for me and for now I'm a happy person with a back load of photos to edit :D

Thank you everyone - I really do appreciate all your help thumb.gif
    edited September 14, 2014
    Thanks for the update Mary, good to hear you can put that behind you !

Happy Editing :)

Cheers, Don