Options

Lens advice (20D)

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited November 14, 2005 in Cameras
Now that I will have jlapoint's 20D in my hands shortly, I was going to offer a good deal on my DRebel to a friend who wants to start into DSLR's. Of course, I will have to include the kit lens with it, so the question:

Should I buy a replacement kit lens or something else in the same price range? Or nothing?

-background-
  • I have a Canon 70-200L f/4 and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 right now.
  • I lean towards zooms generally, not primes (but that's not ironclad)
  • I am occasionally annoyed that the 28-75 isn't wide enough for buildings, etc.
  • I am occasionally annoyed that the 70-200 isn't long enough for air shows, birds, etc.
Remember, we are talking about kit lens-ish price range only which limits things quite a bit. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Now that I will have jlapoint's 20D in my hands shortly, I was going to offer a good deal on my DRebel to a friend who wants to start into DSLR's. Of course, I will have to include the kit lens with it, so the question:

Should I buy a replacement kit lens or something else in the same price range? Or nothing?

-background-
    • I have a Canon 70-200L f/4 and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 right now.
    • I lean towards zooms generally, not primes (but that's not ironclad)
    • I am occasionally annoyed that the 28-75 isn't wide enough for buildings, etc.
    • I am occasionally annoyed that the 70-200 isn't long enough for air shows, birds, etc.
    Remember, we are talking about kit lens-ish price range only which limits things quite a bit. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    you could always buy yourself a 1.4x converter. those are quite effective and have a lower F-stop then the 2x converters. it would turn your 70-200 to a 98-280. Or... you could go for the Canon EF 75-300 III USM *can't remember F-stop off the top of my head* but it has quite a nice reach. and for an affordable price for those of us on a tight budgetthumb.gif

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    After looking on B&H at lenses close to the 20D kit lens, I found these two that may be about the same quality of the kit:

Sigma 18-50 f/3.5-5.6 DC lens

Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 AF lens

Not sure how they perform both mechanically and optically, but I would only guess that they would be similar to the 18-55 kit lens.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    If you're looking for a new (used) kit lens, email me and we'll talk about sending you mine. I've used it exactly once, and it's been in a box ever since.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    JCDoss wrote:
    If you're looking for a new (used) kit lens, email me and we'll talk about sending you mine. I've used it exactly once, and it's been in a box ever since.
    I already have one lined up if I want it. I just was wondering if there's something else worth getting in that price range. I never looked into low-cost lenses like this, only for mid-range ones with great value like the Tamron so I don;t really know what's out there.

Thanks for the offer though! thumb.gif