Options

Promoting Digital Downloads to Customers

SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited September 5, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
With my current business model selling digital downloads seem to me at least the most economical purchase for my customers. I have moved to white water photography and business is good. The downloads have a higher profit margin over prints, no shipping costs for customers and so on. I push the downloads on my Facebook page as well as a video tutorial at the beginning of each gallery.

I certainly don't want to take prints away as an option. My prices are extremely reasonable and I price the digital downloads very close to the prints. I would rather have a hi res download for 7.00 than a 5x7 that after taxes and shipping is 12.00

Any advice or suggestions ?

Cheers,

Keith

Comments

• Options
    CarnageCarnage Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    Hi Keith,

What you have done by adding the video to the beginning of the galleries is a good way to get across the benefits of ordering a digital download. Another thing you could do is add a text content block to the all galleries page with the same info as videos are not always watched and you message about digital downloads may be missed.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Anthony
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    Owning the rights to the digital copy is analogous to owning the negatives - if your initial print is ever damaged, or you want another copy - you can have another re-made. Savvier clients will understand this, but you may need to explain the importance of having a 'backup' copy just in case something unexpected happens, to those clients that don't make the connection.
  • Options
    SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    gschlactgschlact Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2014
    Skorri-

i wanted to see how you 'promoted' them.
    In case you weren't aware, you are currently allowing Guests to get the digital link and download your copyrighted images.
    Just as a reference/heads up, on one of your whitewater rafting galleries (aug16). Under the image, on the Share menu, Guests can see/choose: "get a link".
    This is controlled by the Gallery Setting: Security -> External Embedding. This will remove the ability to get a link.
    for me, I prefer to not let Guests easily get the links.