Mini-Challenge #192 - Repeat - RESULTS

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited September 10, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey Gang...
Thanks for the great entries and a fun one to look-at and judge.
I can see that repetition is something that catches the eye(s) of many photographers
and makes for some pretty interesting images, from the very small to the very large in subject and scale.

Many potential winners here, but as always, you've got to narrow it down, so, here's my favorites:

Honorable Mentions:

Alan's Grin - Power Grid
IMG_6532-Edit-2-XL.jpg
I love this image! The repetition of the triangles in the foreground and the background, and the triangle framing the background, all combine so well - great eye Alan!

WhatSheSaw - Sunflower
101_7173Adjust-XL.jpg
Great Macro shot of nature's ability to create textures and patterns that repeat. Very nice detail!

kdotaylor - Toothpicks
dsc_00082-L.jpg
Another cool Macro... this time a man-made pattern that mimics nature - resembles a photo-micrograph of molecular scale structures.

CHANDLERA - Jets
an7o5453B-L.jpg
Nice catch of formation flying - these shots are harder than they look to do well - light angle, background, panning technique, focal length, all have to work just right to get the shot.
Crop feels just a bit tight.

Third Place

wizardry - (no title)
IMG_8697_mod-XL.jpg
So many times the sky is not an interesting element in Air Show shots - but here, the clouds complement the back-lit smoke trails and make it much more dramatic - cool shot!
Hi D!... long time no see ;-(

Second Place

DonRicklin - of three types
IMGP1321-L.jpg
I love rust and I love junk!... so, this one hits on multiple levels for me. I like the repeat of (almost) identical objects in each layer as well as the repeat of layers in a diagonal fashion. Nice rust Don!
Suggest cropping/cloning-out that little bit of background timber showing in the middle-top.

First Place

ShootingStar - Double repeat
P1010076-L.jpg
Fantastic Image ShootingStar! First, just getting to this place must have been an adventure... and then, considering the location, subject(s),
direction of travel, etc., you probably can't plan the lighting or pose the subjects etc. You just have to be there, see the chance, and get the shot - which you did wonderfully!
I'm pretty sure that's you in the second camel shadow from the left, holding-up your camera...
Congrats ShootingStar - you're up!
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    Eric,

Thank you for the Second Place notice and the kind words on this piece. I will look into the question of cropping. I think this is the highest I have yet achieved on a Mini-Challenge, so thanks, again. :D

Love the First Place winner for its Double repeat! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    WOW
    Thanks Eric. I am very surprised as there were a lot of wonderful shots. But I am delighted.
    the travel was fantastic but taking pictures on the back of a camel is a very difficult exercise as you guessed :-)

I am currently traveling in Iceland. Wifi is bad tonight but I will try getting the next mini up within the next 2 days.
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    Shootingstar, that is an awesome shot and yes, I know what its like to be balanced on the back of a camel and trying to shoot something of interest while moving. Near to impossible, but you managed to pull it off! Have fun on your latest adventure! We can wait for the mini for when you have time.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    Thanks, Earache for an excellent mini and for the HM.

Congrats, ShootingStar! It is a really sweet shot.

Well done, everyone. I enjoyed all of your entries.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    Great shots all around, but the winner was my pick too. Congrats.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Sorry guys, I would have loved to run a mini for the first time but it is going to be complicated.
    Planning to chase auroras the next 2 nights and shooting all day. And will still be on the road for the next 12 days.
    So, with regrets, I pass my turn. Don, this is all yours.
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
    edited September 9, 2014
    Sorry guys, I would have loved to run a mini for the first time but it is going to be complicated.
    Planning to chase auroras the next 2 nights and shooting all day. And will still be on the road for the next 12 days.
    So, with regrets, I pass my turn. Don, this is all yours.
    OMG, down to me. I'll see what I can do fairly quickly. First, ideating on a theme! I'll try not to prolong things to much. Always a first time, I guess.

:D

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Rustoleum? :)
    edited September 10, 2014
    Next challenge up now at here.

thumb.gif

Don
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 10, 2014
    thanks Don! There will be other opportunities for you to put up a mini Shootingstar, if you continue to participate. You really do awesome work! Glad you are getting to chase the auroras!