Options

Nikon D750 announced

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 18, 2014 in Cameras
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2014
    :pissed Disappointed
    Don't see much of a change from the D600/610. This one looks more like a D620. Expected much more from a 7XX model
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Better AF and more weather sealing, yes? I have a feeling if it was 8fps a lot of people would be happier, but really there is very little difference between 6.5 and 8. 8fps still will not catch a baseball hitting the bat.

Seems to me it's basically a 5D3 plus some extra goodies for $1000 less. Looks good to me, but I'm not a Nikon shooter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    This may seem odd, but I'd like to see a size comparison to a D700. It looks small to me.
    Oh, and the MSRP for the grip? Hahahahahahahaha lol3.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    Icebear wrote: »
    This may seem odd, but I'd like to see a size comparison to a D700. It looks small to me.
    Oh, and the MSRP for the grip? Hahahahahahahaha lol3.gif

It's close to the D610's size so a decent bit smaller than the D700.

Also I'm definitely interested in this camera as a replacement for my D700, it does away with the main issue I had with the D610 (the AF) and I actually like the more compact size. If I do get one it'll be interesting to see the detail of the FX 24 MP sensor with an AA filter VS the D7100's DX's 24 MP without one.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2014
    I cant wait to see what Matt thinks about it.....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    LightMagic wrote: »
    :pissed Disappointed
    Don't see much of a change from the D600/610. This one looks more like a D620. Expected much more from a 7XX model

There honestly isn't much of a difference between the D600 class and what has become the D800 class anymore at least from my perspective. I shoot with a D700 and D7100 which should be very similar in size/layout to the D750 and the big difference is the loss of the dedicated buttons BUT even the D800 has lost a lot of that VS the D700. You no longer have the switches for focus mode or metering as those are now button presses along with control dials on the D800. It's just that Image Quality, WB, and ISO are on the buttons on the back of the camera VS having their own up top and in shooting you quickly get used to it. Also the AF switch is only AF/MF now VS C & S modes being selectable.

The big thing would be the size if you put really long lenses on it, otherwise I'm actually happier with the D7100 size wise VS the D700, they both feel like very solid cameras.

There are other differences like the 1/4000 max shutter speed VS 1/8000 so if you have very specific needs there might be a small difference like that which has a big impact on your photography.
  • Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    There honestly isn't much of a difference between the D600 class and what has become the D800 class anymore at least from my perspective. I shoot with a D700 and D7100 which should be very similar in size/layout to the D750 and the big difference is the loss of the dedicated buttons BUT even the D800 has lost a lot of that VS the D700. You no longer have the switches for focus mode or metering as those are now button presses along with control dials on the D800. It's just that Image Quality, WB, and ISO are on the buttons on the back of the camera VS having their own up top and in shooting you quickly get used to it. Also the AF switch is only AF/MF now VS C & S modes being selectable.

The big thing would be the size if you put really long lenses on it, otherwise I'm actually happier with the D7100 size wise VS the D700, they both feel like very solid cameras.

There are other differences like the 1/4000 max shutter speed VS 1/8000 so if you have very specific needs there might be a small difference like that which has a big impact on your photography.

I guess when I heard the name "D750" I was hoping for a D8XX like pro body with a lower resolution but higher speed, maybe like 8 - 10 fps - or maybe that was what I was looking for in my next camera :-)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    As many people are disappointed and thinking about "throwing in the towel", there are 2-3 people to take their place in line for a D750 I bet. Yes, I wish it had at least been given 1/8000, 1/250, PC sync / 10-pin, but other than that I'm VERY happy that it takes after the D610, and I'm also happy it has an articulated LCD. (shocking, I know)

In other words, I had resigned myself to never being able to use the same camera for my work (weddings and portraits) and my hobby. (adventures and astro-landscapes / timelapse) I had resigned myself to using a D800e and a Df combo, or a D800 and D5300 combo, or something... But the D750? I could buy two of them, and never need another camera ever again. Crazy to think!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    .......BUT even the D800 has lost a lot of that VS the D700. You no longer have the switches for focus mode or metering as those are now button presses along with control dials on the D800. It's just that Image Quality, WB, and ISO are on the buttons on the back of the camera VS having their own up top and in shooting you quickly get used to it. Also the AF switch is only AF/MF now VS C & S modes being selectable......

I used to feel very, very strongly about this, and highly favored the D700's button / switch layout and customizability over the D800's.

Then, Nikon went and offered a firmware update that allows you to re-program the REC button to ISO control, and the heavens opened, and my life was never the same.

Oh, and then I started using the face-detect command dial scrolling during image playback, and my life was never the same.

Those are two features that I'm almost certain the D750 will have, too, so in short, I'm done with both my D700 AND my D800e probably. Wow, I kinda just barely realized that. Which is kind of a shocking revelation, compared to how I felt when I first saw the pics and thought it was "just a D620"...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum