New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available

thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited November 21, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
Hey everyone,

I've now completed a replacement for the old SmugMug Legacy "bulk edit" tool, which allows you to see all of the photos in your gallery on one screen, and make quick bulk edits to photos automatically. You can get this tool as part of my Unofficial SmugMug Extension for Chrome, version 0.4.0.7, which you can install from the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd

After installing it, go into the gallery you want to edit, then click the SM icon at the right side of your address bar to pop up the menu (if you're using a custom domain, it'll ask you to give permission first):

pQp90hlh.jpg

Choose the option to "Bulk-edit photo details", and the editor will load:

0uwq1PK.jpg

You can freely edit the text in the boxes, or if you like you can use the "make bulk edits" menu at the right to apply edits to many photos at once. When you're happy with what you see, click the "save changes" button at the top right to save your edits to SmugMug.

Also new in this version of the extension is the ability to use it on your custom SmugMug domain name (instead of having to switch to your .smugmug.com one).

Note that the location of the "SM" icon has shifted outside of the address bar in this version, it is now found to the right of the address bar.

If you prefer to use the old Legacy SmugMug version of the bulk edit tool, you can launch it by holding down the shift key on your keyboard when you click the SM-menu option to launch the bulk editor.

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2014
    clap.gifthumb

He didn't mention that you can hover a thumb and a small size original ratio photo pops up so you can
    see all the photo content. I crop square thumbs tight to the main subject so now I can see all the
    other objects in the photo and add appropriate captions and keywords.

Th extension opens in a tab so after a save click other tab, refresh, and see results without closing the
    tool so you can continue to edit.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2014
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm unable to access the bulk edit options. I kept updating the extensions (both versions of the tool, one without beta in the title and one with unofficial as the start, were 4.0.7. Neither worked. Then I uninstalled both and reinstalled fresh from the Chrome store, but the options are not available.
    Edit: and the SM icon is outside the URL bar.
    edited June 8, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm unable to access the bulk edit options. I kept updating the extensions (both versions of the tool, one without beta in the title and one with unofficial as the start, were 4.0.7. Neither worked. Then I uninstalled both and reinstalled fresh from the Chrome store, but the options are not available.
    Edit: and the SM icon is outside the URL bar.

Typically, I again forget one must be IN a gallery before the options become visible.
    wave.gif

:poke

:dgrin
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2014
    Magnificent! A Godsend! thumb.gif
  • sixguntomsixguntom Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I've now completed a replacement for the old SmugMug Legacy "bulk edit" tool, …

THANK YOU! My god you just saved me so much grief. I'm still fuming they took batch functionality away and that's another issue but your tool put it back for me.
    edited June 24, 2014
    There's very little about this tool not to like. I use it every day as an integral part of my workflow and my gratitude for Nicholas's work grows and grows.

However, it has occurred to me that the Crop Thumbnail function might be further improved if, as the tool moves from image to image, the crop ratio defaulted to that used on the previous image rather than requiring the user to set it again each time.

Waddayareckon Nicholas? :D
  • James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    Hey everyone,
    Nicholas, you are a genius! I join the ranks of those who rejoice at your amazing contribution. How wonderful it is to have use again of the old bulk edit tool (a vital part of my way of addressing images). What is more, your own version of bulk editing adds icing to the cake.
    My gratitude knows no bounds - thank you so much!
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    However, it has occurred to me that the Crop Thumbnail function might be further improved if, as the tool moves from image to image, the crop ratio defaulted to that used on the previous image rather than requiring the user to set it again each time.

While it's not impossible to augment SM's tool like that (and that's a feature I've often wanted in the past), I suspect that any work on that tool will be obsoleted in the mid-term by the new thumbnail cropping concept that Baldy mentioned (that'll work on more gallery styles than just SmugMug-style). So I'm not super pumped to work on it :).
    edited June 28, 2014
    I've just came up with another use case.

In the bulk edit caption I want to add, actually append another line to a caption. In my case I'm adding
    the gallery name at the bottom of all gallery captions. I probably could add a
    in front of the new
    line but would rather not use html.

Can you add another option in the drop to add/append a "new line" of text to captions so it breaks to new line?

first caption line
    second caption line
    new added line at bottom <<<<

Thanks
    edited June 28, 2014
    Would the newly-added line form a new paragraph (i.e. with a blank line above it)?
    edited June 28, 2014
    Would the newly-added line form a new paragraph (i.e. with a blank line above it)?
    I hadn't thought of the extra line. I haven't added one here. But it might not be a bad idea. It would
    make it stand out, like a gallery name or race name or event name. Could be useful when viewing in
    places outside its home gallery.

Edit: on second though you could add space, append, add text, append. Then get the paragraph effect.
    So you could have both.
    edited September 12, 2014
    Nicholas, the tool is currently not functioning for the bulk edit part.
    A couple of notes start here: http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1968836&postcount=171

I just used the default SM tool to make a couple of edits (my first time doing anything serious with it), and I'll be honest it was painful. Highly motivated to reach you on the current problem. nod.gif
    edited September 12, 2014
    I meant to mention that I cleared cookies on all browsers, updated your tool (4.0.1), and my computer is very up to date. Chrome is Version 37.0.2062.120 m.

Earlier today I did a backup of my site and that had no problem. It wasn't until someone else posted the problem with bulk edit that i went and checked and cannot use it (same behavior posted on the other thread).
    edited September 13, 2014
    Looks like SmugMug has tightened security up a bit and I need to add a workaround; I've now fixed this problem with the release of version 0.4.0.11.

Chrome will auto-update to that version after a few hours, but you can speed it up by updating manually. Click the Chrome main menu button, then Tools -> Extensions. Tick the "developer mode" tickbox at the top right, then click the "Update extensions now" button. You should see the version number next to the "Unofficial SmugMug extension for Chrome" tick over to 0.4.0.11 after a few minutes.
    PTL! Thanks a million Nicholas.
    Thanks Nicholas, been a life savior. Updated version and works again.
    Oh thank you AGAIN Nicholas.
    Is there a danger of SM knocking you off 100% permanently?
    Some of us might need to prepare well in advance of such a tragic possibility.
    edited September 14, 2014
    SM could certainly make changes in the future that'd knock the extension out. However, the bulk editing / PayPal button / list galleries tools all use SmugMug's v2 API, which is designed to be accessible to programmers (or will be when it becomes finalised, at least). This means that my extension shouldn't appear much different from other applications which are written to use the API (like the Lightroom plugin for SmugMug) and there's no real reason to expect it to be blocked. At worst, you may have to accept some new permissions for the extension, or explicitly give permission to the extension in your SmugMug "allowed applications" list.

The website backup tool uses internal SmugMug APIs that were never intended for public use. If SM decides to lock these down a bit for security, getting it working again would be trickier.
    edited September 18, 2014
    Looks like saving title/caption/keyword will not save.
    I confirm what Allen sees.
    Under "Save" is a pink:

"4/4 failed to save
    Please try again"

I assume the edits were on 4 of the images.
    You're right - SmugMug has broken it again. I discovered it earlier today. ne_nau.gif

This is soul-destroying. No product announcement (that I can see) that they promise to make, just change the system and break stuff.

What worries me is concern as to what on my site gets broken that I never know about when they make these changes, and that I will only ever discover by accident or if a visitor happens to tell me. Who 'voted' for the changes that cause this? This goes on and on. How long do we put up with this cr*p?
    The crop thumbnails is still working.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    I will wait to install the extension. When I read that Nick has been able to get it working again, I'll try it. This is about the only thing that keeps me from finalizing my design and converting over to new SM. The stock caption/keyword implementation of SM's just isn't for me.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited September 20, 2014
    Okay, looks like security has tightened up a further notch. Hope to get things fixed in the next day or so.
    edited September 20, 2014
    Hope to get things fixed in the next day or so.
    clap.gif
    edited September 21, 2014
    I've now fixed the problem with the release of version 0.4.0.12.

Chrome will auto-update to that version after a few hours, but you can speed it up by updating manually. Click the Chrome main menu button, then Tools -> Extensions. Tick the "developer mode" tickbox at the top right, then click the "Update extensions now" button. You should see the version number next to the "Unofficial SmugMug extension for Chrome" tick over to 0.4.0.12 after a few minutes.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    Just installed it and it works awesomely! Works like the older SM bulk tool, but is even more advanced. Adding titles is a breeze too. Thanks, Nick!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    I've now fixed the problem with the release of version 0.4.0.12.
    Thanks Nicholas! :D
  • lhitchnerlhitchner Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Thanks for a great extension
    Hey thanks thenickdude. I love your extension that I just learned about and installed today.

I have been very frustrated by SmugMug's lack of provisions for formatting photo captions. After discovering that embedded HTML is supported in captions I was dismayed that I would have to edit each and every caption manually -- VERY TEDIOUS!!!

But with your bulk edit I can do that now quite quickly. However, it sure would be nice if SmugMug were to provide a gallery-wide customization where we can specify HTML format for ALL captions in a gallery or in all galleries.

So for now I am doing the following:

1. Type into the Caption box of the 1st photo something like before my caption text.
    2. Copy that HTML tag
    3. Paste the tag into the start of the Caption box of all the rest of my photos (still a bit tedious)

then

1. select Edit Caption
    2. select Add Text
    3. set the Text to

4. select Apply to All Photos

Does this seem like the best way to do that with the current version of your extension?

It sure would be a lot easier and faster if I could replace my first step of multiple copy and pastes with:

1. select Edit Caption
    2. select Insert Text
    3. set the Text to
    4. select Apply to All Photos

So, if you could add a menu option called "Insert Text" that would allow a bulk insertion of text at the _START_ of each caption (keyword, title) instead of only at the _END_, I would be really happy. I think that should be an easy modification for you to include. Hope you can find the time to do so.
    edited September 22, 2014
    Ihitchner, it sounds like you want to apply the same styling to all of your captions? In that case, you can achieve that by adding one global CSS content block in the customiser, instead of manually editing the HTML for each caption. The CSS would be something like this:
    .sm-lightbox-info, .sm-tile-info {
        color:yellow !important;
        font-size:16px;
        font-weight:bold;
    }