Tethering software for older cameras?

Woodrae25Woodrae25 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 24, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
I'm searching for working tethering software for my Mac 10.8.5 and for either my Nikon D100 or (preferable) a Canon Rebel 300. If possible, shareware or low cost.

I had been tethering nicely with the Canon using EOS Utility, that is, until I upgraded the OS from Leopard to Mountain Lion. Now, the software won't recognize the camera when everything is plugged in (in the correct order). Jeez. We're all just sluts having to keep up with OSs, let alone firmware adoptions, additions and addendums. What's a whore to do?

Any ideas? Thoughts? Websites?

—Andy

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 14, 2014
    You can tether with Light Room if you have that. Find the upgraded version of the EOS utility, 2.10.x.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Woodrae25Woodrae25 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    You can tether with Light Room if you have that. Find the upgraded version of the EOS utility, 2.10.x.

Thanks, Ian, for the thoughts. I do, indeed, have Lightroom, and it recognizes the Canon. But I cannot adjust the aperture, ISO, etc. The shutter button is live, but nothing happens when I click it.

I also have the latest EOS utility, version 2.14. I cannot activate the 'Camera settings/Remote shooting' option, which worked beautifully before when I used it with a previous Mac OS (Leopard).

Any other thoughts? I'm at my wit's end.
    Do you have the latest camera firmware installed?
    Possibly, and possibly not. It's version 1.1.1. Izzat current?
    Woodrae25 wrote: »
    Possibly, and possibly not. It's version 1.1.1. Izzat current?

It's not. The most recent is version 2.0.
    edited September 17, 2014
    Ian— The 1.1.1 version I referred to was my Canon, not the Nikon. I now have 2.0 on the Nikon (thanks to you) but both cameras are not working with Lightroom 3. Lightroom recognizes the Canon, but none of the buttons work. I can activate the camera from the camera's shutter button, but no images show up anywhere, except for in the LCD panel. Lightroom doesn't see the Nikon. At all.
    edited September 17, 2014
    Looks like 1.1.1 is the latest version for the 300D.

Looks like LR 3 doesn't support tethering the 300D so you'll need to go with the EOS utility.
  • kofakofa Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    You may try the free software darktable (search for "OS X" on the page):
    http://www.darktable.org/install/
    http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch04.html.php (Tethering chapter of manual)
    While neither of your cameras was not tested, they're both supported by the library (libgphoto) that darktable uses: http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/proj/libgphoto2/support.php