Options

Uploading, resolution, and that stuff

stanozstanoz Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 14, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I shoot with a Canon 20D.
What resolution (72, 96, 300) should I use when I upload to SM to ensure that if a photo is purchased, at any size up to the maximum size offered, it will be printed at its best possible quality?
Should I leave it at the 8meg size?
Also, should I do a "save for web" in CS, at what percent quality (20,60,...80), after I do my adjustment to my raw format?
This is extremely confusing!
Thanks,
Stan

Comments

• Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    stanoz wrote:
    What resolution (72, 96, 300) should I use when I upload to SM to ensure that if a photo is purchased, at any size up to the maximum size offered, it will be printed at its best possible quality?
    Also, should I do a "save for web" in CS, at what percent quality (20,60,...80), after I do my adjustment to my raw format?
    Thanks,
    Stan
    Resolution:
    The maximum number of pixels.
    Don't worry about the dpi/psi. The actual dpi depends on the size of the actual picture that the purchaser orders. For prints, the originally uploaded picture will be used (not one of the smaller sizes).

In Photoshop, make sure that your picture has a sRGB profile before saving it as a JPEG and uploading it to Smugmug.
    For correct colors, be sure to calibrate your monitor and to use soft-proofing with the ezprints.icc (file is downloadable somewhere from smugmug) before saving your JPEGs.

The JPEG quality: The higher the better. But the higher, the larger the files are and that will increase your upload times.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with Anton.

Also DO NOT use Save For Web - use "save as" instead and always deal.gif

All the best,
  • Options
    stanozstanoz Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2005
    Resolution:
    The maximum number of pixels.
    Don't worry about the dpi/psi. The actual dpi depends on the size of the actual picture that the purchaser orders. For prints, the originally uploaded picture will be used (not one of the smaller sizes).

In Photoshop, make sure that your picture has a sRGB profile before saving it as a JPEG and uploading it to Smugmug.
    For correct colors, be sure to calibrate your monitor and to use soft-proofing with the ezprints.icc (file is downloadable somewhere from smugmug) before saving your JPEGs.

The JPEG quality: The higher the better. But the higher, the larger the files are and that will increase your upload times.
    Thanks for the info---will the jpeg quality have an effect on the quality of the printed picture???
    Thanks.
    Stan
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    stanoz wrote:
    Thanks for the info---will the jpeg quality have an effect on the quality of the printed picture???
    Thanks.
    Stan

Yes.

If shooting in JPG mode only (no raw), use size Large on your 20D.

If shooting in RAW and outputting a jpg, when you are done, use SAVE AS and chose 10, 11, or 12, your choice - 10 is ample for most purposes, many use 12 anyhow.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    stanoz wrote:
    Thanks,
    Stan
    See posts here and here and here for previous answers on dgrin to this question. The short answer is the same as flyingdutchie offered. Ignore it. Provide smugmug with the maximum number of native (non-scaled) pixels possible and let the printer handle it from there.

If you want high quality prints, you should select JPEG compression level 10 in Photoshop when generating JPEGs. Most people seem to believe that a level higher than 10 doesn't help your print at all (though the file size balloons quickly) and at levels lower than 10, certain types of images start to degrade.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    stanoz wrote:
    Thanks.
    Stan
    Short answer:
    Yes.

But above 10, the visual improvements are hardly noticeable.

But more important is to post-process your pics correctly:
    -Calibrate your monitor (preferrably, use hardware such as EyeOne, etc.)
    -For ezprints (used by smugmug), set your working-space color-space to sRGB
    -Edit your pic (color correcting, sharpening, etc)
    -Download the ezprints.icc and do 'soft-proofing' using this profile.
    -When you pic looks good, save as JPEG, with highest quality in full resolution with the sRGB profile attached (happens automatically if you shot your pics in sRGB).
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com