The "not so engagement shoot" shoot

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited October 8, 2014 in Weddings
This is the shoot that was discussed in my earlier thread.
Just TLDR version : I was hired to do an engagement session, session transitioned from 2 to 13 people within a few days prior to the actual shoot. When I arrived on scene, I found this to be a wedding portrait shoot rather than an engagement/family sessions.

Both families are Russian. If you've not worked with people of that descent, let me tell you something about us. we may seem like we hate you, and ready to kill you. This isn't the case. We smile seldom, and when we do, we smile with a real smile and for those who are our friends or relatives. You will rarely see us smile at a stranger.
Naturally, there are exceptions (myself and my mum are exactly that) for which we have always been deemed "weird" until we moved to US. :rofl
Now, that you have the understanding, here it goes..

1. blown highlights galore
p235109036-4.jpg

2. Bride's mum, daughters, grand father... Yes, let that one sink in.
p658649791-4.jpg

3. His family
p730225194-4.jpg

4. the future family
p158767031-4.jpg

5. the whole crowd
p297777821-4.jpg

p600425356-4.jpg

p876741956-4.jpg

8. the "boy I wish I had my alien bees and assistant" shot..
p975996919-4.jpg

p575479352-4.jpg

p544787983-4.jpg

p841797782-4.jpg

p522819003-4.jpg

p425870768-4.jpg

p5828836-4.jpg

p94054704-4.jpg

p849852927-4.jpg

16. The "i'm pretty sure this is my favorite" shot
p867612544-4.jpg

p901223962-4.jpg

p426227049-4.jpg

p987952601-4.jpg
all in all, it went fairly well.

thank you for looking.

Bonus points for guessing couple's age. ;)
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    Holy !$&*)!&#!&#(!#(!&#!& crap - what are you on about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? these are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The family ones are what they are (and I actually like the whole family lineup - very nicely done).

I WANT THAT COLONNADED VENUE.

The only couple portraits I don't like are 7 (it's just not at the same level as the others, and looks like it's been shot in a subway entrance) and 14 (just kind of "meh"). The others are WOWZERS.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    thank you, Diva. :)

I agree on the #7.. It was one of those warm up shots, things have escalated from there.

here is the view of the back of that venue:
    p747012308-4.jpg

shooting the other way, would have been a church and library (where the columns are).
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    Hold it, Foques - I saw a couple of smiles in that set. You better do another round of deletions. :D

My favorite of this set is #13. The bokeh on the fountain is terrific.

The word Love in #15 and #19 - is that actually there, or did you Photoshop it in later? Very nice, very unique prop. I also love the ampersand in #9, but the frame is so blown out by the sun glare I completely missed it the first time around. That pose would have made an awesome silhouette shot against the setting sun, I think.

Divamum - I'm not entirely sure, but I'm sensing from your comments - you know, reading between the lines and such - that you may actually like this set. A little. Maybe.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    Aw, dang! Off on deleting spree I goo.

Both - ampersand and Love are the actual wooden props I picked up from Hobby Lobby a day before. I really wasn't planning on using those props for weddings, but it seemed to work well.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2014
    What is that place? It's amazing!!

And yeah, I think these are just stunning. You managed to pull gorgeous, editorial-style wedding shots out of what could have been a really awkward situation, and they are BEAUTIFUL.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    I am certainly no expert on wedding shots, but these are really great! I think I agree with you on #16. Could #17 be cropped in from the top so you don't see the dress tumbling down - it's only seen in the reflection? #8 is another favorite of mine, but it would be better, IMO, if you cloned out the top of the spire that's peeking above the staircase. I also really like #18 - with the cobwebs and the light, the atmosphere of that one is fantastic.

I'd guess she's 34-35 and he's 37.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    divamum wrote: »
    What is that place? It's amazing!!

And yeah, I think these are just stunning. You managed to pull gorgeous, editorial-style wedding shots out of what could have been a really awkward situation, and they are BEAUTIFUL.

It is a Saint Mary's seminary. I used to live not even 5 minutes from there. Now, they have become an even more narrow minded, greedy establishment than they used to, unfortunately.
    We were taking chances of getting kicked out of there at any moment. One of their people suggested that I file for a permit (to the tune of a "sizable donation" ) in order for them to decide if they will allow us to shoot there. :|
    I am certainly no expert on wedding shots, but these are really great! I think I agree with you on #16. Could #17 be cropped in from the top so you don't see the dress tumbling down - it's only seen in the reflection? #8 is another favorite of mine, but it would be better, IMO, if you cloned out the top of the spire that's peeking above the staircase. I also really like #18 - with the cobwebs and the light, the atmosphere of that one is fantastic.

Thank you very much.
    You're way off on both ages. Try again ;)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    Foques wrote: »
    You're way off on both ages. Try again ;)

Ok. One more wild guess before I give up (I don't consider myself good at guessing ages...)

She's 42, he's 28. ne_nau.gif
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    close enough. 44 and 27.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    I think you pulled it off very, very nicely, and the clients will be thrilled! This just goes to show what you can do when you keep your cool, talk it through with the clients, and plan everything out. Great job!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    thank you very much, Matt! It means a lot
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    I think you pulled it off very, very nicely, and the clients will be thrilled! This just goes to show what you can do when you keep your cool, talk it through with the clients, and plan everything out. Great job!

=Matt=

Agreed.

But you still charged 'em more, right Foques?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited October 1, 2014
    no.. well, not really.
    I stuck with the quoted price, they gave me a tip as well.

I've provided low res images (facebook dimensions), and explained that any printed materials or high res downloads would need to be purchased via my site.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • YMRPhotoYMRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2014

NICE!!! I totally agree about cropping the dress out.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    this is best stuff you have posted by far.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 7, 2014
    thank you very much. :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator