Child's Play charity - smugmug will match!

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited January 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

Sorta like we did with Hurricane Katrina, smugmug will be matching donations by our users to Child's Play, one of the finest charities I know of.

You can find details on my blog. You *MUST* include your smugmug URL in the email to us so we can properly match your donation.

Please post questions, comments, etc in this thread. I'll post periodic updates.

Don

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    In. And matched by smugmug? clap.gif very cool, Don.

I like that their costs are low and that the money goes directly to the hospitals.
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    In. And matched by smugmug? clap.gif very cool, Don.

I like that their costs are low and that the money goes directly to the hospitals.
    Just as a followup to what Don posted, we are planning to head to the Children's Hospital in Oakland to see if we can to get some great photos of the toys and the kids to really show the impact this charity is having.

Take a look at the map and if you happen to live near a Hospital and want to give of some of your time as well as your money (or if your budget is tight this year and you still want to help out), please fire me an email with details on the Hospital you want to photograph.

We don't yet know if this is feasible/something they want... but we are going to ask them and then we will pass along details. I would rather not have people flood their inbox and/or the hospitals' inboxes... which is why I want to coordinate things from our end.

This is well worth getting involved in... you should read some of the letters on their page.
    Smug since 2003
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    Wow, off to a great start! We're at $500 contributed so far. We'll pass our goal in no time at this rate.

Keep it up!

Don
    edited November 16, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Wow, off to a great start! We're at $500 contributed so far. We'll pass our goal in no time at this rate.

Keep it up!

Don

We're up to nearly $700 now, and we made Penny Arcade's news post today. All eyes are on us!

This is about the most worthy cause I can think of - sick kids need our help. So give generously if you're able.

Thanks,

Don
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence is wonderful, both my boys were born there. I fired off an email to see if I can convince them to get on the list. This is a cool thing! xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    edited November 18, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    We're up to nearly $700 now, and we made Penny Arcade's news post today. All eyes are on us!

This is about the most worthy cause I can think of - sick kids need our help. So give generously if you're able.

Thanks,

Don

Woop! We're up to $1378.92 and climbing! Keep it up, everyone!

Ben, have any photographers offered to donate time to go and shoot these kids getting all their gifts?

Don
    edited November 27, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Woop! We're up to $1378.92 and climbing! Keep it up, everyone!

Ben, have any photographers offered to donate time to go and shoot these kids getting all their gifts?

Don

I've been with my wife in the hospital ourselves for the last 9 days, I'm sorry I've fallen behind on updates. (We're having twins soon, and there have been some complications. It's going well, though.)

We're up to $1605.62, and I'm going to leverage the new smugmug message system to try to pump that number up.

Thanks to everyone who's been so generous, I'm sure we'll make our goal!

Don
    edited December 13, 2005
    My wife and I are still in the hospital, so I've been a little lax updating this thread. I'm terribly sorry about that.

But I have earned an every greater appreciation for how much this charity means to so many boys and girls stuck in boring hospitals all over the world. Please do donate if you can - they need your help.

Current total: $3391.14 and climbing!

Thanks so much, everyone!

Don
    edited January 11, 2006
    I received a letter today from the director of the hospital I donated to. He explained that they had been short of toys this fall, but the Child's Play donations had helped them have toys and books for everyone this holiday season. Way to go Smugmug for helping us all get involved! clap.gif

Honestly, I had forgotten all about the donation and I almost threw out the letter as junk mail. It was a nice surprise that brightened up this winter day. Now to fire off another email to my local hospital to try to get them into the program!
    edited January 11, 2006
    Just checked out the website - they raised $605,000 in 2005!!! thumb.gif